snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 January 2018, 04:00 PM

Default Kevin McCarthy relishes role as Trumpís fixer, friend and candy man

Kevin McCarthy relishes role as Trump’s fixer, friend and candy man

Quote:
McCarthy is aggressive but hardly alone in his embrace. Many Republicans once thought of Trump as a crude intruder but have since developed relationships with the president to try to guide and influence him.
". . . to guide and influence him." Right. Certainly not because they're power-hungry, amoral sycophants, seeking to advance their own interests.

Also:

Quote:
McCarthy offered another reason for his connection with Trump: They both like to talk a lot while watching movies.

“He likes to talk through the movie, and I like to talk through the movie — just ask my wife,” McCarthy said.

ETA: He pretty much admits he's a suck-up:

Quote:
“He remembers everything,” McCarthy said. “Of course I put my name on the jar [of red and pink Starbursts].”
Old 16 January 2018, 06:51 PM

Lady MacBeth guided and influenced her husband.
Old 16 January 2018, 06:57 PM

And then went mad while Macbeth became more and more bloodthirsty. I guess Trump's suck ups won't go mad but eventually he won't be president and eventually (with any luck) he may even be forced to face the music. I wonder what will happen to them then? Pinning your hopes on a lying liar who lies, and who will turn on you when you no longer meet his needs is a move that seems guaranteed to backfire sooner or later!
Old 16 January 2018, 08:33 PM

Hopefully sooner, rather than later. For everyone's sake.
Old 17 January 2018, 12:37 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post

". . . to guide and influence him." Right. Certainly not because they're power-hungry, amoral sycophants, seeking to advance their own interests.
That's basically it. The GOP sold their souls for money and power and just flat-out don't care anymore. No matter how far south things go, they've got the money needed to buy their way out of trouble, so they really don't care. If enough of the public turns against Trump, threatening their access to power, the GOP will suddenly grow a conscience and trip all over themselves to denounce him and pretend like they've been opposed to him all along, but so long as it doesn't affect them or anyone they care about...again, they just don't care.

I keep trying to pinpoint the precise historical moment the GOP went insane and basically ceased to be a political party and became a doomsday cult. I've said before that Eisenhower was the last GOP president who didn't leave his country in worse shape than it was when he took office, and I stand by it, but I'm curious as to when the insanity set in. Richard Nixon was crazy and paranoid as hell, but what was the rest of his political party like? My theory is maybe it set in with Reagan, because that's when the Christian Right began to dominate the scene and the GOP went out of their way to seal their alliance with them, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Old 17 January 2018, 11:51 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
that's when the Christian Right began to dominate the scene and the GOP went out of their way to seal their alliance with them, but maybe I'm mistaken.
As much as I liked Reagan, letting the bible-thumpers was a huge--dare I say huuuuuggggeeee?--mistake. I was a registered Republican until about 20 years ago. Like many other people in the country, I'm now an independent. I have no regrets, but I'm glad I 'got out' when I did. Doubly glad now! You have no idea!!
I heard on the news this morning that a Virginia pol has recently changed his affiliation from GOP to independent because of the very things we're discussing.
But did the news station's website have a link? Nooooo. They're in full OMG-it's-snowing-we're-all-gonna-die!!! mode. Keeping people informed is one thing, panicking is another.

ETA: Now I've got that Sammy Davis Jr song on my mind--thanks! NOT!!
Old 17 January 2018, 02:49 PM

I don't think you can pinpoint the exact time any more than you could say for certain when an actual person got a mental (or in many cases physical) disorder. Can you pinpoint the exact hour when you got better from your last cold?

Certainly adding in the Religious Right was a step. So was pretty much everything they did against Bill Clinton (and later Hillary). The Swift Boating of Kerry is probably part of it too. While a likely result of previous actions, the creation (and incorporation) of the Tea Party movement may have been the point of no return.

The danger with focusing on picking the one moment is that it assumes that there is a single cause when the process has been a long slide of increasing immoral choices. As such, the solution would have to be a long climb of moral choices, not a single undoing. It would be like if AA had a one-step program.

Also, does this part bother anyone else:
Quote:
According to two people familiar with the presentation, Trump appreciated McCarthy’s use of pictures and charts rather than a memo. It was a basic and “foundational” presentation that explained midterm politics to Trump, in the words of one senior White House official. [bolding mine]
A "basic and 'foundational'" presentation should be more detailed than can be explained with images.
Old 17 January 2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I don't think you can pinpoint the exact time any more than you could say for certain when an actual person got a mental (or in many cases physical) disorder. Can you pinpoint the exact hour when you got better from your last cold?

Certainly adding in the Religious Right was a step. So was pretty much everything they did against Bill Clinton (and later Hillary). The Swift Boating of Kerry is probably part of it too. While a likely result of previous actions, the creation (and incorporation) of the Tea Party movement may have been the point of no return.

The danger with focusing on picking the one moment is that it assumes that there is a single cause when the process has been a long slide of increasing immoral choices. As such, the solution would have to be a long climb of moral choices, not a single undoing. It would be like if AA had a one-step program.

Also, does this part bother anyone else:

A "basic and 'foundational'" presentation should be more detailed than can be explained with images.
Seconded!

Looking for a key point is like saying "World War 1 was caused by the assassination of the Archduke" or "The civil war was about State rights"
Those thing may have been trigger elements, but they are not the whole story...
Old 17 January 2018, 05:06 PM

I would probably peg the Southern Strategy as the first point on that line, when it was made clear that winning elections was much more important than ideology. But as you say, it's blurry.

Though the American Civil War was never about States' Rights, that was a lie that was spread as part of the Lost Cause of the South to make the Confederacy seem more sympathetic.
Old 18 January 2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I would probably peg the Southern Strategy as the first point on that line, when it was made clear that winning elections was much more important than ideology. But as you say, it's blurry.

Though the American Civil War was never about States' Rights, that was a lie that was spread as part of the Lost Cause of the South to make the Confederacy seem more sympathetic.
I knew that, but I wanted to put something about the civil war that no one could come back and say, "no, it was about THAT" as one would about slavery.

ETA: I also want to point out that, in part... the Southern Strategy is influenced by the fall out from the Civil war, and blah blah blah...

Last edited by Alarm; 18 January 2018 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 19 January 2018, 01:21 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post

I suppose you have a point. In likelihood, it's bad choices on top of bad choices spread out over several decades. But I still find it fascinating to ponder.

I apologize for this not being an equivalent metaphor, but many talk about how The Simpsons has basically become a zombie show in that it continues to keep going, despite there being no spark of creativity or life behind any episodes. The general consensus as to when the show started on the path of zombification, reached a point of no return, or jumped the shark (pick whatever terminology you feel is fitting), is with the infamous episode "The Principal and the Pauper," which was the second episode of season nine.

It's not so much that there were never any good episodes after that one--there were some good, even great ones--but that episode marked a turning point in the show that would only be exacerbated with each passing season. The show never regained the creative momentum it had going before that episode.

Back to the GOP, I know there probably wouldn't be any exact days like November 17, 1971, but it'd be interested to pin down a general window. Crocoduck may be right in that it started with the Southern Strategy and with each subsequent decade, the crazy just grew more and more entrenched. Making "Racist Idiots" an essential part of your voting bloc, only leads to crazy.