snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 06 June 2007, 07:39 PM

Spit Take "Boemerang": Erik Hartman laughs at his guests

I think we've touched on this one before, but it's worth revisiting:

--------------------

Comment: There is a rumor going around that the following video of a German talk-show host laughing at guests on serious subject matter is actually a sketch that was created to convince people that it was real when it really wasn't. This was found on youtube. I'm not sure how old it is, but I just ran across it within this past week or so. Did this really happen or were these just actors cast to make it seem as if the talk show host is really unprofessional? The rumor is that everyone, including the talk show host, and guests are all actors pretending this is a real situation of what occurred.

There was also different things being said of what language it actually is being translated. Some say Dutch...some say Belgium. The link is below.

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2dX0q7s9p4
Annotated version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXf3wx5nPXU
Old 07 June 2007, 08:10 PM

Icon102

Apparently, it's from a Belgian sketch comedy show called "In de Gloria". Any Belgian snopesters here to confirm? Just from a purely "why is it fake?" point of view... The "talk show" was supposed to have aired 17 years ago, according to the opening voice over. I don't think the fashions or hair styles are correct for 1990. Although I suppose USian and Belgian fashions could be pretty far out of sync.
Old 07 June 2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
There was also different things being said of what language it actually is being translated. Some say Dutch...some say Belgium. The link is below.
I thought they spoke Dutch in Belgium. At least, that's what my Dutch and Belgian acquaintances say.
Old 08 June 2007, 04:08 AM

Weird. I remember posting in this thread....

Anyway, the video was posted at another forum I go to. I don't speak Dutch but from what other posters said the man is talking about how the hospital messed up and castrated him and that's why he sounds like that.
Old 17 June 2007, 12:34 PM
wolbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElapheG View Post
I thought they spoke Dutch in Belgium. At least, that's what my Dutch and Belgian acquaintances say.
It is a little bit more complicated. Belgium has 3 official languages, Dutch (60%, French 35% and German 5%).

Anyhow, it is a sketch from 'in de gloria' played by Flemish (from the northern region of belgium) actors. You might recognize the guy with the funny voice as Lucas Van den Eynde and the talk show host as Tom Van Dijck. They both appeared in 'The memory of a killer' which aired in the US some time ago.

A search on YouTube will lead you to dozens of sketches from 'in de gloria'.
Old 17 June 2007, 03:17 PM

What's the big deal anyway? Doesn't Springer do that (ridicules his guests, laighing at their plight) daily?