snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 05 November 2017, 08:46 PM

No Several Casualties Reported in Texas Church Shooting

Multiple people were killed after a gunman opened fire in a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, on Sunday, officials said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ooting-n817751
Old 05 November 2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
He added that based on what he knew he did not believe the incident was related to terrorism, but "was some kind of other incident that has to do with the church or the community."
It may have been politically motivated, but we're absolutely certain it wasn't terrorism.
Old 05 November 2017, 10:31 PM

Icon06

I am absolutely heartbroken.

I haven't gotten over the last shooting yet and this one has happened.

I want to bury my head in the pillows and let the world recover without me.

Ugh.
Old 05 November 2017, 10:41 PM

I’m feeling the same way. I just want to shut myself away from the horror for the rest of my life. My poor heart can’t deal with this NFBSK. Every. Single. Week.
Old 05 November 2017, 11:05 PM

Apparently not important enough to interrupt the NASCAR race although one of the commentators during the race mentioned it and said their prayers were with the people of Sutherland. The NASCAR race was in Fort Worth.

Nor has it been mentioned during the Dallas Cowboys game until half time when our local news mentioned it and CBS had a special report.
Old 05 November 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Nor has it been mentioned during the Dallas Cowboys game until half time when our local news mentioned it and CBS had a special report.
It happened a couple hours before the Cowboys' game started. They did interrupt the Colts' game, which was being played when the attack was first reported.
Old 06 November 2017, 12:03 AM

Per US News & World Report:

Quote:
Two officials have identified the suspect in a mass shooting at a Texas church as Devin Kelley.

The U.S. official says Kelley lived in a suburb of San Antonio and that he doesn't appear to be linked to organized terrorist groups. The official says investigators are looking at social media posts Kelley may have made in the days before Sunday's attack, including one that appeared to show an AR-15 semiautomatic weapon.
I don't know that I would take any of the following as certain, but other pages are reporting that he was court-martialed 3 years ago by the US Air Force; that he had taught Bible school but also had 'liked' pages about atheism; that apparently a local resident wrestled the rifle away from him as he exited the church; and that he was found in his wrecked car, dead from a gunshot wound - it's unknown whether it was self-inflicted. The photos show what I would call a pretty nondescript middle-aged white guy, which (sigh) isn't surprising, as that seems to be about the most dangerous demographic out there.

Slight edit: He was actually 26, so not quite middle-aged, but still in the danger zone.

Last edited by E. Q. Taft; 06 November 2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06 November 2017, 02:08 AM

Mouse

I'm starting to think the Snopes Messageboard should just have a section devoted to mass shootings the way we did for Hurricane Katrina. If not a section, we should have a thread, because son of a NFBSK... I imagine whoever at The Onion wrote that article "'No Way to Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Happens" spends their days drinking and sobbing and I completely understand why. NFBSK this shit!

Last edited by Mouse; 06 November 2017 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Took Out An Emoji
Old 06 November 2017, 03:14 AM

And given that the death toll as of now is something like 26, the original headline "several casualties" is vastly, vastly under-reported.
Old 06 November 2017, 03:31 AM

When it was posted, it was breaking news and details were scarce.

Only minutes after posting it, ABC News posted an article saying the death toll was "reportedly at 14, but likely to climb."

~Psihala
(*News may travel fast these days, but the details take their own time emerging.)
Old 06 November 2017, 03:39 AM

Fair enough. I only heard about the shooting when I got home from work around 6:00, by then the death toll had obviously risen.
Old 06 November 2017, 06:23 AM

Is there anything known about the racial make-up of the church's community? In other words, could racisism be a motiv? I havn't seen anything reported.

Given that the shooter seems to be local, it could be a personal motiv, too, of course.

"Gun rights activists" will probably have a field day from the news that he fled when a proverbial "good guy with a gun" showed up - after kiling all these people, of course...
Old 06 November 2017, 07:27 AM

You can see demographic information here. https://www.bestplaces.net/people/zi..._springs/78161.

It is a tiny town, with fewer than 650 people. It is 94% white, with the primary minority being Native American.
Old 06 November 2017, 07:52 AM

Erwins covered the demographic. This CBS News article discusses the church itself.

It's interesting to me that this church seems to regularly post on YouTube. The article suggests authorities are looking to see if there was any video was being recorded at the time. It also has me wondering if the gunman knew about this.

~Psihala
(*Not withstanding our idiot of a president already claiming it was a mental health issue, not a gun issue that led to the shooting. The pres shooting his mouth off I can believe is a mental issue, but I think we should, you know, wait for the authorities to investigate before making these sorts of claims?)
Old 06 November 2017, 09:14 AM

From that article:
Quote:
Services are offered in English and Spanish ...
That doesn't rule out a racist motiv, although it is not implied anywhere. I probably should wait for authorities to find out more.

To read about the pastor and his wife losing their daughter is very sad.

To Trump it must be a mental healthy issue. It wasn't a muslim gunman, and he wasn't black. Guns can't be the problem, so what remains must be the reason.
Old 06 November 2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
"Gun rights activists" will probably have a field day from the news that he fled when a proverbial "good guy with a gun" showed up - after kiling all these people, of course...
Yes, Trump's already said that, as well as the mental health thing:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hurch-shooting

Quote:
“We have a lot of mental health problems in our country, as do other countries, but this isn’t a guns situation … we could go into it but it’s a little bit soon to go into it. Fortunately somebody else had a gun that was shooting in the opposite direction, otherwise it wouldn’t have been as bad as it was, it would have been much worse."
Old 06 November 2017, 02:54 PM

Sadly that's the most american headline in the OP that I could think of.

And yet, I'd be be castigated if I pointed out the obvious reason that it shouldn't surprise me.
Old 06 November 2017, 02:56 PM

From NPR story here:

Quote:
Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek [ . . .] says he was court-martialed in 2012 for assaulting his wife and child [ . . . ]

The Express News says [ . . . ]

"A law enforcement official told the San Antonio Express-News that Kelley wasn't believed to be a member of First Baptist Church, but had ties to the church through family members.
Gee, it's not a problem that people with previous assault convictions can easily get their hands on military-type weapons . . .
Old 06 November 2017, 03:17 PM

Not surprising: The Relationship Between Domestic Violence And Mass Shootings
Old 06 November 2017, 04:46 PM

Baseball

The thing that has my goat today is that President Trump claims that it is not a gun issue, but a mental health issue.

Yet, the goofball removed restrictions on accessing weapons by those with mental health concerns by executive order.

Argh