snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 05 June 2007, 08:10 PM

Mister Ed Al Gore: Think leopards, not zebras

Comment: Did Al Gore once say, "A zebra can't change its spots?"
Old 05 June 2007, 11:07 PM

If he did he was probably joking.

This sounds much more like a GWB quote to me, though. Although it probably belongs to neither of them.
Old 06 June 2007, 11:35 AM
Base Ten

Poking around the internet, this is what I found:

A spotted Zebra.
"A zebra does not change its spots." - Al Gore, attacking President George Bush in 1992.
(Sources: The Toronto Sun, 11/19/95; May 13th page of the "365 stupidest things ever said, 1999 Calendar." ALL quotes from this calendar are from a book called "The 700 Stupidest Things Ever Said") The book and calendar are by a brother and sister team called Ross and Kathryn Petras. The original book "The 776 Stupidest things ever said" was printed in March 1993, and the calendar was printed August 1998.)

Base Ten
Old 06 June 2007, 11:39 AM

Of course the "I was the one that started it all" Love Canal quote attributed to Gore appeared the Washington Post and NYT, and yet it was a falsely reported quotation.

--Logoboros
Old 06 June 2007, 01:57 PM
Base Ten

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logoboros View Post
Of course the "I was the one that started it all" Love Canal quote attributed to Gore appeared the Washington Post and NYT, and yet it was a falsely reported quotation.

--Logoboros
Yeah, but I didn't find this in the Newspaper. I found it on the INTERNET. So it MUST be right!

Base Ten
Old 06 June 2007, 06:43 PM

Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Base Ten View Post
"A zebra does not change its spots." - Al Gore, attacking President George Bush in 1992.
(Sources: The Toronto Sun, 11/19/95; May 13th page of the "365 stupidest things ever said, 1999 Calendar." ALL quotes from this calendar are from a book called "The 700 Stupidest Things Ever Said")
In that case, then, the authors of The 700 Stupidest Things Ever Said incorrectly quote that Toronto Sun piece, which held that,
Quote:
And once, at a press conference, [Gore] solemnly declared: "We all know the leopard can't change his stripes." [From Jerry Gladman's "The Big Mouth Achievement Awards," November 19, 1995, Pg. 16.]
For what it's worth, The Wall Street Journal, not naming a source, printed the following in its September 20, 1991 issue,
Quote:
Tennessee Sen. Gore, blasting Bush for trying to appear pro-environment with his Grand Canyon trip, declared on the Senate floor that "a zebra cannot change its spots"; but the Congressional Record has him saying "stripes." [From Ronald G. Shafer's "Washington Wire," Pg. A1.]
Little tough to know what to do with the following snippet from The Congressional Record, which has Gore using "stripes," but there you go,
Quote:
Mr. President, the Bush record on the environment is a fraud. The gap between his rhetoric and his record is as deep and broad as the Grand Canyon itself. And I just want to say this: Anyone who sees George Bush as the environmental President at the Grand Canyon ought to look closely for Elvis, alive and well, rafting by on the Colorado River. A zebra cannot change its stripes by standing on a busy street corner in a city. And neither can George Bush become the environmental President by standing in front of one of the most beautiful and scenic places in the entire world. [From "Gore Calls Bush Grand Canyon Visit Environmental Hogwash," Wednesday, September 18, 1991, 102nd Cong. 1st Sess., 137 Cong Rec S 13202, Vol. 137 No. 129.]
-- Bonnie
Old 06 June 2007, 07:36 PM

Perhaps, if he actually did get the phrase logically correct, whoever was taking it down for one of those news sources was responsible for the blunder and it got attributed to Gore?

Just an idea - anyone can say a stupid thing. I had heard this quote before, but it started pinging my BS meter.
Old 06 June 2007, 08:09 PM

For what it's worth I thought the comment about Elvis rafting down the river was pretty funny whether he said stripes or spots.

P&LL, Syl'I thought he was at the Kalamazoo McDonalds'vanz
Old 20 June 2007, 01:46 AM

Reading

And since the congressional record may be altered by members of congress before it is released to the public, it is possible he said it, but corrected the printed version. Or more likely, a staffer did.
Old 20 June 2007, 02:24 AM

I thought it was from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

"The leopard cannot change his stripes. No, wait a minute. He did. Good for him!"