snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 28 July 2015, 09:00 AM

Cheer Google+ to Be Unlinked from YouTube and Other Google Products

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/googl...ts-ana-hoffman
Quote:
In the coming weeks, YouTube will no longer require a Google+ profile when you want to upload, comment, or create a channel.

If you’re happy with everything as it is now, then just keep on keepin’ on.

If you want to remove your Google+ profile, you’ll be able to do this in the coming months, but do not do it now or you’ll delete your YouTube channel! http://tgcafe.it/1LONTzI
Some background from today's Business Insider (emphasis mine):
Google admits defeat and guts a key part of Google+
Quote:
And whenever Google released stats about how many monthly active users Plus had, it felt misleading, since so many people only used Google Plus through other services. Plus was supposed to be Google's launch into social— its answer to Facebook or Twitter — but it never achieved mainstream adoption.

{ snip }

Moving forward, you'll only need a Google Account — no Google+ profile — to use Google's services.

The dis-integration will start with YouTube. When Google first started forcing YouTube users to have a Google+ account if they wanted to comment on videos or share content, the community was particularly vehement about the requirement.
Yay! I can finally get rid of the Google+ accounts I never wanted in the first place.

Brian
Old 28 July 2015, 10:34 PM

Finally!
Old 01 August 2015, 08:29 AM

I wish Google+ had taken off -- I like the control over who sees your messages and some other features much better than Facebook. But, it never got the "critical mass" needed to snowball; it was never near the point where I could move away from Facebook and still keep in touch with enough of my friends to matter. As it is, I peek at it once in a while and generally only see posts from Felicia Day, Wil Wheaton, and the Bernie Sanders campaign. (I also occasionally post there at random -- sometimes things I'm not comfortable posting on Facebook, to a more limited circle; things I feel I have to vent about, but with the knowledge that it's quite likely no one will read it, let alone respond.)

That said, I still thought it was dumb to try to 'force' people there by linking it to YouTube and other places. I don't mind if they want to offer the option of signing into sites using Google+ (as many sites offer to let you log in via Facebook) but it should never have been mandatory.

But then, I'm someone who likes keeping all my net social activity separated. (See This Book is Full of Spiders by David Wong; I'm Batman, not Iron Man...)
Old 01 August 2015, 10:48 AM

I'm pretty much in the same camp as you, E. Q. After my incredibly disappointing and extremely irritating one-month-long experience with Facebook a few years ago, I found Google+ to be exactly what I wanted - but it never even developed into the limited experience I wanted it to be, let alone what Google wanted. Oh well.

I'm trying out Google's Blogger, where I expect I will be able to blog meaningless junk that no one will ever see unless I tell someone specifically to go look - which is kind of perfect for my RPG gaming group.
Old 03 August 2015, 10:18 AM

Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughdrops View Post
Finally!
I can't wait for it to happen. I'm also looking forward to detaching my Picasa account from Google+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
That said, I still thought it was dumb to try to 'force' people there by linking it to YouTube and other places. I don't mind if they want to offer the option of signing into sites using Google+ (as many sites offer to let you log in via Facebook) but it should never have been mandatory.
I've never had a Facebook account and I have kept my Google+ pages as barren as possible since the whole social networking thing doesn't interest me at all. (I do use LinkedIn because it's work-related but it's entirely limited to my career and has absolutely nothing to do with my personal life or interests.) Even if I liked that sort of thing I wouldn't have used Google+ since it was forced on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I'm pretty much in the same camp as you, E. Q. After my incredibly disappointing and extremely irritating one-month-long experience with Facebook a few years ago, I found Google+ to be exactly what I wanted - but it never even developed into the limited experience I wanted it to be, let alone what Google wanted. Oh well.
In addition to being appalled by their effort to force it on people I never understood their desire to take on Facebook. A much better alternative in my opinion would have been to try something different like Pinterest. That site has became very successful over roughly the same time period without trying to take on Facebook. And it wasn't forced on people.

Brian