snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 04 June 2007, 05:45 PM

Default Ghost in Mirror of little girl

I didn't see a thread on this, so I'm hoping this is the first post...

Someone emailed me this at work. Naturally, being a skeptic, I don't believe it to be real, but I figured I'd ask here.

http://www.aolvideoblog.com/2007/05/...in-the-mirror/
Pay attention to the right side of the triptych mirror. I believe the 'ghost' blinks.
Old 04 June 2007, 06:00 PM

Icon401

Real or not, that is just creepy.
Old 04 June 2007, 06:14 PM
Malalaise

The "Ghost" doesn't do any movement that the little girl doesn't do.In other words it seems like someone simply put a small clip of the girl's face on loop in the mirror.

I remember seeing it first in a compilation of japanese ghost videos,it really freaked me out too.
Old 04 June 2007, 06:18 PM

Fake, and not all that creepy to me. Something about the image, when the little girl turns back to face the camera but the image doesn't turn back as well, looks a little 'off' in a way that I can't place my finger on. But I'm thinking it was manipulated.

Magdalene

ETA: Spanked by Malalaise, that's what looked odd to me.
Old 04 June 2007, 06:45 PM
Doug4.7

Icon202

Of course it's real. We don't have the technology to fake a high resolution digital video like that. We don't have the technology to add "fake" images to real people. I mean the real creepy part is when it repeats, only zoomed in. I mean, we don't have the technology to zoom in like that, let alone reverse time. It is concrete proof of the afterlife and the young earth theory.
Old 04 June 2007, 10:43 PM

Cute idea, I've never seen one like that before. Looks like that boy from that crappy Sarah Michelle Gellar movie The Grudge.
Old 04 June 2007, 11:12 PM
Mrs. Matthews

the creepiest part to me was the voice
Old 05 June 2007, 05:27 AM

comment from that page
Quote:
It's nearly impossible to superimpose or reproduce a mirrored and/or reflected image, let alone one in motion.
hahaha, I just watched 'The Craft' the other day, there's a scene with this almost identical effect in it.
Old 05 June 2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Cute idea, I've never seen one like that before. Looks like that boy from that crappy Sarah Michelle Gellar movie The Grudge.
Crappy? I actually found it to be one of the few horror movies which are actually scary (although, as usual, the original was better than the Hollywood bastardization).
Old 05 June 2007, 08:36 AM
We'veBeenHad

The Grudge was the second movie to scare me in recent years; after The Ring. Not as good, but creepy as hell and a couple definite screams. Hey, I was alone!

They did a similar effect in Dolores Claiborne, too, when Jennifer Jason Leigh was looking into the mirror on the ferry.
Old 05 June 2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Crappy? I actually found it to be one of the few horror movies which are actually scary (although, as usual, the original was better than the Hollywood bastardization).
Have you seen The Descent?

Not related to 'The Grudge' or "The Ring" or whatever, but way scarier.

Also, there's an asian horror movie called "The Eye", which is better than The Grudge and The Ring but not as scary as The Descent.

Anyway, back on topic, the video is clearly fake, but still kind of creepy, especially when it zooms in.
Old 06 June 2007, 04:10 AM
JD65

[QUOTE=Missie;199182]Have you seen The Descent?
QUOTE]

Oooh, yeah! That was a GOOD movie. Not so much freaky/gory/scary, but suspenseful...the best kind of horror movie.
Old 06 June 2007, 07:20 AM

I don't understand why the assumption would be that it's a ghost, even if it were real. In the narration, the claim is that it's an "old mirror the mother got from an acquaintance" but that still doesn't explain any connection to ghosts. If you're going to jump to unfalsifiable conclusions, why not a three-second time slip, or a dimensional error, extreme quantum fluctuation... I can think of lots of possibilities besides ghosts that are just as plausible (not to mention a whole bunch that are much more plausible).