snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 01 June 2018, 03:56 PM

Glasses

Last night, from the high seat of a tow truck, I saw a Maserati that actually looked like a Maserati should (although, sadly, it was being driven by an asshat). I also saw a car with a logo that neither the tow truck driver nor I recognized. It was a stylized M, and looked like a cross between the Infiniti & Mazda symbols. I can't find it on line, because I can't figure out to search images and get only Ms and only car logos.

Seaboe
Old 01 June 2018, 04:22 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Last night, from the high seat of a tow truck, I saw a Maserati that actually looked like a Maserati should (although, sadly, it was being driven by an asshat). I also saw a car with a logo that neither the tow truck driver nor I recognized. It was a stylized M, and looked like a cross between the Infiniti & Mazda symbols. I can't find it on line, because I can't figure out to search images and get only Ms and only car logos.

Seaboe
There is a site that catalogs logos, but it's hard to search and has a lot of those "download this app" links. Try a Google image search of site:car-logos.com. Could it have been one of the Daewoo logos?
Old 01 June 2018, 08:29 PM

On the way to work yesterday I saw a Ford Courier. It wasn't just odd in that it's a vehicle you don't see much anymore, but the owner had replaced the original side mirrors with Japanese-style ones. That is to say they were mounted farther forward, above the fenders (apparently that's where they're required to be in Japan, or at least they were in the 60s and 70s), rather than next to the windows as is the usual place in the US. It's not entirely inappropriate for the truck; it was a Japanese (Mazda) pickup that was rebadged as a Ford, but that's not how it would have been sold in the US.
Old 01 June 2018, 08:38 PM

I saw a Bricklin yesterday. It was parked in the middle of a bunch of other cars and all the was visible was the front bumper. I saw it for a split second and was able to identify it. But just to be sure, I went back and checked. It really was a Bricklin. It's for sale if anyone is masochistic enough to want one.
Old 02 June 2018, 05:51 AM

Paraphrasing a conversation overheard between two coworkers: "I had a question about a comment you wrote before I was born". A few more years and it will be me they're saying that to.
Old 02 June 2018, 05:28 PM

Baseball

I'm in Ottawa this week. And I've noticed this this week. People waiting at crosswalks are standing in the street waiting for their lights. And this is not because there are 30 people on the corner. It makes for right turns to be a lot more challenging.

For example, going down a street and I have a green light. People wanting to cross from right to left are standing in the right part of my lane waiting for the light to change. If I want to turn right, I have to be very wary because they don't just stand on the main street, but also on the street on the corner, and around the corner.

I did not see it that often last year, but three times this week tells me that it is growing a bit.
Old 03 June 2018, 01:01 PM

May I suggest you get a brush guard installed on your vehicle. That way if you hit one of those pedestrians standing in the roadway, your radiator won't be damaged.
Old 04 June 2018, 11:58 AM

At Target yesterday: a man in a kilt.
Old 04 June 2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Last night, from the high seat of a tow truck, I saw a Maserati that actually looked like a Maserati should (although, sadly, it was being driven by an asshat).
What should a Maserati look like, out of interest? As a brand they're not unusual around these parts - slightly less common than Aston Martins but there are still a fair number around, especially in railway station car parks - but I can't think of any in particular that stand out, except perhaps the MC12 (which I've seen one of, once, in the window of a dealership outside Egham, and apparently they only made 50 so it's very rare by any standards), or older "classic" models from the 1970s or before, which I don't see either. Their current range mostly seems to have a generic nondescript understated luxury/performance look, to me.
Old 04 June 2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I'm in Ottawa this week. And I've noticed this this week. People waiting at crosswalks are standing in the street waiting for their lights. And this is not because there are 30 people on the corner. It makes for right turns to be a lot more challenging.

For example, going down a street and I have a green light. People wanting to cross from right to left are standing in the right part of my lane waiting for the light to change. If I want to turn right, I have to be very wary because they don't just stand on the main street, but also on the street on the corner, and around the corner.

I did not see it that often last year, but three times this week tells me that it is growing a bit.
Might be a habit people have gotten into because of the new bike lanes?
Old 04 June 2018, 02:15 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
What should a Maserati look like, out of interest?
To me, Maserati is an exotic name, and the car should look exotic, and sporty. This is neither exotic nor sporty, and is the model of Maserati I see most often. The one I saw on Thursday was more like this.

The only out of place thing I've seen today was a tennis ball in the street. Since my neighborhood is heavily populated by dogs, and there is both a dog oasis and a park nearby, I can't say seeing a random tennis ball is very odd.

Seaboe
Old 04 June 2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
To me, Maserati is an exotic name, and the car should look exotic, and sporty. This is neither exotic nor sporty, and is the model of Maserati I see most often. The one I saw on Thursday was more like this.
I can't see those pictures because the links seem to be blocked at work, but like Richard said, Maserati's current line seems to be going more for "high performance luxury sedan" along the lines of Jaguar, as opposed to a pure exotic sports car like Lamborghini.

The thing I came here to post: I saw a personalized license plate that read "WHL TREE". I can't think of any interpretation that makes sense. Wheel tree? Whale tree? Anyone?
Old 04 June 2018, 03:57 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
The thing I came here to post: I saw a personalized license plate that read "WHL TREE". I can't think of any interpretation that makes sense. Wheel tree? Whale tree? Anyone?
Could it be "Whole Tree"?
Old 04 June 2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I can't see those pictures because the links seem to be blocked at work, but like Richard said, Maserati's current line seems to be going more for "high performance luxury sedan" along the lines of Jaguar, as opposed to a pure exotic sports car like Lamborghini.
I also cannot see the links - there doesn't seem to be any.

But I agree. The only thing exotic about the more resent Maserati models is the name.
Old 04 June 2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Could it be "Whole Tree"?
That seems to be more logical than anything else I can come up with.
Old 04 June 2018, 05:03 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Might be a habit people have gotten into because of the new bike lanes?
Never thought of that. Could very well be. Although, not all the streets where this is happening have the bike lanes.
Old 04 June 2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Never thought of that. Could very well be. Although, not all the streets where this is happening have the bike lanes.
I've noticed though that people seem to treat the "empty space" of the bike lanes as an invitation to encroach, and once you give someone an inch...
Old 04 June 2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I know, I'm even more interested in which cars Seaboe means now!

I saw a Ferrari BB 512i again today - I think it was the same car that I saw a few years ago, and in exactly the same place. Unfortunately I still only saw it from behind, and further away this time. (I was in the fishmongers and had to go outside to look when I caught a glimpse of it driving past).

It's one car I really like, because it was on the front cover of the book of Ferraris I had as a child - it was the top of the road-going range at the point the book was published. Then when I was 13, I was having a tennis lesson when I noticed an odd car parked down the road from the courts - again, I could only see it from behind but could tell it was something interesting and probably a Ferrari. So I was very pleased when it was still there after I'd finished my lesson, and it turned out to be a BB 512i. Back then it was rare for me even to see a Ferrari at all, let alone the top-of-the-range model.

The one I saw as a child was a sort of greenish blue, not an obvious colour for a Ferrari. Today's was classic red.

(To be exact, I'm not sure if the one I saw when I was 13 was the 512i or not... it may have been the older 512. I assumed it was at the time because that was how the model was described in the book and I probably didn't know there were different specs. The one I saw a few years ago had a 512i badge on the back, so it definitely was, and I think the car I saw today was the same one; although I was too far away to read the badge this time, I could see it was there).
Old 04 June 2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post

But I agree. The only thing exotic about the more resent Maserati models is the name.
Wikipedia has a chart of Maserati's sales numbers for the past 20 years. It looks like for most of the 2000s they sold a few thousand cars per year, and then starting in 2013 their sales increased to tens of thousands of cars per year, peaking at over 42,000 cars in 2016 (the most recent year for which they have data). That's still a pretty small number compared to most car brands, but definitely takes it out of "exotic" territory IMO. That kind of makes it seem like Fiat (Fiat-Chrysler owns Maserati now) is trying to make Maserati a more mainstream luxury brand.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 04 June 2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05 June 2018, 12:54 AM

I can remember pretty much when I started to see Maseratis around as actual cars, rather than as a name I'd heard of but rarely saw.

I do remember seeing earlier 1980s / '90s models once or twice, but other than "Maserati? I've heard of those, that's unusual" I didn't think much of them at the time - even those were fairly boxy and nondescript, and I remember having Seaboe's reaction - "Is that what they're like? Why are they so famous?". But thinking back, it must have been around the time you say - 2013 - that I started to see more of them. It was certainly after 2010, when I moved to High Wycombe, that I started to see them. Now there are loads round here, but (again with the general theme) for the most part they've never looked particularly impressive to me.

I do understand what Seaboe means, though, thinking back. The brand was definitely famous - in racing, I guess - long before you'd ever see many of their cars on the road, and the cars that I have seen have rarely matched my impression of what the brand used to conjure up. (Except for the MC-12, which was put out when Maserati was associated with Ferrari, and presumably marks a direction they decided not to go in).

Last edited by Richard W; 05 June 2018 at 01:00 AM.