snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 30 May 2007, 09:08 PM

Icon220 Lizzie Palmer video

Comment: I'm wondering if Lizzie Palmer is really a 15-year old girl who made the
"Remember Me" video for YouTube. The e-mail says that it was featured on
Fox News, but I can't find any reference to that on the Fox website.

---------------------------

"Lizzie Palmer, who put this YouTube program together, is only 15 years
old. There have been nearly 4,000,000 hits as of this morning. In case you
missed it, here it is...

The link below is the hottest thing on the internet and was recently
featured on Fox News Today."

http://www.youtube.com/v/ervaMPt4Ha0&autoplay=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervaMPt4Ha0
Old 30 May 2007, 10:06 PM
PrometheusX303

9,205,270 views as of right now...

The uploader's profile says she is 15. Not really unusual. It looks as if the video was made with Windows Movie Maker.

As for being featured on Fox News... That seems to be a common theme with some chain messages.
Old 30 May 2007, 10:43 PM

Tantrum

I just wasted over 4 minutes watching this glurgey piece of crap!
Old 30 May 2007, 10:47 PM

I've always heard of "Lizzy Palmer and her 5 daughters" As in "The only person you'll get a date with is Lizzy Palmer and her five daughters.". I feel sorry for a kid that really has that name, lol.

As for the video.........what's so special about it? I didn't make it to the end because it was really sappy but I don't get what is so special that a 15 year old with internet access couldn't have made it. I'm sure my 9 year old could have made it.
Old 30 May 2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mela681 View Post
I've always heard of "Lizzy Palmer and her 5 daughters" As in "The only person you'll get a date with is Lizzy Palmer and her five daughters.". I feel sorry for a kid that really has that name, lol.

As for the video.........what's so special about it? I didn't make it to the end because it was really sappy but I don't get what is so special that a 15 year old with internet access couldn't have made it. I'm sure my 9 year old could have made it.
That's 'Rosey Palmer' and her 5 sisters!
Old 30 May 2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebobo View Post
That's 'Rosey Palmer' and her 5 sisters!
Oops, sorry. I always thought it was Lizzy, but I guess Rosey makes more sense.

New Law - if your last name is Palmer, you must not name your daughter anything that ends with Y or ie.
Old 30 May 2007, 11:50 PM

Umm.. Cute.. So really is there this massive "anti-support the troops" movement out there? I mean sure, there are probably some, there are probably some people to stand behind any viewpoint one could pick, but this propaganda that somehow there are large groups out there who hate soldiers and do not "support the troops" is getting old..

Troops are great, they do a difficult and dangerous job. Some are heros, some are monsters, most just do their job day to day without any big fanfair or great battles.

The current war, IMO, is a huge mistake, the soldiers should not be there, this is not their choice of course, they are doing their job, its not "not supporting hte troops" to question or even condemn their mission anymore then its not supporting the police to question or condemn certain US laws.

As for the piece itself.. I don't see why it couldn't have been made by a teenage girl with some basic moviemaker program (or heck powerpoint).. As for "was it featured on fox news?".. I don't watch that channel because I prefer my fiction to be entertaining, however it wouldn't shock me, they've shown similar glurge in the past regarding supporting our troops.

-MB
Old 31 May 2007, 12:20 AM
We'veBeenHad

I don't know how large it is, Mickey; I get a squicky feeling seeing the video of protestors burning a soldier in effigy, especially remembering the Fallujah photos of real people doing that to real young men and then dragging their burned torsos in the streets in victory (the photos of the burned effigy and the burned torsos being held up were startlingly similar.) I certainly hope most anti-war protestors disavow such effigy-burning hatred.

I don't think it's so much "glurge" per se. US Soldiers and their families are real people with all the attendant emotions and human connections that are universal to humans, good and bad. My son is entering the marines and I can relate to most of the photos shown as humans in extreme situations reacting as humans...seeing the flags being given to women crying over coffins is a very real and heartbreaking thing - both to the people in the photos and as a possibility in my own life. Seeing soldiers kissing their newborn babies particularly got to me as well. The emotion in the photos is genuine, IMO, and can strike a chord with almost anyone who shares in the human experience; why is that "glurge"? The text was message-oriented, but for the most part it was a message most people in the soldiers' position will feel in the course of their duties, and not something made up.

Just because something appeals to emotion doesn't make it unbearable sap - considering what I've read in the thread about what movies make people cry, and some of it is way farfetched scenarios but still they make people cry - why is seeing real people in real tear-enducing scenarios something to be eschewed, or remembering they too are family members and people? I don't get it. Outside of the commentary, those pictures could just as well be strung together with a pro-peace/anti-war commentary and be just as moving. In fact, at first that's what I thought they were.

I don't know who made it; could have been a kid, but who knows. Could be righthandgirl from liveleak heh. Though the Lizzie Palmer/Rosie Palmer thing is kind of funny
Old 31 May 2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
I don't know how large it is, Mickey; I get a squicky feeling seeing the video of protestors burning a soldier in effigy, especially remembering the Fallujah photos of real people doing that to real young men and then dragging their burned torsos in the streets in victory (the photos of the burned effigy and the burned torsos being held up were startlingly similar.) I certainly hope most anti-war protestors disavow such effigy-burning hatred.
Anti-War people shouldn't have to disavow such behavior anymore then Muslims should have to disavow 9/11 or Christians should have to disavow Phelps.. Any intelligent person should be able to draw the line between being against a war (or even all war) and burning soldiers in effegy.

Quote:
Just because something appeals to emotion doesn't make it unbearable sap
Never said it did.
Old 31 May 2007, 01:17 AM
We'veBeenHad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Anti-War people shouldn't have to disavow such behavior anymore then Muslims should have to disavow 9/11 or Christians should have to disavow Phelps.. Any intelligent person should be able to draw the line between being against a war (or even all war) and burning soldiers in effegy.
You're right; wrong word. I hope most anti-war protestors wouldn't do such things and wouldn't encourage them.

Quote:
Never said it did.
I know; that part of my post was in general to the thread, knew I should have said that
Old 31 May 2007, 01:24 AM
Jelly Bean Queen

Theme Icon

From looking at her profile and video collection- the Eric Banna lovetage kind of confirms it's a 15 year old girl.

I teared up watching it- I'm a sentimental sap. I just can't look at pictures of real people grieving over a coffin without sympathising.

I'm not for the war in any way- but I feel sad for the soldiers and their families. It's hard to be separated from loved ones but to be separated and not know if you'll ever see them again. That must hurt like nothing else.
Old 31 May 2007, 01:40 AM
We'veBeenHad

Exactly, jelly bean. Don't feel bad about being a sentimental sap; many of us are (it made me cry too) When it's real people? So much more so.
Old 31 May 2007, 03:16 AM
Eclipsed

I'm in the service and the folks in my area are very supportive of us, but alot of them will also ask how i tolerate being in the military with bush as president and the war thats going on. I'm rather neutral on the subject and simply tell them that its part of the job and someone has to do it.
Old 31 May 2007, 05:56 PM

Am I the only one who cried during the whole damn thing. It just reminded me of my father passing away, I kept saying daddy i haven't forgetten about you.

Ok damnit im going to go cry some more.
Old 31 May 2007, 08:46 PM
We'veBeenHad

No, I cried from start to finish. You're not alone there.
Old 31 May 2007, 08:53 PM
Grand Illusion

I admit that the video was touching, but is it really much different than many other Support the Troops videos out there? Why did THIS one garner so much media attention and prolification? Is it because of its noticible LACK of politicizing while a lot of the other videos carry a We Hate Bush Oil War message?

The other thing that struck me about the video...almost offended me...is that it was made by a 15y/o who has never been in the military. It is possible that someone close to her is in the military, perhaps extremely probable, but the message loses something when conveyed by an outside party.
Old 02 June 2007, 03:14 AM

It teared me up, and I have no connection at all to the military or the war your country is sending people over for. Indeed, I've got no idea if we even have people over there.

But what strikes me is the "is it really a teenager" angle - the "why is this video special" thing. Well, I have to say I haven't seen many similar ones, but yes, this one is well made. A spelling mistake, a word over someone's face, but otherwise the photos are well chosen for the individual message at that point in it, and it's very fitting music. It may not seem like much to string that together, but go on, give it a go.

It reminds me of the Ad Awards here. A tv show would do awards for best and worst ad each year, and invite schools to create a tv-style ad for a different community themed message each year (bullying, road toll, etc). For three years running the winner was a school in Auckland with a particular kid who made the ads each year. Every other ad was pretty much identically well produced - very kidsy, very much "made at school". His were professional quality. Perfect choice of subject matter, great acting, totally fitting music. And they completely pulled at your emotions. Every single year his ad would have me and the TV audience bawling our eyes out.

It's not an easy thing to so successfully pull at people's emotions. You'd think so, but it's really not.

I think it's a very well made thing, and she shows promise in movie making or advertising for the future. Good on her.
Old 03 June 2007, 12:07 AM

I didn't see it so much as addressing "anti-support of the troops" but I did get a message of "the family and friends of the troops must not be paying enough attention to them and it makes them sad" kinda thing.

Aside from 'neighbor' and 'best friend' everything was aimed at family members. It would have struck me much differently had it said " I am someone's mother...etc" but by saying 'your' it just annoyed me. Where did Lizzie get the idea that the family and friends of the troops are ignoring them?!?

No clue why this one garnered so much attention, I, too think it's closer to being offensive than inspirational. God bless the troops, but this was just annoying to watch.
Old 03 June 2007, 10:52 AM

One thing I did notice was the almost complete lack of ethnic diversity. Overall, I'd say nicely done for a fifteen year old, but not a professional job.
Old 03 June 2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
The current war, IMO, is a huge mistake, the soldiers should not be there, this is not their choice of course, they are doing their job, its not "not supporting hte troops" to question or even condemn their mission anymore then its not supporting the police to question or condemn certain US laws.
I agree, I think too many people mistake anti-war for anti-soldier, or think that being anti-military at all means you must hate soldiers as people. You're allowed to dislike what they're doing, either at all or in specific cases, and still support the people doing it because it's not them who are leading wars. Anti-war people tend to care about soldiers as people a lot - and that's why they don't want wars! Support is more than just waving a flag about and shouting 'hurray!' and pretending you don't have doubts just because other people might not want to hear you voice your doubts.