snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 23 December 2014, 10:22 PM

Default Black Hebrews? Blacks in America before Columbus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hebrew_Israelites

The youtube video's of these guys looks pretty ridiculous but there are a few others that show claims of history being changed. I mean it's not unlikely for slave owners to want to change a few things.

So what about the Jews being black (not so far as the "5%" that rappers like Jay-z claims, saying he's a god over the white man), and also that blacks were in America before Columbus?

What are some for sure false changes in history on this topic?
Old 24 December 2014, 02:29 AM

I think there is plenty of evidence to say the Hebrew religion was in Africa long before it moved West. I think you can start with the Bible for that evidence.

As for the Columbus being first or not, you must remember that it stayed settled by the Old World Settlers since his arrival. Lets not for get that those who make maps and write things down are the ones who tend to make the history books.
Old 24 December 2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
I think there is plenty of evidence to say the Hebrew religion was in Africa long before it moved West. I think you can start with the Bible for that evidence.
Ummm. There is a difference between Semitic and black-African. The Hebrew/Jewish religion in the Middle East, not in Africa.

There have been several groups (usually persecuted minorities) who have defined themselves as descended of the "ten lost tribes of Israel." (According to the biblical texts, those were the tribes of the northern kingdom, conquered by Assyria in 722 BCE, who then disappeared from history -- presumably, either absorbed into the two tribes of the southern kingdom, or assimilated into the broader Assyrian culture.) The most notable are the Ethiopian Jews, who have been moved to modern-day Israel. The Israeli government has accepted them as Jews because they practiced a form of Judaism and were persecuted for it in Ethiopia, but it's clear genetically that they are NOT descended from the lost tribes.
Old 24 December 2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:
If you're talking about the Book of Exodus, the archeological evidence for it is pretty slim. Hebrews did travel around the region, but there isn't anything that supports the idea that there was ever a large population of Hebrews living in Egypt as slaves that then left Egypt en mass for Israel.
Old 24 December 2014, 04:37 AM

I would not think it is so outrageous that African explorers may have come here. Everyone else did. Also, it is not small, so a fairly easy place to find. And we know they made it to Australia a good 50,000 YA. I don't see anything automatically implausible that at least a few people who were intrepid explorers, or merely badly lost, might end up here. (Can't watch vid, but didn't see specific pre-Colombus claims.)

I am not saying DID happen, by any means. But COULD HAVE? Sure, I will go that far. Now find the bodies, or other evidence.
Old 24 December 2014, 05:55 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
I would not think it is so outrageous that African explorers may have come here.[...]And we know they made it to Australia a good 50,000 YA.
Pardon my nitpicking but that would have been explorers who had lived for many millennia in Asia, not people directly from Africa. The indigenous Australians are less closely related to (modern) Africans than the Europeans - or than any other group, for that matter. By most accounts, they probably crossed by land bridge. So, actually, they were no more explorers from Africa than the first people to cross the Bering Strait were.
Old 24 December 2014, 09:54 AM

My wild guess would be that some Jews may have ended up in Africa after the Diaspora.

Quote:
I could if I took the Bible as historical evidence, but I don't.
Old 24 December 2014, 12:15 PM

Whalephant

Well there are the Ethiopian Jews- according to Wiki a 2012 study shows some Jewish ancestry 2000 years ago or so. (Mitochondrian DNA shows the most common ancestry is from present-day Somalia).
Old 11 April 2015, 12:46 AM

I remember that there were claims that some substance found with Egyptian mummies only could have come from the Americas. But I don't know what to believe about that.
Old 18 April 2015, 10:26 PM

Tobacco and Cacao beans are what you're thinking of but I don't think they've ever verified that. It wouldn't be all that surprising if trade among the ancients was wider than we know. As for what race people were the best comments I've heard on that were from archeologists point out that ancient cities weren't homogenous to begin with. There was widespread travel and migration and an ancient city would have looked like New York today - if someone asked what race they were you'd have to reply all different kinds. Skin color wasn't a big deal in their world.
Old 31 August 2015, 03:35 AM

Well I think it's decently documented that there was a Hebrew Kingdom of Semien in what is now North West Ethiopia from maybe the 4th century to the 17th that was fairly cut off from Mediterranean/European Jewish life and tradition. These would be dark skinned Africans. Israel has recognized Ethiopian Jews since 1975 under the Law of Return.

Was the Jewish faith common in pre-modern Africa, I don't think so.

Are most modern African Americans descended from Semienites? It seems really, really, really unlikely.

Given that Semien was part of Ethiopia by the time the slave trade was really going, and Ethiopia was fairly isolated sultanate/kingdom it seems especially unlikely. While Ethiopians practiced slavery (until 1942!) they did so mostly against Ethiopia's Southern ethnic minorities and wasn't really linked into the trans-Atlantic slave trade, but rather the slavery in the Arab world.

As to these BHI types some are pretty extreme black supremacists/nationalists - I've seen them on the street, preaching, they do not seem chill, other less public groups likely are. The beliefs of BHI history seem about as accurate as Mormon biblical history...
Old 31 August 2015, 05:06 AM

Several Ethiopian languages are classified as Semitic, Western Semitic to be precise, like Arabic, Aramaic, Hebrew, and Caananite languages are. and I've always thought that family tree was an interesting one.

http://www.britannica.com/topic/Semi...ges#ref1004480

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 31 August 2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01 September 2015, 04:13 PM

Somali is also a member of that language family, so yes, there has to be an old connection between the Middle East and East Africa.