snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 24 May 2013, 03:03 AM

And people who ask questions for no good reason other than to answer it themselves in posts? Yeah, hate that.
Old 24 May 2013, 08:31 AM

Or who write a question without a question mark.
Is this the right street. Are we going to get dinner afterwards. Can you fish my hat out of the sandpit.

Cumulatively, the effect of reading that is like being interrogated by an angry robot reading avant-garde poetry at you.
Old 24 May 2013, 02:32 PM

Someone posted on Facebook a picture of the ingredients label of a major brand, soy based, baby formula with the message "Sorry, does this scare you? These are the ingredients found in similac baby formula. 83% sugar and oil... and this is ok?"

Yes. This is ok. Sugars and fats, along with proteins, are called "food." Sugars and fats and proteins and "chemicals" that you see listed on the back of the Similac can are nearly the same as the ones listed on the organic baby formula brand that one commenter said was the only safe brand. Don't scream "read the labels" and then promote a product that has a label almost identical, with the addition of the word "organic" before all the oils and sugars.
Old 24 May 2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
Someone posted on Facebook a picture of the ingredients label of a major brand, soy based, baby formula with the message "Sorry, does this scare you? These are the ingredients found in similac baby formula. 83% sugar and oil... and this is ok?"

Yes. This is ok. Sugars and fats, along with proteins, are called "food." Sugars and fats and proteins and "chemicals" that you see listed on the back of the Similac can are nearly the same as the ones listed on the organic baby formula brand that one commenter said was the only safe brand. Don't scream "read the labels" and then promote a product that has a label almost identical, with the addition of the word "organic" before all the oils and sugars.
It would be interesting to list the non-water ingredients of human milk as though it was an ingredients label as the commercial formulas have to provide. I am sure there would be a great deal of similarity (though the fats would be different ones than with a vegetable-based formula). I am also certain lots of people would be shocked at seeing all the chemicals when you analyze it and break the info down that way.
Old 24 May 2013, 02:57 PM

Funny you should mention that. I couldn't find a complete chemical breakdown of breastmilk ingredients. But Baby's Only organic formula has a handy PDF on the left hand side of this page that gives the nutritional comparisons between the various formulas and breast milk. (Choose the Nutritional Comparison link)
Old 24 May 2013, 03:04 PM

Odd how all the formulas are so much lower on the fats than breast milk is - babies need the fat! It is high energy and it is used as a building block for the nerve sheath and in other critical bodily functions, particularly in a body that really is still developing rapidly.
Old 24 May 2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:

My daughter and her friends are in the having babies stage of life right now and are incredibly judgemental of bottle feeding. I've heard from a number of them how evil formula is - but they don't just stop at formula. Baby cereals and pretty much any kind of processed baby food is also on their hit list. According to them it's hard to believe any of them lived to grow up considering how they were fed as babies.
Old 24 May 2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Odd how all the formulas are so much lower on the fats than breast milk is - babies need the fat! It is high energy and it is used as a building block for the nerve sheath and in other critical bodily functions, particularly in a body that really is still developing rapidly.
That can't be! Fat and sugar are BAD for you!

Oh, and my other LTTAM is that when I posted arguments against their stupid, scary meme, nobody has come back to call me an idiot or anything. Kind of pissing me off.
Old 24 May 2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Oh, and my other LTTAM is that when I posted arguments against their stupid, scary meme, nobody has come back to call me an idiot or anything. Kind of pissing me off.
It's like they are patting you benignly on the head and saying amongst themselves 'there goes Spam again - bless her heart'.

Oh, I found the below link with the ingredients of both a formula and human milk. It has a few quirks, but it very effectively makes 2 points - that if you call the stuff in human milk by chemical names, they seem just as scary, and there is a whole heck of a lot in human milk that the formulas do not have, for whatever reason (I will assume that generally there is a danged good reason for those things to be there).

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 24 May 2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 24 May 2013, 03:32 PM

Nah, that's just my snopester friends, when I post my pro-gun stuff.
Old 24 May 2013, 03:44 PM

Word keeps crashing on me. It is particularly likely to crash when I am working with documents I've opened from an email, and/or when I try to create a comment. Since an important part of my job is reviewing documents, and since I generally receive those documents via email, that's a problem.
Old 24 May 2013, 04:32 PM

We had a planned power outage this morning from 4:30 to 6:30. Now we have two unplanned blown fuses (2/3 phases) and so we are without a washer until Tuesday.

Fortunately I've managed to keep on top of the laundry, but now Tuesday will be waiting for the electrician day.
Old 24 May 2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding Crawl View Post
Or who write a question without a question mark... the effect of reading that is like being interrogated by an angry robot...
... or Daria.
Old 24 May 2013, 10:07 PM

Being added to a FB group without being asked, especially one I have no interest in and have made that very clear.

ETA: Bonus anger that the "keep this person from re adding you to group" option does not work as it should, and I have now been re added to this group 4 times!!!

Last edited by LadyLockeout; 24 May 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 25 May 2013, 09:54 PM

I lost the book that I was reading, and my nice new leather bookmark. I had to read my backup book and do crosswords instead! And now I'll have to buy another copy of the book to finish it, and I won't be able to do that until tomorrow at the earliest. Bah!
Old 25 May 2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Now we have two unplanned blown fuses (2/3 phases)...
Do you have three-phase power in your house?
Old 26 May 2013, 04:38 AM

Theme Icon

We are going to have a butterfly garden at school. Well, to be a bit more precise, I am going to have a butterfly garden at school.
In order for this to happen, I had to take part of an area that was happily growing decades old well established grass, figure out where I could put it so that the mowers could avoid it, dig it up (which was surprisingly hard because of the grass and dandelions), dig out some of the poor soil, then replace it with 7 bags of Black Earth. I can't even mulch it because I'm going to have seedlings there (the packages say I can plant outside after all danger of frost has passed) in addition to the few things I have started in pots (like milkweed which is an ASAP kind of thing.)
So the schedule went like this:
Thursday release and after school: Dig out garden until 7:00.
Friday: Dig out garden on release and then go to gym. (which was fun )
Saturday: Spend all day discussing the future of a possible educational software 100 km from home and then come back. Finish digging. Put the 2 bags I was told I needed in garden. Go back and buy 5 more bags. Put hole in bag and have to get lady to tape it shut (because I didn't want the next person to discover it by grabbing bag so I bought it) Put them in.

Now I just have to get the kids to plant the seeds and hope that when I get there on Monday some ass hasn't scooped it all out and applied it to their garden. There were people watching me, I could feel it. We don't live in the best part of town for this sort of thing, which is why it's my butterfly garden and not some big project.

In case you're wondering why this is in TTAY, what I am doing is important for the class and for Monarchs (sure, other butterflies too), but the amount of effort that went into just digging it is disheartening to me, especially when I discover that I will have to transport water from my home to water it over the summer because the taps outside need a special key and are so hard to shut off that I might leave them dripping. I'm not afraid of long-term commitment on this but the last thing I need this time of the year is another project that consumes too much of my time. I want this to be a learning experience for the kids.

And doing all this digging with a back issue isn't exactly smart. I had another teacher interested but he didn't want to even start for at least another 2 weeks. That gives him 2 weeks to get something out of it, which seems chancy to me.
Old 26 May 2013, 12:01 PM

Yes digging is hard work! People who haven't dug before don't realize how heavy earth can be. And it's best if you go sloooowww. The earth has been there for a long time. You can't move it too fast.

On the plus side, its whole body exercise, so think of it as strengthening your core, arms, shoulders and legs. I swear if I had time I would dig for an hour everyday. Maybe, if I were in shape, I would start an exercise routine. i can call it rock hard/brick house.
Old 26 May 2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
I swear if I had time I would dig for an hour everyday.
I had a crazy great-uncle that did that. Not for exercise, just because he was nutty.

Come to think of it, he lived until he was 95.
Old 26 May 2013, 03:27 PM

It wasn't even the heaviness (though you are right about that), it was tearing through the grass and separating it enough to take a clump off. Once the grass was gone it was much easier.
I had to get permission from the principal and custodian to be on school grounds on the weekend (mostly so if someone called them about someone digging they could confirm it was staff), and the custodian pointed out that if I got injured there would be an issue.
Since digging out large areas of ground isn't really within the scope of my duties I don't think it would matter when I did it. It would still be an issue.
Closed Thread