snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 25 November 2015, 12:40 PM

Default Shuttle train covered in Nazi and Imperial Japanese symbols in ad for Amazon show

Quote:
MANHATTAN — Seats on a Times Square Shuttle train are wrapped in symbols from Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, an advertisement for Amazon's new series "The Man in The High Castle" that has provoked a social media uproar.

http://pix11.com/2015/11/23/shuttle-...e-high-castle/
Old 25 November 2015, 12:44 PM

Groupthink strikes again.

And for pete's sake, this has nothing to do with Amazon's First Amendment rights.
Old 25 November 2015, 12:55 PM

The article is working hard on making that offensive and an issue, instead of...hey, the MTA got some free money and people can choose to ride in a cool car!
Old 25 November 2015, 01:07 PM

Not one of the symbols that I could see in the photo gallery is a "Symbol from Nazi Germany". It's clear that they are meant to resemble such symbols, but they are not the same thing.

In fact, I believe that all of these symbols could be used in Germany, where the use of symbols like the swastika or other symbols of the Nazi Party and its organisations or symbols that closely resemble those is illegal. The similarities in these symbols wouldn't be great enough for them to fall under the law.

Last edited by Don Enrico; 25 November 2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Wikipedia link
Old 25 November 2015, 01:14 PM

I wouldn't find it a cool car. I would find it an unnerving car.

The book, of course, is meant to be unnerving. But if all I were trying to do was to get across town, I wouldn't want to be unexpectedly and unwillingly shoved inside the book.
Old 25 November 2015, 01:22 PM

I don't think it's a "cool" car, either, and I wouldn't want to ride in it. If I walked into it without knowing anything about the series, I'd find it very unnerving indeed. The combination of the Nazi(-evoking) symbols with the American flag makes it worse, IMO.

ETA: Also, I'm not sure it's as simple as people choosing to ride in it or not. Trains get crowded, and sometimes you have to ride where you'll fit. Even if it's not crowded, if that car's in front of you when the train stops, you don't necessarily have time to look inside, decide to switch, get off, and get onto another car.
Old 25 November 2015, 01:51 PM

Of course it is shocking. It is supposed to be shocking.

It was designed to pique interest in the show. It did. It was designed to get people thinking and talking about the issues. It did.

In short, it accomplished the purposes for which it was created; would that we all did as much.
Old 25 November 2015, 02:25 PM

Thinking and talking about the ad != thinking and talking about the issues.

I agree it brought attention to the series, but I don't think that justifies the method used.
Old 25 November 2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
Of course it is shocking. It is supposed to be shocking.
Which is fine for the book. And fine for the show. But not necessarily appropriate for the morning commute -- especially when the degree and nature of the shock is likely to be much harder on some people than on others.

Are they legally entitled to do this? Of course. Is it a bright idea? Obviously, opinions vary. But IMO it is not a good idea.

I expect there are still living camp survivors in New York City.
Old 25 November 2015, 02:42 PM

It reminds me of going to see the Sound of Music live and the theatre getting draped in the red swastika banner for the Eidelweiss bit. I had two reactions: the first was to get rather uncomfortable because giant red swastika banners. The second was to lean over to my sister and whisper, "Springtime for Hitler!"

Giggling made me feel better. Or at least, I was more comfortable treating the symbols as mockery rather than the replication of serious use.

Last edited by NobleHunter; 25 November 2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 25 November 2015, 02:46 PM

Hello Kitty

I'm sure being jarringly reminded of the attempted murder of your parents/grandparents and the attempted extermination of your people is a great way to start the morning and in no way emotionally traumatic.
Old 25 November 2015, 04:23 PM

Amazon, your marketing campaign is doing an excellent job killing my interest in the show.
Old 25 November 2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleHunter View Post
It reminds me of going to see the Sound of Music live and the theatre getting draped in the red swastika banner for the Eidelweiss bit. .
Inside the theater, right?

That's in significant part what Sound of Music is about. That's entirely appropriate.

And it's entirely appropriate for a book, or movie, or show to make people uncomfortable. But one chooses to go to the theater; and can research the show in advance or take one's chances. Choosing to go to work in the morning, or to one's doctor's appointment, or wherever else one's going on the subway, is not the same thing.
Old 25 November 2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
A furor appears to have stopped the Führer. Amazon Studios will pull ad signage from New York City subways that used insignia suggesting Nazi control to promote the streaming-video service’s new drama, “The Man in the High Castle.”
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/amaz...ng-1201647886/
Old 25 November 2015, 05:29 PM

I hate for all that signage to go to waste. I wonder if they could donate some of it to Donald Trump to use in his campaign.
Old 25 November 2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
I'm sure being jarringly reminded of the attempted murder of your parents/grandparents and the attempted extermination of your people is a great way to start the morning and in no way emotionally traumatic.
Yeah, and as thorny mentioned, there are also actual survivors still around. SO's grandmother and great aunt no longer live in the city, but they are living survivors of the holocaust, one a camp survivor and one who lived in terror using false papers, and of course they lost so so many people. I can't imagine the effect of walking onto that train for them. Oh NFBSK. Typing that just made me think about the significance of it being a train car, for NFBSK's sake.

There is a tiny part of my brain that thinks it's cool, because l like that kind of speculative fiction, and I might enjoy the series. But that part is very very much overwhelmed by my reaction to this being sprung on any unsuspecting people.
Old 25 November 2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Inside the theater, right?

That's in significant part what Sound of Music is about. That's entirely appropriate.

And it's entirely appropriate for a book, or movie, or show to make people uncomfortable. But one chooses to go to the theater; and can research the show in advance or take one's chances. Choosing to go to work in the morning, or to one's doctor's appointment, or wherever else one's going on the subway, is not the same thing.
Yeah, it gets unveiled for a specific scene. It was just surprising to suddenly find mysefl in a room decked out for a Nazi rally. One assumes that anyone likely to react paticularly badly would skip the musical or research it sufficiently before hand. A nightmare-fuel subway car is a bit different.
Quote:
I hate for all that signage to go to waste. I wonder if they could donate some of it to Donald Trump to use in his campaign.
Only half of it. The Rising Sun imagery would be too exotic for Trump.
Old 25 November 2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
He wouldn't want it, as it's neither flashy enough, nor offensive enough...

Old 25 November 2015, 06:43 PM

And besides, why would Trump want the cast-offs from Amazon? They're weak. They're losers. It's pathetic. Disgusting! They're disgusting! Trump would never back down like that. Pathetic....
Old 25 November 2015, 09:36 PM

It's sort of funny to joke about--1958Fury's post make me laugh, I admit--but Donald Trump is not remotely a Nazi. He's terrible, but it's important to remember that Nazis were Nazis. It doesn't mean we can't make a comparison of Trump's fascist tendencies to Nazism, but I think it dilutes both the evilness of actual Nazism and of Donald Trump's policy ideas to say that Trump is a Nazi.