snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 27 September 2017, 05:51 PM

Airplane U.S. slaps stiff tariff on Bombardier's new jet

Quote:
The U.S. Commerce Department has backed Boeing in its challenge to Bombardier, recommending an enormous tariff on sales of the Canadian firm's C Series jetliner.

The initial ruling by the International Trade Commission, an arm of the Commerce Department, recommends a 219.63% tariff on the delivery of each airliner.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/26/news...ing/index.html
Old 27 September 2017, 08:28 PM

Baseball

And with Buy America influencing this heavily, there goes the Super Hornet and F35 purchases**.

US companies are out to lose $7 billion for the SuperHornet and $49 billion for the F35.

Protectionist policies hurt Americans more than free trade policies.

**Just focusing on aircraft as this was what the challenge was. I'm certain that other areas of industry hurting too. Canada can always purchase from Europe and Asia.
Old 27 September 2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Only if you assume other countries will retaliate! Surely no country would do that to us!/We may not have thought that far ahead./We will crush you!
Old 27 September 2017, 09:28 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Only if you assume other countries will retaliate! Surely no country would do that to us!/We may not have thought that far ahead./We will crush you!
I know your tongue is firmly embedded in your cheek. But it has already started to happen. Trump is not the first president to attempt to impose Buy American.
Old 27 September 2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
And with Buy America influencing this heavily, there goes the Super Hornet and F35 purchases**.

US companies are out to lose $7 billion for the SuperHornet and $49 billion for the F35.

**Just focusing on aircraft as this was what the challenge was. I'm certain that other areas of industry hurting too. Canada can always purchase from Europe and Asia.
Not to mention this ruling will also directly harm another American company -- Delta. They'll either be stuck paying ridiculously high prices for the planes they ordered, or be forced to switch to different aircraft that are less suited to their needs. Boeing doesn't even make a plane that meets Delta's requirement for a 100 to 120 seat airliner. The next best thing in terms of the kind of plane they wanted is the Embraer 190, built in Brazil.
Old 27 September 2017, 11:31 PM

Those are details. Details are dangerously close to nuance, and best ignored.
Old 28 September 2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
...Canada can always purchase from Europe and Asia.
I have every confidence that if Canada wanted a something to to toe-to-toe with the F-22, they develop it themselves in a couple years and PWC would have motors for them in time. And if they wanted something to go up against the F-35 they could just add some ballast to their F-22 equivalent and push its schedule out a couple years.
Old 28 September 2017, 01:05 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
I have every confidence that if Canada wanted a something to to toe-to-toe with the F-22, they develop it themselves in a couple years and PWC would have motors for them in time. And if they wanted something to go up against the F-35 they could just add some ballast to their F-22 equivalent and push its schedule out a couple years.
Even without our own R&D, there are some incredible aircraft coming out of Europe and South America (we won't look to China or Russia for military tech) that will suit our needs.

Protectionism in the US will only hurt US companies. After all, if there is a trade war a brewin', then we have a whole developed global marketplace that did not exist when NAFTA was first envisioned.
Old 29 September 2017, 02:41 PM

Teacher

Quote:
Even without our own R&D, there are some incredible aircraft coming out of Europe and South America (we won't look to China or Russia for military tech) that will suit our needs.

Protectionism in the US will only hurt US companies. After all, if there is a trade war a brewin', then we have a whole developed global marketplace that did not exist when NAFTA was first envisioned.
Didn't we recently sign a new & improved trade agreement with the EU?

Old 29 September 2017, 02:57 PM

Airplane Boeing warned Bombardier dispute 'could jeopardise' future UK contracts

Boeing's behaviour over a long-running trade dispute "could jeopardise" its chances of receiving future contracts, the UK Government has warned.

http://news.sky.com/story/boeing-war...racts-11056096
Old 29 September 2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Protectionism in the US will only hurt US companies.
I don't see how you can justify saying "only" here. Canada trade is a much smaller percentage for the US than US trade is for Canada. It would certainly hurt both but there's no way Canadian companies could come out unscathed. It's just bad news for everyone.
Old 29 September 2017, 04:38 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't see how you can justify saying "only" here. Canada trade is a much smaller percentage for the US than US trade is for Canada. It would certainly hurt both but there's no way Canadian companies could come out unscathed. It's just bad news for everyone.
You are right in the way you read that. The "only" was supposed to describe "hurt", not the US companies. (where I would have said "...will hurt only US companies.")

In our globalised marketplace I don't know of an industry that will benefit from any country applying protectionist measures, regardless of who applies them. So, applying a protectionist measure will not help anything.
Old 29 September 2017, 04:38 PM

I think UEL meant it in the sense that protectionism would lead only to harm for US companies in the long term, not that it would hurt only US companies.
Old 29 September 2017, 10:42 PM

Well I'm just glad that, thanks to Brexit, those of us in the UK will be able to benefit from the fantastic trade deals we'll get from Trump's USA, which will be much better than the ones we'd worked out through the EU (even Trump says so!), never mind the useless tariff-free ones we already had within Europe.

Trump said at one point that he was keen to negotiate with the UK first! He's bound to have our interests at heart, rather than those of the USA. Not like the Europeans, who were only holding us back by being on our side. Trump recognises how great Britain is, and wants to put us first. And if he's said anything to contradict that since, I must not have been listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
It's just bad news for everyone.
Yep, even some of the more enthusiastic Leavers these days seem to have got to the point where they're arguing not that it will be good for the UK, but that it will be worse for other European countries, and therefore (relatively speaking) we'll be better off simply because other people will come out of it even more badly than us. As far as I can see, even that part's not true, but it's the way things seem to be going at the moment.

(I don't like to use the term "Brexiteers", because some find it derogatory, and I don't think we need to call them names in order to put them down).
Old 03 October 2017, 05:58 PM

I suspect US airlines can figure a way around the tariff. For example, create an offshore company that can buy the jets. Then hire that company to service US routes. That's basically how shipping works, there are very few US flagged ships carrying goods into/out of the US. (Only shipment between US ports are restricted to US flagged ships.)
Old 03 October 2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I suspect US airlines can figure a way around the tariff. For example, create an offshore company that can buy the jets. Then hire that company to service US routes.
That would A) Be a violation of their agreement with their pilots' union, which states that jets with more than 70 seats* must be flown by the airline's own pilots (as opposed to a regional affiliate, which is what this offshore company would effectively be). In fact I believe one of the reasons Delta ordered the CS100 was because the union agreed to allow more large regional jets to be flown by their regional partners if Delta added a new small plane to its own fleet that would be flown by their own pilots. B) It would violate US laws forbidding foreign companies from operating domestic flights in the US, unless they only use this hypothetical offshore company for international flights, but that's not the sort of route they bought these planes for.

ETA: On another board someone suggested a foreign company could by the planes, and Delta could lease them from that company. But someone said that wouldn't work either because the planes would still have to be registered in the US if they're to be flown by a US airline, and merely registering the planes here would be considered an "import" that would trigger the tariff even if Delta isn't the legal owner of the planes.

*Or thereabouts; the precise limit varies from airline to airline and I don't know the specifics of Delta's contract, but they all have some sort of clause like that.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 03 October 2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03 October 2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
That would A) Be a violation of their agreement with their pilots' union, which states that jets with more than 70 seats* must be flown by the airline's own pilots (as opposed to a regional affiliate, which is what this offshore company would effectively be).
Agreements with employees are regularly modified. Declaring bankruptcy is a common way of doing it without any input, at all, from the employees. Something like 100 airlines have declared bankruptcy in the last couple decades including a couple very large US carriers (Delta, American, USair, United ...)
Old 03 October 2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Agreements with employees are regularly modified. Declaring bankruptcy is a common way of doing it without any input, at all, from the employees. Something like 100 airlines have declared bankruptcy in the last couple decades including a couple very large US carriers (Delta, American, USair, United ...)
That may be so, but this sounds like a particular issue that the union tends to not like to budge much on, from what actual pilots are saying on that other board. And since all the major airlines are actually profitable now, with Delta in particular doing quite well, I'm not sure how easy it would be to claim bankruptcy just to get out of a union contract.

Besides, not of that gets around the fact that a foreign company wouldn't be allowed to fly the routes they actually ordered the plane for.
Old 04 October 2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
That may be so, but this sounds like a particular issue that the union tends to not like to budge much on, from what actual pilots are saying on that other board. And since all the major airlines are actually profitable now, with Delta in particular doing quite well, I'm not sure how easy it would be to claim bankruptcy just to get out of a union contract.

Besides, not of that gets around the fact that a foreign company wouldn't be allowed to fly the routes they actually ordered the plane for.
That is all probably true (though bankruptcy typically terminates all labor contracts and liabilities like pensions.)

So the prohibition on non-US airlines operating between US airports, and the on non-US shipping companies operating between US sea ports, are examples of long-standing protectionism.
Old 05 October 2017, 02:09 PM

Glasses

In the U.S., Open Skies Agreements control which airlines fly which routes. This part of it involves the EU. There are other agreements covering other areas.

Seaboe