snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 28 January 2015, 12:37 PM

Default Captain Ed Freeman

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/freeman.asp
Old 28 January 2015, 05:04 PM

I wasn't born until after Vietnam ended. Things like the Affordable Care Act and the deaths of Treyvon Martin and Michael Brown are actually a lot more relevant to my life than the passing of some old vet who's main claim to fame was half a century ago.
Old 28 January 2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I wasn't born until after Vietnam ended. Things like the Affordable Care Act and the deaths of Treyvon Martin and Michael Brown are actually a lot more relevant to my life than the passing of some old vet who's main claim to fame was half a century ago.
I don't know anything about you, sir but I proudly salute people like captain Freeman.

I take your attitude with all the disdain this old vet can muster.
Old 28 January 2015, 06:42 PM

I've got nothing against vets. I'm just sick of how veteran status is constantly bandied around like it makes a person better than everyone else. So this guy was heroic a long time ago, and suddenly we're supposed to stop caring about social inequality and racist behavior from the law enforcement community because of it?
Old 28 January 2015, 06:48 PM

Do you have to stop caring about social inequality and racist behavior to acknowledge that someone who saved a lot of lives died?
Old 28 January 2015, 07:06 PM

According to the OP article, acknowledging it should be done over combating racial prejudice And inequality of the sexees, notwithstanding the fact that I don't own a Delorean that 2.1 Gigawatts of energy to take me back to 2009 for the OP to be relevant again.

ETA: It seems this "article" keeps coming back to life, always updated with the current "woes" of the year.
Old 28 January 2015, 07:08 PM

His veteran status isn't what makes him notable, nor is that the point of the piece. He was incredibly heroic. In that aspect of his life at least, he was better than many of us. And frankly, I would rather read about him than Kim Kardashian. If there was a version of the piece that suggested his death should have had more coverage than the ACA, Trayvon Martin, or Michael Brown, then I agree that those things should still be thoroughly covered, but we don't need to disparage a Medal of Honor winner to say that those things are as or more important to cover.
Old 28 January 2015, 08:54 PM

Serious question; I keep reading the link to the snopes page, and I see nothing about the ACA, Treyvon Martin, or anything like that. Just Chris Brown, Lindsay Lohan, etc. How did the ACA and racial injustice get into this?

Bringing up teh ACA would not even make sense. This hero flew into enemy fire to save lives, save lives, so don't talk about the president's proposal/ Congress's debate about the ACA?
Old 28 January 2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
His veteran status isn't what makes him notable, nor is that the point of the piece. He was incredibly heroic.[ In that aspect of his life at least, he was better than many of us.
I agree

Quote:
And frankly, I would rather read about him than Kim Kardashian.
You're not required to read about her at all, of course. And no one here has suggested coverage of KK is more important than coverage of Capt. Freeman.
Old 28 January 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Serious question; I keep reading the link to the snopes page, and I see nothing about the ACA, Treyvon Martin, or anything like that. Just Chris Brown, Lindsay Lohan, etc. How did the ACA and racial injustice get into this?
Originally, this thread bore an updated version of the email where one of the last paragraphs referred to those people or things. Barbara or snopes probably haven't had a chance (or don't think it is necessary) to update the linked page to include the latest version.
Old 28 January 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I agree

You're not required to read about her at all, of course. And no one here has suggested coverage of KK is more important than coverage of Capt. Freeman.
One version of the OP piece refers to Kardashian. I wasn't saying anyone here had said coverage of her was more important, or that I was required to read about her. I was merely expressing a preference. Kardashian does get much more coverage than Freeman's death did. I'm very clear on the fact that news media doesn't cater to my tastes though. (Nor am I saying it should).
Old 28 January 2015, 11:11 PM

Sorry, erwins, I hadn't read that version of the OP.
Old 29 January 2015, 03:16 PM

To me, all the versions of the OP read like someone complaining that the media doesn't cover what they like.

But like Erwins said, you're not required to read articles about Kim Kardashian if you don't want to. You don't have to read about police shootings, wife-beatings or anything else, really.

Overall, the media reports on what it believes will sell. This means the death of a WWII soldier will not get much press, regardless of how great his exploits were... until they make a movie about him, maybe starring Brad Pitt or directed by Angelina Jolie!