snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 16 June 2013, 02:09 AM

Default Character interpretation in the Volsunga Saga: Regin and Sigurd's relationship

My most recent writing project is a steampunk retelling of the Volsunga Saga set in the future, when the USA has been divided into different states, with the Northern/Midwest region becoming known as Vinland, and having a Norse-inspired culture. Sigurd is the son of a Swedish immigrant gangster named Sigmund Volsung, who was king of a large area of Vinland, and Hjordis, his much-younger wife. He's an orphan being raised by a dwarf, Regin, leader of a group of exiles and the youngest son of the king of Nidavellir. In my universe, the fantasy races are the results of genetic modification. So this long explanation leads to my question:

From my research into the Sigurd story including reading and rereading the Morris translation of the Volsunga Saga, I've discovered a lot of different interpretations of the Sigurd-Regin relationship. The most common interpretation seems to be that Regin didn't love Sigurd at all (taking into account the murder attempt) while I personally think he did and that the murder attempt was a result of him being tempted by the gold. That, in fact, is the interpretation I'm using.

What's everyone else's interpretation of this question? I'm assuming everyone has at least heard of Wagner's opera Siegfried .
Old 28 June 2013, 04:24 AM

Poetic Edda poem on Sigurd .