snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 20 November 2016, 02:11 AM

It is. My problem is that it really doesn't keep up with leveling because you temporarily lose your equipment, Shouts, and magic. So whenever I get fuzzy, I'm less powerful than when I'm not.
Old 20 November 2016, 11:41 AM

Yes, I found that werewolf mode made me a lot more vulnerable / less powerful than when I wasn't a werewolf, too. I did fill out the whole perk tree to get an achievement, but it was a chore.

The werewolf was fun - and dangerous - when your character is low level because at that point, it is actually more powerful than you, but I found my main character overtook it pretty quickly. And what with the nuisance of not being able to pick things up when you're a werewolf, or easily eat the corpses (the controls to try to get into a position where you got the "eat" option were really clumsy as far as I remember), it stopped being worth transforming quite quickly so I cured mine as soon as I could (after getting the related achievements) too.

I seem to remember the vampire was similar - not really worth it in its own right, although I did get the whole perk tree for the achievement. I didn't get that piece of DLC until my character was already really high level, though.
Old 20 November 2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
It is. My problem is that it really doesn't keep up with leveling because you temporarily lose your equipment, Shouts, and magic. So whenever I get fuzzy, I'm less powerful than when I'm not.
Yeah, thinking about it, I normally do the Companions arc fairly early in the game, where werewolf mode is a real increase in power. Also, gameplay style is likely a factor - I just can't get into magic, for example, and most enjoy playing as a sniper, so werewolf presents a good hand-to-hand alternative given my usually weak one- and two-handed weapon skills. Sounds like you're playing a much more well-rounded individual.
Old 21 November 2016, 01:31 AM

ATM, I'm making my way through Obsidian's newest game Tyranny. I'm loving the world-building and story. The Conquest introduction to your character is excellent. It's referenced all the time in-game and determines your starting reputation between the Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus. It also drives home the fact that you're on the side of a vicious, bloodthirsty army. All the choices I saw were not even remotely benign. I ended up coming down on the side of the Disfavored more often since the concept of the Chorus is terrifying and at least the Disfavored are a bit more relatable even with their off-putting cliquishness. Combat controls much like the real-time-with-pause of Pillars of Eternity, but the party size is trimmed down to 4. No class system, so I can assign healing spells to whoever I want, but the companions I'm using in melee obviously won't have their Lore high enough to do any really impressive spells. I'm going with more of a magic-oriented build for my main character and so far I haven't seen any good tanks other than Barik, who due to his unfortunate life-changing crisis might as well *be* a literal tank. The lack of a tank alternate probably means he has to be in most parties to act as the necessary damage sink.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying trying to steer my character through a dystopian fantasyland. My character is trying to be altruistic as much as possible despite the fact that she's employed by an all-conquering Overlord who can cast world-spanning Edicts that have turned one country of rich farmland into stone and covered another nation in endless storms. Her immediate superior wears masks all the time, probably to cover up the fact that he doesn't have a face. One of her main adversaries is a sociopath who wears rotating masks and snacks on people's personalities. So far, this is making Game of Thrones seem like a pleasant picnic.
Old 21 November 2016, 10:15 AM

Tyranny sounds great... that's the sort of thing that still makes me wish sometimes that I could be bothered to maintain a proper gaming PC. (Which would also involve having to clear some desk space and keep my flat in a better state. Theoretically I've plenty of room for a good setup in the corner of my bedroom, but it's full of clutter).

I've still got a long way to go in Forza Horizon 3 and Fallout 4, but as I said, I put the Rare Replay collection disk back in (for another go at Viva Piñata) and there's still so much on there that I've barely touched that I got sidetracked by a game called Kameo: Elements of Power, which is pretty good. (It's from 2002 - 2003 or thereabouts, but still looks fine. I think the graphics may have been updated for an XBox 360 re-release at some point). I got to what I think is the final boss battle last night, but haven't beaten it yet. Depending how the plot goes, this may be a fake final boss with an "unexpected" real one coming next...

The XBox One has just updated its OS again to show you what percentage of players have got each achievement. It's a bit more on-screen clutter but it's quite interesting to know. The numbers are sometimes stupidly low - on some games, over 20% of players don't even get the achievement for completing the introductory mission. I guess these are people who borrowed or rented a copy and returned it almost immediately... And a surprising number have been obtained by only 1% of players (the smallest division it recognises - I spotted one 0% but it was for a timed challenge that hasn't started yet).

Usually when I look at leaderboards for any sort of points challenge, I'm pretty mediocre - generally in the top half but not by much; if I make a repeated effort on a particular challenge I can occasionally get into the top 10% or so with practice. But in terms of finishing games and getting achievements, I seem to be well into the top 1% based on these numbers - I was quite surprised! My "skills" are obviously in persistence and having too much time on my hands, rather than actual skill...

Last edited by Richard W; 21 November 2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: I meant Forza Horizon 3, not Forza (Racing) 3
Old 21 November 2016, 03:33 PM

I'm right there with you, Richard. Not necessarily great at games, but willing to keep on keeping on until I have pushed through and end up with the achievements. There is a website called True Achievements that adjusts the points based on how many people actually got them. Looks like XBox has noticed them, and is doing the same thing.

Currently, my need for achievements is in great conflict with my desire for modding games. I'm playing Skyrim SSE, which I got for the mods. Then I realized that I can get a whole new round of achievements with it, but only if I don't do any mods. Every time I play modded, I do something that I think, dang, I should get an achievement for that. But the couple of times I've played without mods, I keep thinking of how much cooler it would be if I had access to the modded spells, for example. There is a mod that gives a bunch of new spells, and the best is a riff on D&Ds contingency spell. You set up to three spells in advance that will automatically, with no spell point cost, be cast every time you enter combat. So I have things like stoneflesh and bound weapons that start each time I go into battle. It's an expensive spell, but worth it.

The point will probably be moot here, since I am getting back to having a plethora of games. Dishonored 2 just arrived, I still have Civ 6, Skyrim, and Fallout 4, SW:TOR is putting out new content, Owlboy is waiting its turn, and I'll get a copy of Titanfall 2 to play with the kid over Thanksgiving. Fun times.
Old 21 November 2016, 06:43 PM

Instead of AC: Syndicate, I got the nutty idea in my head to go back and replay the very first Assassin's Creed game to get the only achievements I missed the first time: collect all of the flags and kill all of the Templars.
Old 21 November 2016, 08:00 PM

I think those were the only two I didn't get either, Jenn, and I was working on them... I would go back and get them, but I'd have to start from scratch because the machine with my saved games was stolen! For the sake of completeness I picked up cheap copies of the stolen AC and AC: II from a second-hand shop a while ago (since I've got all the others in the series), but I've not actually played those copies yet. In AC: II I did get 100% of the achievements before it was stolen.

(eta) I was right, except it's four achievements not two, since there are apparently three types of flag that I hadn't collected all of.

Last edited by Richard W; 21 November 2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 22 November 2016, 04:47 PM

I believe there's a separate achievement for the flags in each location - Masayaf, Jerusalem, Acre, Kingdom, and Damascus - and then one for killing all Templars.

We're missing our copy of AC II. The kids might have taken it to their grandparents' house, but it does rankle to be missing one so I'll probably end up replacing it if it doesn't turn up.
Old 22 November 2016, 06:09 PM

Adding the ability to adopt kids in Skyrim really changes some aspects of the game.

I just started the Thieves Guild questline and keep find myself thinking "you know, I really ought to be setting a better example for my daughter than this."
Old 22 November 2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Adding the ability to adopt kids in Skyrim really changes some aspects of the game.

I just started the Thieves Guild questline and keep find myself thinking "you know, I really ought to be setting a better example for my daughter than this."
For exactly this reason, I hold off on adopting until I've finished the Thieves Guild and Assassins Guild and Companions (werewolf) and Dawnguard (vampires and the possibility of willingly becoming a vampire) quests/storylines. Basically, adoption is the last thing I do.

The hard part is choosing which of the many orphans around Skyrim to adopt. Usually, I pick one from the Riften orphanage and one from one of the cities, and choose one of each gender. Only two kids? Bit of a heartbreaker.
Old 22 November 2016, 10:42 PM

The adoption part was odd to me because it was based on modern rules. The only criteria to adopt kids is if they'll have their own room? Based on the size of the houses you see, 95% of people don't even have their own bed, much less room. This in a land where you can walk up to a near-stranger and marry him/her simply because you have a necklace.
Old 23 November 2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The adoption part was odd to me because it was based on modern rules. The only criteria to adopt kids is if they'll have their own room? Based on the size of the houses you see, 95% of people don't even have their own bed, much less room. This in a land where you can walk up to a near-stranger and marry him/her simply because you have a necklace.
That's why there are so many orphans: not enough room at home, so kick 'em out! You're smart enough to make a home with a bedroom, so you can take 'em back in.

(Adoption is probably the best idea in this world, for the player character: after all that exposure to so many weird alchemical concoctions, magic, diseases, metal ore offgassing and particles, transformations, other dimensions... your genetics are probably all messed up. Monster offspring at best, if you're not actually just sterile.)

As for the necklace thing, consider it a divine form of eHarmony or another online dating service - you were already compatible, the necklace just created the connection.
Old 05 December 2016, 05:09 AM

What really weirds me out about adoption is all the stuff you have to do before you're allowed to adopt a kid, but you can leave them by themselves for months on end with nary a word said about it.

In other video game stuff, I took advantage of GOG's current weekend sale to pick up one of the greatest American CRPGs of all time: Planescape: Torment. Still just as fun as when I first had it.
Old 05 December 2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
In other video game stuff, I took advantage of GOG's current weekend sale to pick up one of the greatest American CRPGs of all time: Planescape: Torment. Still just as fun as when I first had it.
Possibly the best game ever. Good on you!

Thanks to (barely-perceptible) peer pressure at work, I picked up Farm Simulator 17 on Steam at 40% off. Spent my first game day exploring, not farming; found gold nuggets and discovered the "get 100 gold nuggets" in-game achievement; then when I got it, was given 1 million... dollars? game currency units, anyways. Second achievement plus economic safety net!

And I found an abandoned, broken arcade game in a patch of woods. Subsequent investigation revealed that the arcade game has a long real-world urban legend history. So extra appropriate to mention it here.
Old 18 December 2016, 05:04 AM

Finally got Smithing maxed out on Skyrim and am proudly walking around in my new Dragonbone armor and Dragonbone weapons.

Muahahaha!
Old 18 December 2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Finally got Smithing maxed out on Skyrim and am proudly walking around in my new Dragonbone armor and Dragonbone weapons.

Muahahaha!
Noice! Now to max Enchanting (skill and perks) for dual enchantments on your swank new armor!

I'm level... 56? I think?... and I'm almost ready to make Archery and Sneak Legendary for the second time each. Finishing Dawnguard somewhat early gave access to the Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow, which pumps out some of the highest (unenhanced) bow damage in the game, so Archery cranks up pretty quickly; my character at this point probably has a permanent case of scoliosis, what with almost never walking around actually upright.

House-building and jewelry-making combined with several bouts of training by Gunnar in the Dawnguard have pumped up my Smithing, but I only have like 3 perks in it. While I am sticking with my tried-and-true Sneaky Archer bit, this is one of a very few go-arounds where I've been largely ignoring Smithing/Enchanting.
Old 18 December 2016, 04:32 PM

I went legendary on Sneaking to get the final perk for Dragon crafting (and also dump some perks into Enchanting and Archery). Smithing is the only other skill I've gotten up to 100 so far, but I'm super close with one-handed and will probably reset that and switch over to two-handed shortly.
Old 18 December 2016, 05:05 PM

I'm working on FFXV and loving it. They're doing a dlc which adds a NG+, which is going to be awesome as well. It really reminds me of Witcher 3. Graphics are beautiful, and I love being able to fight as a team (which, since Witcher 3 *the most awesome game ever* was a solo game, is a nice change). The leveling up is well done, IMO, and I really enjoy choosing weapons for my team, and creating new spells (including a failcast spell if I want to make the game more difficult!). I loved FFXII, thought XIII was good, but this is awesome.
Old 19 December 2016, 12:44 AM

Another stupid Fallout 4 question: To start the Nuka-World DLC quest, you're supposed to listen to the Nuka Family radio station (or whatever it's called), but do you have to be in any particular place to pick that up?

I didn't start the quest when I downloaded the DLC since I still had loads else to do (actually I still have loads else to do now), but I thought I would start it on my session today, but the station is silent, and listening to it doesn't trigger the next part of the quest. I've had my radio switched to that station while playing the main quests, which have taken me all over the map, and still haven't heard anything on it.

Is there some sort of bug that means I can't start that quest? That would be annoying... I think you may be able to turn DLC on and off from the main menu, so I guess I could switch it off and on again, but since I already built a cola machine and made a few new flavours I'm not sure what that would do. I might lose some progress.