snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22 June 2015, 01:28 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,599
United States The truth about Confederate history

History books, the media, the school systems, etc abound in falsehoods and
inaccuracies of Confederate and Southern history. This fact sheet will
help to clarify and dispel some of these rampant inaccuracies.

MYTH – The War of 1861 – 1865 was fought over slavery.

FACT – Terribly untrue. The North fought the war over money. Plain and
simple. When the South started Secession, Lincoln was asked, “Why not let
the South go in peace?” To which he replied, “I can’t let them go. Who
would pay for the government?” Sensing total financial ruin for the North,
Lincoln waged war on the South. The South fought the War to repel Northern
aggression and invasion.

MYTH – Only Southerners owned slaves.

FACT – Entirely untrue. Many Northern civilians owned slaves. Prior to,
during and even after the War Of Northern Aggression.

Surprisingly, to many history impaired individuals, most Union Generals
and staff had slaves to serve them! William T. Sherman had many slaves
that served him until well after the war was over and did not free them
until late in 1865.

U.S. Grant also had several slaves, who were only freed after the 13th
amendment in December of 1865. When asked why he didn’t free his slaves
earlier, Grant stated “Good help is so hard to come by these days.”

Contrarily, Confederate General Robert E. Lee freed his slaves (which he
never purchased – they were inherited) in 1862!!! Lee freed his slaves
several years before the war was over, and considerably earlier than his
Northern counterparts. And during the fierce early days of the war when
the South was obliterating the Yankee armies!

MYTH – The Confederate Battle Flag was flown on slave ships.

FACT – NONE of the flags of the Confederacy or Southern Nation ever
flew over a slave ship. Nor did the South own or operate any slaves ships.
The English, the Dutch and the Portuguese brought slaves to this country,
not the Southern Nation.

BUT, even more monumental, it is also very important to know and
understand that Federal, Yankee, Union ships brought slaves to America!
These ships were from the New England states, and their hypocrisy is
atrocious.

These Federals were ones that ended up crying the loudest about slavery.
But without their ships, many of the slaves would have never arrived here.
They made countless fortunes on the delivery of slaves as well as the
products made from raw materials such as cotton and tobacco in the South.

This is the problem with Yankee history History is overwhelmingly
portrayed incorrectly by most of the Federal & Yankee books and media.

MYTH – The Confederate Battle Flag represented the Southern Nation.

FACT – Not true. While the Southern Battle flag was carried into
battle, the Southern Nation had 3 different National flags during the
course of the war.

The First National flag was changed due to a resemblance of the US flag.

The Second National flag was subsequently modified due to the similarity
to a flag of truce.

The Third National flag was the adopted flag of the Confederacy.

The Confederate Battle Flag was never a National Flag of the Confederacy.
It was carried into battle by several armies such as the Army Of Northen
Virginia and the Army of Tennessee. Was also used as a Naval Jack by the
Confederate Navy.

MYTH – The Confederate Battle Flag is known as the “Stars & Bars”.

FACT – A common misconception. The First National Confederate Flag is
correctly known as the “Stars & Bars”. The Confederate Battle Flag is
known as the “Southern Cross”.

MYTH – The Confederate Battle Flag represents racism today.

FACT – The Confederate Battle Flag today finds itself in the center of
much controversy and hoopla going on in several states. The cry to take
this flag down is unjustified. It is very important to keep in mind that
the Confederate Battle Flag was simply just that. A battle flag. It was
never even a National flag, so how could it have flown over a slave nation
or represented slavery or racism? This myth is continued by lack of
education and ignorance. Those that vilify the Confederate Battle Flag are
very confused about history and have jumped upon a bandwagon with loose
wheels.

MYTH – The United States Flag represented freedom.

FACT – No chance. The US flag flew over a slave nation for over 85
years! The North tolerated slavery and acknowledged it as a Division Of
Labor. The North made a vast fortune on slavery and it’s commodities. It
wasn’t until the South decided to leave the Union that the North objected.
The North knew it could not survive without the Southern money. That is
the true definition of hypocrisy.

MYTH – Abraham Lincoln was the Great Emancipator.

FACT – While Lincoln has went down in history as the Great Emancipator,
many would not care to hear his real thoughts on people of color. Martyred
President Abraham Lincoln was fervently making plans to send all freed
slaves to the jungles of Central America once the war was over. Knowing
that African society would never allow the slaves to return back to
Africa, Lincoln also did not want the slaves in the US. He thought the
jungles of Central America would be the best solution and conducive to the
freed slaves best interest. The only thing that kept this from happening,
was his assassination.

MYTH – The South revered slavery.

FACT – A very interesting fact on slavery is that at the time the War
of 1861 -1865 officially commenced, the Southern States were actually in
the process of freeing all slaves in the South. Russia had freed it’s
servants in 1859, and the South took great note of this. Had military
intervention not been forced upon the South, a very different America
would have been realized then as well as now.

MYTH – The Confederate Army was comprised of rich slave owners.

FACT – Very far from true. The vast majority of soldiers in the
Confederate Army were simple men of meager income. Most of which were hard
working farmers and common men. Then, as now, very few rich men ever fight
a war.

MYTH – Only the North had men of color in their ranks.

FACT – Quite simply a major falsehood of history. Many blacks, both
free and of their own will, joined the Confederate Army to fight for their
beloved Southern home. Additionally, men of other ethnic extraction fought
as well. Oriental, Mexican & Spanish men as well as Native American
Indians fought with pride for the South.

Today, many men of color are members in the heritage group SCV – Sons Of
Confederate Veterans. These men of color and pride rejoice in their
heritage. The continued attacks on the Southern Nation, The Confederacy,
and her symbols are a terrible outrage to these fine people. These attacks
should be denounced with as much fervor as those who denounce the South.

MYTH – The Confederate Flags are an authorized symbol of Aryan, KKK and
hate groups.

FACT – Quite the contrary. These despicable organizations such as the
KKK and Aryans have taken a hallowed piece of history, and have plagued
good Southern folks and the memories of fine Confederate Soldiers that
fought under the flag with their perverse agenda. IN NO WAY does the
Confederate Flag represent hate or violence. Heritage groups such as the
SCV battle daily the damage done to a proud nation by these hate groups.
The SCV denounces all hate groups, and pridefully boast HERITAGE – NOT
HATE.

MYTH – The SCV – Sons Of Confederate Veterans are a racist, hate group.

FACT – This is a blatant attack on one of the finest heritage groups
ever. The SCV – Sons Of Confederate Veterans are a historical, patriotic
and non-political organization comprised of descendants of Confederate
Soldiers and sailors dedicated to insuring that a true history of the
1861 -1865 period is preserved and presented to the public. The SCV
continues to educate the public of the memory and reputation of the
Confederate soldier as well as the motives for his suffering and
sacrifice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22 June 2015, 02:22 AM
musicgeek's Avatar
musicgeek musicgeek is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2005
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 5,250
Default



The war ended; the South lost. Let it go. "Yankee history" - good grief.

Insisting upon specific terminology other than what is generally used by most historians doesn't help win people over, especially when that terminology includes pejoratives such as "Yankee" or outdated terms such as "Oriental."

The strawman "myths" aren't helping the case, either. I can honestly say I've never heard anyone argue that the Confederate flag is problematic because it was flown on slave ships, or that the rich slave owners made up the ranks of the Confederate army.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22 June 2015, 02:44 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,599
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
The strawman "myths" aren't helping the case, either. I can honestly say I've never heard anyone argue that the Confederate flag is problematic because it was flown on slave ships, or that the rich slave owners made up the ranks of the Confederate army.
Or that "Confederate Flags are an authorized symbol of Aryan, KKK and hate groups." Exactly who could "authorize" such usage, given that the Confederate government ceased to exist 150 years ago?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22 June 2015, 02:45 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,599
Roll eyes

Quote:
FACT – NONE of the flags of the Confederacy or Southern Nation ever
flew over a slave ship. Nor did the South own or operate any slaves ships.
Well, that makes it okay then -- the South wasn't the supplier of slaves, just the customer who created the demand for them. And even that isn't saying much, since the Confederacy only existed during the last four years of legal slavery, so during the hundreds of years prior to then there was no Confederate flag to fly over those slave ships.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22 June 2015, 02:57 AM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is online now
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 10,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
History books, the media, the school systems, etc abound in falsehoods and
inaccuracies of Confederate and Southern history. This fact sheet will
help to clarify and dispel some of these rampant inaccuracies.

MYTH – The War of 1861 – 1865 was fought over slavery.

FACT – Terribly untrue. The North fought the war over money. Plain and
simple. When the South started Secession, Lincoln was asked, “Why not let
the South go in peace?” To which he replied, “I can’t let them go. Who
would pay for the government?” Sensing total financial ruin for the North,
Lincoln waged war on the South. The South fought the War to repel Northern
aggression and invasion.
*Snicker*

Really, what money? The Confederacy was horrifically dependent on a single crop (cotton) for the majority of its income and at a serious disadvantage logistically during the war because of the Union's robust factories.

Great Cthulhu, Dan Brown's works are better grounded in reality than this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22 June 2015, 03:00 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,599
No

Quote:
Martyred President Abraham Lincoln was fervently making plans to send all freed slaves to the jungles of Central America once the war was over. He thought the jungles of Central America would be the best solution and conducive to the freed slaves best interest. The only thing that kept this from happening, was his assassination.
Uh, no. It was one of the solutions to the slave problem that Lincoln wrestled with, but he had abandoned any mention of it by the end of 1862.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22 June 2015, 04:08 AM
geminilee's Avatar
geminilee geminilee is offline
 
Join Date: 02 December 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 11,511
Default

"African society"? Which one, exactly, do they mean? Not one single society in all of Africa would agree to take them back?

And here I thought it was because the vast majority of slaves (at the time of the civil war, oops, I mean " the war of northern aggression" ) had never lived in Africa and had no real desire to go live in a country they had never seen.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22 June 2015, 04:09 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is online now
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 22,445
No

This would be laughable if millions of Americans didn't believe this manure.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22 June 2015, 04:18 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is online now
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 22,445
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
The Second National flag was subsequently modified due to the similarity
to a flag of truce.
It was a white flag with the infamous one one in the corner. And why did they put the battle flag in the corner? Duh. Because it already represented the Confederacy in 1863 and has ever since.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22 June 2015, 04:32 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is online now
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 22,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
A very interesting fact on slavery is that at the time the War
of 1861 -1865 officially commenced, the Southern States were actually in
the process of freeing all slaves in the South. Russia had freed it’s
servants in 1859, and the South took great note of this.
AYFKM? Great Britain had already freed its African slaves in 1838 throughout the British empire. Much of the rest of the world had before secession, too, including Colombia (New Granada), Argentina, Peru, Venezuela. But Russia freed its servants and that supposedly made the south emancipation curious? Could the people who write this stuff really be that stupid or are they just trolling?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22 June 2015, 04:34 AM
erwins's Avatar
erwins erwins is offline
 
Join Date: 04 April 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11,089
Default

This is not too far from some of the things I was taught growing up in the South. I have always been inquisitive and a fact checker, so I shook most of it off before I was too old, but a lot of people are taught stuff like this as gospel, and don't have the nature or the skills to shake it off.

(The stuff I was taught was more standard Lost Cause stuff, not quite as bad as this stuff).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22 June 2015, 04:41 AM
geminilee's Avatar
geminilee geminilee is offline
 
Join Date: 02 December 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 11,511
Default

I got the economic argument. Since I tend to analyze things rather than just accept what people tell me, though, I spotted the flaw pretty quick. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that that was the reason the north wouldn't just let the south secede. That still leaves the reason the south wanted to secede as "so we can keep slaves".
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22 June 2015, 04:44 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is online now
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 22,445
Default

I used to believe those lies about the confederate flag - that it was just a symbol of the south and all that - even though I knew most of the other history well enough not to be fooled by the rest of this kind of BS
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22 June 2015, 07:06 AM
lord_feldon's Avatar
lord_feldon lord_feldon is offline
 
Join Date: 08 August 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,364
Default

Quote:
FACT – Not true. While the Southern Battle flag was carried into
battle, the Southern Nation had 3 different National flags during the
course of the war.
Yes, so very, very different. You can't even tell they're related at all, not even a little bit.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22 June 2015, 01:32 PM
A Turtle Named Mack's Avatar
A Turtle Named Mack A Turtle Named Mack is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 21,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
*Snicker*

Really, what money? The Confederacy was horrifically dependent on a single crop (cotton) for the majority of its income and at a serious disadvantage logistically during the war because of the Union's robust factories.
What you say is true, but a disproportionate amount of the revenue stream for the federal government leading up to the Civil War came from the South, via tariffs on imported manufactured goods. The federal government did not impose any personal taxes, like income taxes, sales taxes, etc. (when it tried during the war, the courts rejected those as unconstitutional). Most of the income was from tariffs (i.e. taxes on imports). The North, because it was developing an industrial base much faster than the South was, favored higher tariffs on manufactured goods. This both raised revenue and made northern manufactures more attractive economically to southern buyers than the imported goods from England (or was it the UK by then - I forget). As early as 1829, South Carolina had discussed secession in response to raised tariffs (there was no threat of abolition at this time). The tensions between north and south over the tariffs on 1829 led to a repeal in 1833. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati..._United_States
Still, in the 1850s, tariffs (identified in the linked chart as 'ad valorem taxes', which may include some other taxes, like excise taxes)were more than 80% of federal revenue, and since the south relied much more on imports and exports than the north did, this certainly was disproportionately from the South. Secession would have been a huge hit on federal revenues, even though the north's economy was roughly twice the size of the south's. http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/yearrev1855_0.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
This would be laughable if millions of Americans didn't believe this manure.
Cite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
This is not too far from some of the things I was taught growing up in the South. I have always been inquisitive and a fact checker, so I shook most of it off before I was too old, but a lot of people are taught stuff like this as gospel, and don't have the nature or the skills to shake it off.

(The stuff I was taught was more standard Lost Cause stuff, not quite as bad as this stuff).
Really? That's ... curious. I was raised in Alabama in 60s and 70s and none of this was taught. (ETA: Correction - there were some details listed above that were taught, such as that most of the southern fighters were poor farmboys who had not been in slave-owning families, and that there were some black Confederate soldiers. We discussed the tariff issues as part of the overall aggravation the South had with the North, as a source of secession sentiment - in addition to concerns about abolition being imposed by the faster-growing North. We discussed that a large percentage of the slave ships were run by New Englanders. But the vast, vast majority of the content above was not even touched upon.)

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 22 June 2015 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 22 June 2015, 02:05 PM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is online now
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 22,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Cite?
http://www.people-press.org/2011/04/...till-divisive/

Of the 48% who believe that "states rights" baloney, I'd say at least ten percent also believe the rest of this codswallop. What's millions? Less than one percent. Yep. For certain at least one percent believe this stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22 June 2015, 03:51 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 72,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
This is not too far from some of the things I was taught growing up in the South. I have always been inquisitive and a fact checker, so I shook most of it off before I was too old, but a lot of people are taught stuff like this as gospel, and don't have the nature or the skills to shake it off.

(The stuff I was taught was more standard Lost Cause stuff, not quite as bad as this stuff).
I grew up in Ohio, and some of my history textbooks (early to mid 70s) included Lost Cause interpretations of the Civil War.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22 June 2015, 03:53 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 72,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Really? That's ... curious. I was raised in Alabama in 60s and 70s and none of this was taught. [snip] the vast, vast majority of the content above was not even touched upon.)
Re-read the parenthetical statement at the end of erwins' post.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 22 June 2015, 04:48 PM
geminilee's Avatar
geminilee geminilee is offline
 
Join Date: 02 December 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 11,511
Default

There is also more than one way/place to be taught things. School kind of minimized the issues, or gave mostly the standard current explanation quickly, holding its nose like it was taking medicine.

No, I got the argument from just about every good ol' boy with a Confederate flag on their truck, so most of them. I was taught it from many sources. The flag stood for heritage, not hate, but it was everywhere in my still-segregated-in-the-90s town.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22 June 2015, 06:31 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 16,826
Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
FACT – NONE of the flags of the Confederacy or Southern Nation ever flew over a slave ship. Nor did the South own or operate any slaves ships.
The English, the Dutch and the Portuguese brought slaves to this country,
not the Southern Nation.

BUT, even more monumental, it is also very important to know and
understand that Federal, Yankee, Union ships brought slaves to America!
These ships were from the New England states, and their hypocrisy is
atrocious.
It was illegal to import slaves starting in 1808 (yes, I know that's Wikipedia), so any union ships that were slavers ceased to be used as such long before the Civil War.

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experts find new evidence of why Confederate submarine sank after sinking enemy ship DrRocket War, What Is It Good For? 8 29 January 2013 02:20 PM
"Black Power" spray-painted on Confederate Flag? MadBlue Fauxtography 2 06 January 2013 01:40 AM
The truth about Haiti snopes Politics 5 25 March 2010 06:05 PM
Ain’t That the Truth snopes Snopes Spotting 0 09 September 2007 03:14 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.