snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 16 May 2007, 01:37 AM

Default Tourettes Guy

Does anyone know anything about the loud, angry subject of TourettesGuy.com? The site seems to play it off as legit, but it just seems VERY fake to me. Between his penchant to scream "BOB SAGET" and his totally random neck brace...

I dunno, it just seems like a parody to me.
Old 16 May 2007, 02:25 AM

I asked the same question on the old boards. I don't know how to access and if it is still in the archives.
IIRC the responses I got was that it could very well be real but he is clearly embellishing his situation. Someone pointed out that his physical characteristics were like those with tourettes. The fact he is drinking heavily makes one think he is exasperating his problem.
Old 16 May 2007, 02:49 AM
Wesman

Spit Take

This has been around for awhile. I think its very funny, but defiantly fake. I dont really know enough about tourettes to tell you why, but I'm sure someboddy does.

Wesman
Old 16 May 2007, 01:12 PM
Dyfsunctional

Contrary to the popular image of Tourette's, it's more about physical and verbal tics (and sometimes compulsory behavior) than it is about randomly blurting out curse words. Many, many people with Tourette's never use foul language. This guy is acting out the Tourette's stereotype, and doing it pretty poorly.

Watch the video at the drive-through (yeah, I said through, not thru!). The voice of the guy in the store is way too well-recorded to be real. It sounds like someone in the car talking into a coffee cup.
Old 16 May 2007, 03:13 PM
BSEliot

My brother has Tourettes and all he would do is make little noises, clear his throat a lot, and his face would contort. The Tourette's is one of the most stereotyped things in the world. It's up there with gamer living in mom's basement at age 35.
Old 16 May 2007, 04:36 PM

The site carries the following disclaimer on the home page:
Quote:
Disclaimer:

This site contains videos of a man we call the "Tourettes Guy". Although he has been diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome, his actions are influenced by other problems and are not consistent with most Tourette Syndrome sufferers. In exchange for a few laughs, please educate yourself about the reality of Tourettes and "corprolalia" by visiting our "Feel Guilty" page. A few of Danny's fans actually have TS, and would love to answer any questions you may have in the Forums.
The "Feel Guilty" page says:
Quote:
Although Danny's behaviour is influenced by anger issues and alcohol, he really has been diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome.
and encourages a donation to the Tourettes Association.

IMHO, they are still exploiting the stereotypical view of Tourettes, and I think it is damaging. As a parent and spouse of people with Tourettes, I resent the fact that this site makes fun of people with Tourettes, contributes to a culture of shame, and perpetuates a myth.

My son has had wonderful support through his diagnosis. In my experience, the current method of dealing with diagnosis is to be open about it, thereby removing the stigma. That's the road we have taken. We've watched some videos, joined the Association, and talk openly about it at home, when necessary. My son was courageous enough to read a book aloud to his class, about Tourettes, and to answer the kids many questions. Sometimes, I am in awe of him :-)

Even though I despise what the website is doing, I understand that the creators have every right to post that stuff. I do hope for the day, though, when the general public view this website with same abhorrance they would have for a site mocking those with Down's Syndrome or mental illness.
Old 16 May 2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyfsunctional View Post
Contrary to the popular image of Tourette's, it's more about physical and verbal tics (and sometimes compulsory behavior) than it is about randomly blurting out curse words. Many, many people with Tourette's never use foul language. This guy is acting out the Tourette's stereotype, and doing it pretty poorly.

Watch the video at the drive-through (yeah, I said through, not thru!). The voice of the guy in the store is way too well-recorded to be real. It sounds like someone in the car talking into a coffee cup.
I thought I read somewhere on that site that the voice of Tourettes Guy son is dubbed. We never see his face (or TG's ex wife either). They really want to remain anonymous.
Like I said before he may have Tourettes but he is exploiting way beyond then what he has.

The Bob Saget episode is hilarious but my favorite is when his son goes to a place for a job interview and brings dear old dad along. Even if TG is making it all up I do believe the reactions of those around him are real.
Old 16 May 2007, 06:20 PM

I've seen a few people with Tourettes and this guy doesn't seem legit to me.

Sounds to me like he's saying "Bob Saget" as a reaction to stuff, not involuntarily. Also when he calls about the toothpaste I find it odd the song starts at the beginning instead of catching it in the middle. While possible, it's a bit convenient. As is his ex-wife stopping by "unexpectedly" then going to open the bathroom door even though he's taking a shower

Not an expert but I'd question if this guy's even seen someone with Tourettes because his imitations are pretty bad from what I've seen.

Just look like an anti-social jackass to me.
Old 16 May 2007, 06:53 PM

Whenever I tell someone I have tourette's they almost always ask, "is that the swearing disease?" I hardly ever swear. Most of my symptoms include movements and sounds and some impulsive behavior which are controlled but medication. I agree, he may have tourette's but I think he's exagerating a bit.
Old 16 May 2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman977 View Post
Whenever I tell someone I have tourette's they almost always ask, "is that the swearing disease?" I hardly ever swear. Most of my symptoms include movements and sounds and some impulsive behavior which are controlled but medication. I agree, he may have tourette's but I think he's exagerating a bit.
I know what you mean. If someone likes to lace their talk with profanities people will say they have 'Tourettes'. Like OCD. Someone is a neat freak or doesn't like germs they are labeld as OCD or Monk. The cleanliness aspect/germ fearing is a small aspect of OCD just like corprolalia is to Tourettes. Yet this what the public thyinks of whenever they hear of these disorders.
Old 16 May 2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman977 View Post

Maybe I should watch again but I didn't notice any movement or sounds that looked involuntary. Everything looks intentional for the purpose of looking like a foul-mouthed, drunken guy claiming to have Tourettes.
Old 16 May 2007, 09:20 PM

He does do an awesome imitation of Chewbacca though.
Old 17 May 2007, 11:33 PM

Can I ask you a question Zman??

A couple of years ago, I did a job interview where the applicant had (I think) Tourette's. One of her tics was that she made a small vocalization that made it sound like she was about to talk.

At first, I'd pause in my spiel, thinking she was about to ask a question...but after several pauses, I realized it was a tic and so I would just kept talking over it.

Would you find this ok?? Would you be ok with being asked about it??

I'm actually a little embarrassed...I didn't make the connection with Tourette's until after she left. During the interview, I thought she might have had a speed habit. (She was grinding her teeth and was fidgety.)

She wasn't hired...but it had nothing to do with that, her resume was seriously lacking, and she wasn't sure she could euthanize animals.
Old 27 May 2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse goddess View Post
Can I ask you a question Zman??

A couple of years ago, I did a job interview where the applicant had (I think) Tourette's. One of her tics was that she made a small vocalization that made it sound like she was about to talk.

At first, I'd pause in my spiel, thinking she was about to ask a question...but after several pauses, I realized it was a tic and so I would just kept talking over it.

Would you find this ok?? Would you be ok with being asked about it??

Yes, I would be OK with being asked about it. I've always told people I would rather them ask then just make assumptions.

ETA sorry it took me so long to reply. I couldn't remember where the Tourette's guy thread was located.
Old 27 May 2007, 01:48 PM

I worked with a really nice guy, a welder that has Tourette's.

After he left we all barked at each other because it was too quiet...

Poor guy, said he always lost at Hide and Seek when he was a kid...
Old 27 May 2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
I worked with a really nice guy, a welder that has Tourette's.

After he left we all barked at each other because it was too quiet...

Poor guy, said he always lost at Hide and Seek when he was a kid...
Let's see:
This is a poem?
An injoke?
A reference to a film?
Hambubba attempting to be funny?
Old 27 May 2007, 03:43 PM

LTAAH? I don't get it.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebobo View Post
Let's see:
This is a poem?
An injoke?
A reference to a film?
Hambubba attempting to be funny?
It is oddly poetic... oh great. Now I have songbunnies. I'm meant to be revising!
Old 12 August 2007, 06:16 AM
clreimers

from http://tourettesguy.com/:

August 4, 2007

A couple of days ago we received some terrible news about Danny. Late last week Danny passed away.

About a month ago Danny was involved in a bad car accident. He had been out of the hospital for a couple of days staying with a friend when he suffered some medical complications. He unexpectedly passed away in the night.

We here at TourettesGUY.com are deeply saddened by this news as we love Danny. The reality of Danny's death hasn't sunk in yet, even a few days later. It is our burden to share this news with you - the millions of fans who also love Danny.

In about a week we will be putting the videos back up. We thought about taking the site down for good, but Danny's videos are already all over the internet and we felt that we could do some good with the site. We will be releasing all the videos along with one last new video in a high quality DVD format in memory of Danny. This DVD will be free to download, but you will also be able to purchase a physical copy. All proceeds from the DVD will go to Danny's family.

When the site is completely back up, we will have a service enabling you to send your condolences. We would also like to hear how Danny has positively influenced your life. Please be respectful, and send your letters to letters@tourettesguy.com. Shortly, we will be posting a letter from the person who discovered Danny.

We will miss you Danny!!! May you finally rest in peace.

The Big Admin.
Old 15 March 2014, 10:00 AM

Default Not Dead

I had enjoyed his comedy back when it was first around and only recently decided to look him up again. I discovered his videos are all on Youtube and he is not dead, as per the Tourette's Guy Wiki. He had more videos from 2010 to 2012, which are also on Youtube.

The Wiki says he lives in Columbus, OH which helps me to almost 100% confirm I had run into him once. I live in Cincinnati, and one year I was donating blood at a local Hoxworth. One of the guys working there looked exactly like Danny, if it wasn't him it was his twin who just happened to also be named Danny. That's what his name tag said. I said hi to him in passing and he just kind of nodded. He seemed to be grumpy, but that was it. No yelling, no cursing, no neck brace. Just a regular, albeit grumpy, guy.