snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 24 August 2013, 06:54 PM

Blow Your Top Woman threatens child with gun

Comment: a picture just turned up on my Facebook of a woman pointing a gun, don't know if it's fake, at the head of a toddler she has swaddled in a towel in her arm. don't know if anyone else has asked about this or not so thought I would.

Old 24 August 2013, 07:14 PM

I've read news stories of people doing stuff like that with real guns, taking pictures of themselves in poses like that. I believe around New Year's Eve 2012, some people were doing that in Phoenix and one of them was unintentionally shot and killed.
Old 24 August 2013, 08:45 PM

Given how small and non-shiny that gun is, my first guess would be that it's a fake, but I can't tell with any certainty.
Old 31 August 2013, 09:51 AM

I'm also thinking(hoping) it's a fake gun. And if it is real I would hope it isn't loaded. But should she be pointing even a fake gun at the baby anyway? I have four nieces and four nephews and have never had the urge to pose for such a picture. I would not want to put out the message that I want to shoot anyone, let alone a kid and one I am related to. How awful. I mean, people should just think for a moment before doing things like this.
Old 31 August 2013, 11:11 AM

The gun is almost certainly a fake. The mother is almost certainly an idiot.
Old 31 August 2013, 06:12 PM

I think it's probably a water pistol. The baby is wet: were they playing outside? Were they playing with the gun in the tub? It is also a really bad decision on mom's part and on the part of whomever took the picture. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 31 August 2013, 11:15 PM

I don't see any indication that the older girl in the photo is the younger girl's mom. She actually looks quite young - maybe even prepubescent. (Her chest is still very flat.) Maybe that's mom at the sink behind them?
Old 01 September 2013, 01:16 AM

Definitely not prepubescent, colors under the shirt say bra and lighting with arm up will hide small breasts. She also has hair on the her arms. Still she may or may not be mother, do way to tell from the picture.
Old 01 September 2013, 01:24 AM

Some updates to social media say she's from a neighborhood called Fuerte Apache in Buenos Aires, and that local authorities are looking for her.
Old 01 September 2013, 01:36 AM

It looks real to me, mostly for the same reason the above poster(sorry should have quoted) feels that it is not. The not shiny patina. It looks like an old single barrel Derringer to me. It probably isn't loaded, but still sickening. As would be a toy gun pointed at anyone, let alone a child.
Old 01 September 2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
It looks real to me, mostly for the same reason the above poster(sorry should have quoted) feels that it is not. The not shiny patina. It looks like an old single barrel Derringer to me. It probably isn't loaded, but still sickening. As would be a toy gun pointed at anyone, let alone a child.
No, not a Derringer. It's based on a revolver, and that is one of the things that make me sure it's fake. The revolver's cylinders are too small for any calibre, even .22. The gun has the distinct ejector rod under the barrel, typical of Smith and Wesson. (Colt tend to hide theirs in a covering). There is no space between the cylinders and the frame, which makes fake more likely.

Any yes, I was wrong to call her the mother. Now that I look again, she's too young to be.
Old 01 September 2013, 04:13 AM

Hmmm, I think it's quite possible that she is the mom. She appears old enough to be a young mom. It really is impossible to judge her age exactly from the small clues, but she is certainly old enough to have given birth two years ago or there abouts. However, I agree that it is unlikely.
Old 01 September 2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
No, not a Derringer. It's based on a revolver, and that is one of the things that make me sure it's fake. The revolver's cylinders are too small for any calibre, even .22. The gun has the distinct ejector rod under the barrel, typical of Smith and Wesson. (Colt tend to hide theirs in a covering). There is no space between the cylinders and the frame, which makes fake more likely.
While I think the gun fake, I have seen a .22 half the size of the one in the picture. It is a collects item my brother inherited from our grandfather. The biggest problem using it is that the .22 cartridges use required it to be a old black powder ones. It was a ladies pistol to only be used in emergency and I do mean emergency. I did not look like it would hold up to being fired to many times.
Old 01 September 2013, 08:01 AM

Pocket Revolver by Deringer

ETA- The pic isn't the exact model I meant, I just grabbed a pic from google, I will search for a pic of what I meant in the AM, I have also seen .22's much smaller.

There is also a Smith and Wesson pocket revolver that is nearly identical though so I may have ID'd it wrong either way.
Old 01 September 2013, 12:15 PM

Assuming that the gun is a fake, the young woman may simply be acting out the frustrations of moms everywhere. That is, (many? most?) parents, no matter how much they love their children, have, from time to time, wished for freedom and/or peace and quiet and/or a full night's sleep, etc. Some people like to mime their inner thoughts in a public way -- nowadays that means posting photos to the innertubes. Dumb, in poor taste, encouraging other idiots to use a real gun as a photo prop, yes, this woman is an idiot. But....

I remember a (musically) lovely lullaby called Baby-Rocking Medley (Rosalie Sorrels), which had such deep-felt sentiments that it was referred to as the hostile baby-rocking song. It was sung sweetly like a real lullaby to which a baby really could be rocked to sleep. But the words.... were great!
Old 01 September 2013, 01:23 PM

I am trying to understand the attitude that this would be so horrible if the gun were fake. I would absolutely agree if the gun were real but unloaded/disabled because you need to treat any actual gun as loaded and capable of firing. But if, say, the revolving barrel is nearly solid and is only capable of holding a circle of caps (I had realistic-looking toy gun like that as a child), it would only be capable of making a bang and a small flash - not even the wadding of a real gun's blank round would be fired. Like that, I see it as no different than playing swords or stabbing with a rubber knife. Such play serves to reinforce with a child the nature of playing pretend.
Old 01 September 2013, 02:30 PM

The elementary school that I graduated from (in the early 2000s decade) took "threats" extremely seriously, as even a stabbing motion with a pen, or a simple picking up of a snowball, could send you to the principal's office. That's not to say I completely agreed with that policy.

So I'd say the idea behind the backlash is that the woman may be expressing a "threat" to shoot the child. It's only one possible intention, and it doesn't seem like we have much context to determine exactly what the woman was trying to do.
Old 01 September 2013, 08:23 PM

It's not a real gun. Examine the 'construction' of the barrel. Looks like one piece of molded plastic.
Old 02 September 2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Definitely not prepubescent, colors under the shirt say bra and lighting with arm up will hide small breasts. She also has hair on the her arms. Still she may or may not be mother, do way to tell from the picture.
I've known some 10 year olds who had that much hair on their arms.
Old 02 September 2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I am trying to understand the attitude that this would be so horrible if the gun were fake....I see it as no different than playing swords or stabbing with a rubber knife. Such play serves to reinforce with a child the nature of playing pretend.
As a mother or babysitter, I've never pretended to stab or slash babies or toddlers, especially over their heads to an adult audience. I've had play sword fights with older kids, but no one looking on would have mistaken a photo of it as a threat.

The girl in that photo isn't playing with the child, she is playing with the camera. The child isn't involved in the make believe, and it would be just as creepy, IMO, if she were holding a rubber knife to her throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
I've known some 10 year olds who had that much hair on their arms.
Me too, but under their arms? She looks like she might shave her armpits.

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 02 September 2013 at 07:24 AM.