snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 15 June 2015, 10:22 PM

Glasses Microsoft Word is randomly changing font size on paste

I can't believe no one else has ever run into this, but I found it impossible to search for the answer online.

I have a table of information. It started life as a photocopy, was scanned into pdf, ocr'd then exported to Word. After severe editing (which included changing font and font size, plus all the other trivia on the Font menu), I ended up with this nice table.

However, some of the data is substantially redundant. I'm now going through and consolidating. Part of this involves copying a few words from one cell and pasting them into another cell. In the process, word changes the font size from 10 to 11.

Can anyone help me figure out how to stop this?

A few things:

1. I am not copying between documents; this is all happening within the document.
B. The entire document has the same font and font size.
III. I am not copying the end of line or paragraph symbol (which is where M$, in its infinite wisdom, hides formatting information it doesn't want people to actually see or control).
4. My paste option within document is set to keep original formatting, and there is nothing checked in the smart cut and paste options that would explain this.

Am I doomed to frustration, or do any of you have any ideas? Preferably ones I haven't already tried

Seaboe
Old 15 June 2015, 10:35 PM

What's the default text size for the document? Even if the document been manually given font size 10, if the default font size for the document is 11, then pasted text will be size 11.

Check the "Normal" style on the Styles section of the ribbon. Right-click on the "Normal" style and select "Modify." That should show you the default font type and size for the document.
Old 16 June 2015, 01:16 AM

Hm. I've had similar, infrequent problems - text changing font, style or size on paste. It's never been anything more than an annoyance, so I never sought a solution. Thank you, TGG!
Old 16 June 2015, 03:11 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
What's the default text size for the document?
Ha! That's it. Which is bizarre, because when I created the document I set it to 10. However, I know (because of past experience) that Word's approach to styles doesn't even come close to being logical.

Thanks.

Seaboe
Old 16 June 2015, 04:01 PM

You could also just leave the bad font size alone until you've made all the changes then use the Replace dialog to change all occurrences of font size 11 with font size 10. (Replace, More>>, click in the "Find What" box but don't type anything, at the bottom select Format then Font then size 11. Click in the "Replace With" box but don't type anything, and do the same Format steps but set size to 10.)
Old 16 June 2015, 07:20 PM

Glasses

Thanks. That would work if I didn't find the differing font sizes so supremely irritating (I'm a little obsessive that way. Extra spaces bother me, too).

Seaboe