snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 05 February 2016, 03:48 PM

Bang Head Need a spam text blocking ad

Got any real person reviews?
I've been getting text spams--in Spanish--in the past few weeks. I have registered my number on the Do Not Call List, but I don't know if that applies to texts. These texts come from many different numbers; I've already reported them to the Federal Trade Comm. and may report them to the State Atty General as well. Don't know if those two offices can do anything, but it's worth a try.
Old 05 February 2016, 05:55 PM

I believe you need to sue them yourself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_spam
Quote:
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) released an order in Aug, 2004 that reiterated that SMS spam messages to cellphones are illegal under the existing Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Each such unsolicited message received without permission entitles the recipient to take the sender to small claims court and collect a minimum of $1 for each violation
Old 05 February 2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
I believe you need to sue them yourself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_spam
In other words, there really isn't anything that can be legally done to stop the spam.
Old 08 February 2016, 03:35 PM

Icon102

Well it's Monday and I have not heard from these jokers since Friday. I googled the phone numbers and it seems that all of them are from this state. Of the half dozen or so numbers, four are from the same area, others from the neighboring county. Hmmm, if they start up again, I may send the texts onto the AG. Don't know if he can do anything or not, but it's worth a try.
Old 08 February 2016, 03:37 PM

I find that spam like that tends to stop after a few weeks, when the spammers move on to a different tactic or new location.
Old 08 February 2016, 04:15 PM

Interesting. I think these people are part of a cosmetic company--that's where one of the numbers ultimately led to.
Old 08 February 2016, 06:29 PM

With AT&T you can forward spam texts to 7726 (which spells "spam" on the numeric keypad). At least you used to be able to; you used to get an auto reply asking what number the spam text came from, but a few weeks ago I forwarded something to them and never got a response. Messages to and from that number are free of charge. If you don't have AT&T I would guess your carrier has something similar.

Often they'll send you a response with instructions on how to block that type of spam, for example if the spam was sent from an email address they'll tell you how to block all texts from email addresses (yeah, it's possible to send an email to at phone as a text message, although it's a feature hardly anyone but spammers uses anymore). It won't block all text spam, but it will at least block it from that type of source.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 08 February 2016 at 06:37 PM.