snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 14 June 2013, 11:32 PM

Theme Icon Nelson Mandela

Apparently at least one news source prematurely pushed the button to publish a report of his death. It has since been retracted, but it's flying around Facebook right now.
Old 14 June 2013, 11:57 PM

It's happened a couple of times - one of the TV channels here accidentally ran its pre-prepared post-death documentary, which annoyed a lot of people. And the rumours fly wildly on social media. It doesn't help that the public information is very limited - though I totally understand why the family doesn't publish medical details.
Old 15 June 2013, 02:42 AM

I thought I heard he was killed in a car crash years ago, and secretly replaced by Paul McCartney.
Old 15 June 2013, 02:46 AM

I saw a RIP status a few days ago and started googling. By the time I had info to prove the status wrong, it had been redacted.
Old 15 June 2013, 03:37 AM

Heavt breathing

I heard someplace (local news station?) that Mandela has had this lung problem since he was a political prisoner. I wonder if this current issue is because the initial problem was never treated? Yes, Mandela is in his 90s, but I can't help but wonder what if the issue had been treated in the first place instead of being allowed to fester?
Old 15 June 2013, 11:16 AM

He did have TB in 1988 (two years before his release) but he was treated in hospital. I suspect TB, even if treated, leaves the lungs weakened.
Old 15 June 2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htonl View Post
It's happened a couple of times - one of the TV channels here accidentally ran its pre-prepared post-death documentary, which annoyed a lot of people. And the rumours fly wildly on social media. It doesn't help that the public information is very limited - though I totally understand why the family doesn't publish medical details.
CNN accidentally published about a half dozen various public figure / celebrity obits to their website a few years back. (ETA: And ironically Nelson Mandela was among those reported that time as well, along with Dick Chaney, Fidel Castro, and the at the time still living Ronald Reagan, Pope John Paul II, Bob Hope, and Gerald Ford.*)

As morbid as it sounds I can't totally fault news agencies for having ready to go templates already written up for older notable figures so when the event does occur all they have to do is fill in the needed blanks so they have at least "Breaking News" bulletin ready to go, but they need to be really careful about not accidently releasing them as they have done on several occasions.

*http://www.snopes.com/humor/mediagoofs/cnnobits.asp

Last edited by JoeBentley; 15 June 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 15 June 2013, 12:18 PM

Heavt breathing

Quote:
He did have TB in 1988 (two years before his release) but he was treated in hospital. I suspect TB, even if treated, leaves the lungs weakened.
Oh, I didn't know that. Makes sense that that crud would come back to haunt him. Thanks for the info.
Old 15 June 2013, 12:42 PM

Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
As morbid as it sounds I can't totally fault news agencies for having ready to go templates already written up for older notable figures so when the event does occur all they have to do is fill in the needed blanks so they have at least "Breaking News" bulletin ready to go ...
All the newspapers I've worked at over the years did exactly this, because the day a major figure dies, the newsroom would be busy with a whole lot of reaction stories to the person's death. There's no time to write a 3,000 word obit.
Old 15 June 2013, 12:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkhwiuRbOEE Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 15 June 2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Unless it was caught very early, the TB would leave scar tissue in the lungs leaving them working at sub optimum performance.
Old 25 June 2013, 07:15 PM

No

Another premature RIP is doing the Facebook rounds this afternoon.
Old 25 June 2013, 10:28 PM

From the meagre bits of information we're getting, it doesn't sound good at this point. Mandela's family and abaThembu chiefs gathered at the family homestead, and there's been a burst of visitors at the hospital.