snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 03 June 2007, 06:56 AM

Icon95 Walking on a Thin, Faulty, Attractive and Destructive Reasoning

On my walk through life, I have noticed one thing: Human reasoning is faulty and can get us into a lot of trouble.

One day, decades ago, as I was walking in the Walden Galleria Mall in Buffalo, New York, I spied a juice extractor. Now I am a long-time fan of freshly squeezed fruit and vegetable juices, and I had been keeping my eye open for such a discovery. One problem however: It was over $80.00! Now our means in those days were meager, and we had to be extremely careful how we spent our money. The price of this attractive machine was way out of our budget. I would simply have to dismiss it entirely.

For a few minutes, that is.

For some reason, that juice extractor kept popping back into my mind, and I soon found myself drooling after a cup of freshly squeezed carrot juice with ginger. I began reasoning with my wife: "Imagine all the delicious juice we could make with such a dream machine! I could drink my ginger root, carrot juice every day! How healthy it would be for us…"

My wife would patiently listen to me and point out some of the machine's weakness that I was neglecting to consider. Like how hard it would be to clean, for example, and how it would put a strain on our food budget.

I had a logical explanation for each of her objections, but for some reason, she hadn't fallen in love with this particular machine the same way I had. Maybe it was because she didn't particularly like fresh carrot juice . . . Yes, that must have been it! She was thinking only of herself. And that wasn't fair!

A few days later I found myself crossing the Canadian/US border with the necessary amount of money (taxes included) to purchase this "dream" machine. As I placed my newly acquired purchase in the trunk of my car, I tried to ignore the nagging feeling that arose in my chest. Instead, I turned my concentration to how to get this particular trophy into Canada without having to pay duty. (Isn't it interesting just how far our reasoning can lead us down the path of lies and deception?)

As soon as I arrived home, I proudly unpacked my juice extractor and set it on the counter. "What a beautiful machine!" I concluded. I then proceeded to make my first cup of juice. Ummm!!! I did notice that it took a lot of carrots to make one small cup of carrot juice . . . Kind of a waste of money . . . But I quickly dismissed the thought. It was well worth it!

I didn't bother cleaning up the machine. I was sure it could easily be done later. Funny how my wife often has other ideas! In the end, I did clean it up, and what a mess!

Between the mess it made and the amount of vegetables it needed to make just a little cup of juice, it soon became apparent that my prize was really worthless, and my $80.00 dream machine proceeded to live out the rest of its life as a counter-top decoration.

Notice how my reasoning led me to become self absorbed over a piece of junk. I had to have that juicer or else. My reasoning had made complete sense to me at that time, but in the end, it led to lies and financial difficulties. In summary it led me to sin!

Out with faulty reasoning, in with depending on the One who truly loves us and whose logic is far superior to ours!
Old 03 June 2007, 07:01 AM

Um, is "the One" also known as "the wife"?

erwins
Old 03 June 2007, 07:17 AM

Satan wants us to drink carrot juice? Why?
Old 04 June 2007, 11:07 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Out with faulty reasoning, in with depending on the One who truly loves us and whose logic is far superior to ours!
Looks like he chose to depend on the One before he decided to get rid of his faulty reasoning.
Old 05 June 2007, 05:53 AM

Flame oooooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Fizz View Post
Doncha know Satan works in mysterious ways?
Old 05 June 2007, 03:55 PM
interupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
On my walk through life, I have noticed one thing: Human reasoning is faulty and can get us into a lot of trouble.
Exactly! how can one NOT believe that a magical being breathed life into dirt!

Quote:
Notice how my reasoning led me to become self absorbed over a piece of junk. I had to have that juicer or else. My reasoning had made complete sense to me at that time, but in the end, it led to lies and financial difficulties. In summary it led me to sin!
There is only one type of machinery that leads to sin

Quote:
Ooh ooh I know this one! We should be happy that God gives our loved ones cancer to die horribly, or suddenly get wiped out in a car accident leaving your partner destitute with young children. It makes complete sense to God, and hey his logic is far superior to mine, so don't worry your pretty little head with thought or reason.

Old 05 June 2007, 09:09 PM
lazerus the duck

and this One who "truly loves us and whose logic is far superior to ours!" logic is don't buy something that will make healthy good for you drinks, because it's too much work and needs you to make an effort.
Hmmm....Not a bad message in a glurge for a change.
Old 06 June 2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Fizz View Post
Witchsmeller: (opening his Bible) The Ten Commandments of Jeremoth, in the

Appendix to the Apocrypha: "And the Lord said unto the children

of Bedinibott, `Neither shalt thou eat the fruit of the tree

that is known as the Carrot Tree'."
Old 06 June 2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerus the duck View Post
and this One who "truly loves us and whose logic is far superior to ours!" logic is don't buy something that will make healthy good for you drinks, because it's too much work and needs you to make an effort.
Hmmm....Not a bad message in a glurge for a change.
You would have thought the One would have made it easy to extract juice from carrots.
Old 08 June 2007, 08:09 PM

Hmm, evil juicer, eh? Did it happen to look anything like this?
Old 08 June 2007, 08:19 PM

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Um, is "the One" also known as "the wife"?

erwins
Otherwise known as "She Who Must Be Obeyed."

Were the OP author possessed of a higher level of reasoning, he might have considered another explanation. Rather than his personal experience being irrefutable proof that all human reasoning is worthless, one might advance an alternative hypothesis that the OP author is simply an idiot.

After all, if he was that easily seduced by a worthless juicer, how well shall I assume he chose his religion?
Old 11 June 2007, 09:58 PM

That is perhaps the most uninspiring inspirational piece EVER.

And why is his conclusion that God's reasoning is so much more superior when his wife evidently had no problem avoiding the lure of the satanic juicer? Why isn't his conclusion more along the lines of "My wife is much smarter than me"? Oh, that's right...she's a woman!
Old 02 July 2007, 02:57 PM

Stupid guy! All he had to do was juice watermelons instead of (blech!) carrots and he would have been left with at least twice as much juice and way less of a mess to clean up. Plus, watermelons also have a bunch of vitamin A in them, so the carrots are almost completely unnecessary. Plus, $80 is a damn good price for a juicer.