snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 08 March 2014, 04:32 AM

Airplane Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane en route to Beijing with 239 aboard

A Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 239 people en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing is missing, the airline confirmed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia...th-239-aboard/
Old 08 March 2014, 05:35 AM

Default Malaysian plane crashed off Vietnam coast: state media

A Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew crashed into the sea 153 miles off the coast of Vietnam's Tho Chu island, according to a Vietnamese navy officer quoted by state media.

http://news.yahoo.com/malaysian-plan...--finance.html
Old 08 March 2014, 06:19 AM

Tragic. At work today, (travel agency) we kept waiting for some good news to come through, as there was talk of it making an emergency landing in China.
Sadly it was not so.
Old 08 March 2014, 11:44 AM

Default Oil Slick Sighting Is First Sign Malaysia Airlines Plane May Have Crashed

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/wo...ight.html?_r=0
Quote:
A 12-mile long oil slick spotted between Malaysia and Vietnam Saturday afternoon is thought to be the first sign that a missing Malaysia Airlines flight with 239 people aboard went down in the waters between southernmost Vietnam and northern Malaysia, according to Vietnam’s director of civil aviation.
Old 08 March 2014, 04:49 PM

It appears that so far they have only found a oil slick or two, but no wreckage. Airplanes tend to contain a lot of thing that float. So oil does not belong to a airplane that landed in the water that crashed and broke up and then sank. Though the oil may be from dumping fuel (kerosene) before ditch several miles away. If they managed to ditch without braking up and sinking there should be people that got out and into the life rafts safely.

Hopefully we get more answers to what actually happen to the airplane and its passengers other then some report of a oil slick soon.
Old 08 March 2014, 04:54 PM

News reports this morning suggested that the US government is investigating it as a possible terrorist attack.
Old 08 March 2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
News reports this morning suggested that the US government is investigating it as a possible terrorist attack.
I'd be wary about reading too much into that. Whenever a plane crashes they usually stand up a team to investigate possible terrorist activity until the cause of the crash is 100% established. Given how fast evidence and investigative trails go cold it just makes more sense to stand a team you might need up right off the bat.

Now the fact that this is an statistically amazingly safe airframe which seemed to have gone down during the statistically safest part of the flight is odd, but it is too early to draw any conclusions yet.
Old 08 March 2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Is that significant? I would think that they consider all air crashes as terrorist attacks and mechanical failure and crew error and weather related and ... until they have actual data ruling out the various possibilities.

JB has quicker fingers than I do.
Old 08 March 2014, 05:38 PM

Vanishing 2 on missing Malaysian plane had stolen passports

Two passengers on the flight manifest for the Malaysian jetliner that vanished with 239 on board weren't on board the plane, foreign ministry officials in Italy and Austria said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ssing/6199161/
Old 08 March 2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
I'd be wary about reading too much into that. Whenever a plane crashes they usually stand up a team to investigate possible terrorist activity until the cause of the crash is 100% established. Given how fast evidence and investigative trails go cold it just makes more sense to stand a team you might need up right off the bat.

Now the fact that this is an statistically amazingly safe airframe which seemed to have gone down during the statistically safest part of the flight is odd, but it is too early to draw any conclusions yet.
Actually, I posted too soon. I mean to say that it didn't seem much like a typical terrorist attack on an airplane, since most of the time when terrorists have gone after planes they've tried to attract a lot of attention to it.

This circumstance, where the plane apparently went silent and disappeared, sounds more like there was an electrical failure or some other malfunction.
Old 08 March 2014, 06:15 PM

Or they could have dropped below radar and dumped the fuel into the ocean before landing in a near by county. Now the hostages are being moved to a safer location and we will hear more in a day or two. Not that I think that is what happen, but they have not found any wreckage by the news reports so far.
Old 08 March 2014, 06:18 PM

Yeah but a terrorist group doing that without making demands or claiming responsibility would be a pretty new tactic for them.

There is some weirdness here, such as the passports and the suddenness of whatever happened, enough so I'm not taking outside human elements off the table, but I agree that it doesn't seem all that likely.

Right now I'm leaning toward a pretty catastrophic mechanical or airframe failure.
Old 08 March 2014, 06:39 PM

I'm guessing that were trying to make a water landing for some reason. The reason is that they have only found a unexplained oil slick on the water and no wreckage. The inside of an air plane is made of lot of stuff that floats well even when broken into small pieces. A oil slick with out wreckage is a good sign they dropped fuel and a very low altitude near the water. The wreckage may be flouting some miles away for the oil slick they found. Remember it is hard to see on the water from a ship on the water and that is the only report we have at this time.
Old 10 March 2014, 02:26 PM

This morning the news reported that the oil slick was determined to be unrelated to the missing airliner.

To me, the fact that no wreckage has been found yet would suggest the plane came down relatively intact. Had it broken up in midair, there would have been wreckage strewn over a wide area, some of which would have been spotted by now.
Old 10 March 2014, 02:49 PM

Glasses

My employer will be sending a team as soon as they find any wreckage. Sigh. Those guys have the worst job in the company, in some ways.

Seaboe
Old 10 March 2014, 05:43 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
To me, the fact that no wreckage has been found yet would suggest the plane came down relatively intact. Had it broken up in midair, there would have been wreckage strewn over a wide area, some of which would have been spotted by now.
Like Air France 447... I can't remember of the top of my head how long it took before any wreckage was found from that crash, but it seems like that took days, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
My employer will be sending a team as soon as they find any wreckage. Sigh. Those guys have the worst job in the company, in some ways.

Seaboe
The 777 had such a good safety record up until the Asiana crash last year, too, and now this...
Old 10 March 2014, 06:41 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
The 777 had such a good safety record up until the Asiana crash last year, too, and now this...
Until we know more, it is very hard to blame the craft. Especially with the mysterious use of stolen passports of people known to be alive, I am not thinking this si something that can be blamed on the quality of the jet.
Old 10 March 2014, 06:44 PM

The stolen passports are apparently not as significant as you might think. Obviously still something to investigate, but it seems fake passports are fairly common for a variety of reasons in those areas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26503141

Quote:
The presence of two passengers with stolen passports is a breach of security, but could relate to illegal migration. John Magaw - a former under-secretary for the US Transport and Security Administration and former director of the US Secret Service - has told the BBC there were "quite a few people that do fly, especially in that part of the world, with improper identification or false identification".

When an Air India plane crashed in Mangalore in 2010 en route from Dubai, with the loss of 158 lives, as many as 10 fraudulent passports were recovered.
Old 10 March 2014, 06:48 PM

I thought drug smugglers when I first heard about the stolen passports honestly. But maybe I watch too much Locked up Abroad.
Old 10 March 2014, 06:53 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Until we know more, it is very hard to blame the craft.
I wasn't blaming the aircraft. I was just pointing out that prior to the Asiana crash there had never been a fatal accident involving a 777, and it's kind of sad to see that streak broken not once but (apparently) twice in relatively short succession. I'm sure it's just bad luck, but it's still sad.