snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 29 April 2014, 10:29 PM

Reading Toronto Public Library asked to pull Dr. Seuss book 'Hop on Pop'

A popular tale by Dr. Seuss was one of seven books that patrons have asked Toronto Public Library to remove from its collection over the past year.

A library patron asked the library's materials review committee to pull "Hop on Pop," a children's classic written in 1963, because of the book's violent themes.

"The complaint was that it was violent and encouraged children to be violent with their fathers," Vickery Bowles, the Toronto Public Library’s director of collections management, told CTV News Channel on Tuesday.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-pu...-pop-1.1797204
Old 29 April 2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
The patron recommended the book be removed, and requested the Toronto Public Library not only apologize to Greater Toronto Area fathers but pay damages resulting from the book's violent message.
Was the patron Homer Simpson?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8e_PMBU_34
Old 29 April 2014, 11:27 PM

Icon402

The third line of that section advocates NOT hopping on pop. Clearly, the complainer just had too much difficulty with the first two lines to bear reading the rest. Or perhaps after reading about the horrors of dropping a HOUSE on a MOUSE, and the lasciviousness of RED NED TED and ED in BED, that was just the last straw.

In all seriousness, though, I suspect this may have been someone having a bit of a laugh.
Old 30 April 2014, 01:20 AM

It's possible of course. I used to work in a public library and we did not take any action on anonymous complaints. If someone wanted to object to any material that we had they had to fill out a pretty detailed form explaining what they found objectionable and why and also telling us what they thought we ought to do - that sort of thing. They also needed to provide their name and contact details. I'd be very surprised if TPL does things any differently. If the concerned parent was having a laugh they went to a fair bit of trouble to do it and caused work for people who have more than enough to do already!
Old 30 April 2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
It's possible of course. I used to work in a public library and we did not take any action on anonymous complaints. If someone wanted to object to any material that we had they had to fill out a pretty detailed form explaining what they found objectionable and why and also telling us what they thought we ought to do - that sort of thing. They also needed to provide their name and contact details. I'd be very surprised if TPL does things any differently. If the concerned parent was having a laugh they went to a fair bit of trouble to do it and caused work for people who have more than enough to do already!
You are correct. There is a specific procedure. From the TPL website:

"Should you have an issue with an item in our collection, we ask that you talk to our staff at your local branch. We value intellectual freedom and choose our materials carefully. Because of the importance we place on the materials in our collection, we have a separate procedure for the reconsideration of library materials. Branch staff can explain the procedure to you, along with our Materials Selection Policy, and assist you in filling out the applicable forms if necessary."

The full list of items for reconsideration is here. The funniest to me is the one for the DVD 'Here's My Boy', the Adam Sandler movie. The customer only watched 10 minutes of it.
Old 30 April 2014, 06:45 PM

When I read it I thought it was a parody or satire, to make a point about the absurdity of complaints or other book removals. But that would only make sense if the TPL had banned other books for flimsy reasons. base on the minutes that Sooeygun posted* TPL seems very responsible and defaults to not banning a book. So busy professionals who are trying their best to make sound decisions really do not need that kind of foolishness if it was a joke.

*Thank you for posting it. I found it very interesting. I for one would have thought that the romance novel audiobook, despite being by a popular author, perhaps should have been removed based on the first discussion point about the heroine saying no to sex but later succumbing.
Old 30 April 2014, 06:52 PM

There was an Almost Live episode (a Seattle-based sketch comedy show active in the 80s and 90s and best known for finding Joel McHale of Talk Soup and Community fame) that had a guy making this exact argument for why the book ought to be banned. Silly comix imitates life. News at 11.
Old 30 April 2014, 06:54 PM

(ETA: responding to Dr. Dave). If materials were removed on that basis, a *lot* of stuff would have to go. The cure for bad speech is more speech--talking about such harmful attitudes and tropes.
Old 30 April 2014, 07:02 PM

I do not disagree. Overall, based on the seven listed books and decisions, I think TPL is doing a fine job.