snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 19 September 2013, 04:40 PM

Cheer 10 Book Deal for Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett, the best-selling fantasy author, has struck a 10-book deal with Doubleday and Anchor Books.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/16/bo...pratchett.html
Old 19 September 2013, 05:02 PM

Glasses

I really hope that we Pratchett fans have cause for optimism. I love his books.

The first book of the 10 book deal is to be called "Raising Steam". I will read it, no matter the topic, but I'd be happy if it was about railroads and trains. Imagine the comedic possibilities!
Old 19 September 2013, 05:11 PM

Hmm... I kind of have mixed feelings since I was hoping he would retire gracefully before his illness became too apparent... but perhaps it is good news on the health front and his Alzheimer's isn't developing as rapidly as feared?

He's already started one new series which looks like it could go on a while - the Long Earth series - but that's a collaboration with Stephen Baxter based on Pratchett's original idea that he didn't have time to develop. I had assumed it was a collaboration so that Pratchett could contribute the ideas while he was still able, and then Baxter could take over or do most of the writing beyond that. It seemed a reasonable long-term plan.

I hope he manages to get through them all without his health deteriorating too much. He seems to be maintaining his work rate, or even speeding up now that he's apparently dictating his work, so maybe it won't take him very long to get through ten books. He's always been quite prolific.
Old 19 September 2013, 06:08 PM

Theme Icon

I think the atrophy has mostly been in Pratchett's occipital lobe, affecting his visual perception and coordination. IIRC, he's so far been doing pretty well with cognitive function. I know Jack Vance's Cadwal Chronicles are reputed to decline in quality once he started going blind midway through the series but I finished Ecce and Old Earth awhile back and still found it enjoyable.
Old 19 September 2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
I really hope that we Pratchett fans have cause for optimism. I love his books.

The first book of the 10 book deal is to be called "Raising Steam". I will read it, no matter the topic, but I'd be happy if it was about railroads and trains. Imagine the comedic possibilities!
You're going to be a happy bunny!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_Steam
Old 19 September 2013, 09:00 PM

Glasses

*does happy bunny dance*

Trains and Moist von Lipwig.... should be a funny ride. Thanks Pinecone for the link!
Old 20 September 2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
*does happy bunny dance*

Trains and Moist von Lipwig.... should be a funny ride. Thanks Pinecone for the link!
Seconded!
Old 23 September 2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure the Blues View Post
I think the atrophy has mostly been in Pratchett's occipital lobe, affecting his visual perception and coordination. IIRC, he's so far been doing pretty well with cognitive function. I know Jack Vance's Cadwal Chronicles are reputed to decline in quality once he started going blind midway through the series but I finished Ecce and Old Earth awhile back and still found it enjoyable.
I get so damn aggravated by people who say things like 'I didn't like the previous Discworld book. I think it shows that Terry Pratchett's health is declining'. No, all it means is that people have different tastes even within one fandom. For his later novels to be evidence of declining health, it would have to be widely agreed that they're of a lower quality than earlier ones. His more recent books have been some of my favourites, and in my opinion some of the most mature and introspective. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Old 24 September 2013, 08:45 PM

From TP's Twitter stream today
Quote:
“@terryandrob: The rumour of my ten book deal have been greatly exaggerated...”
Quote:
@terryandrob: The majority have already been published in the UK...
Quote:
@terryandrob: The spin is, I am sorry to say, nothing more than PR.
Old 24 September 2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I get so damn aggravated by people who say things like 'I didn't like the previous Discworld book. I think it shows that Terry Pratchett's health is declining'.
It's certainly easy to do, isn't it? When I first read this thread, I thought "Oh dear, I hope that making dubious contractual decisions isn't a symptom of his illness"...

At least it looks as though there were, in fact, no dubious contractual decisions.