snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 28 April 2013, 05:18 PM

Icon09 ‘Shy bladder’ syndrome leads to lawsuit

A would-be administrator who failed a job-related drug test due to anxiety over giving a urine sample has sued Iowa Methodist Medical Center for failing to make a reasonable accommodation to her alleged disability.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/fre...isability.html
Old 28 April 2013, 07:13 PM

Someone in the comments section actually makes sense. Since she actually is diagnosed with shy bladder thing wouldn't it be a reasonable accommodation for the employer to do a blood sample instead? Even if that costs a bit more money, so does installing ramps, platform lifts and wider doors under the ADA.
Old 28 April 2013, 07:21 PM

Even easier, how about allowing her to have a recording of running water to play in the bathroom, and a little more time between intrusive knocks?

Why does there need to be any knocking at all? It's not like she could have escaped through a window.
Old 29 April 2013, 09:28 AM

Lucky she's not an athlete. Sports drug testers are required to be in view of the athlete from the time they are told that a sample is required until a sample is given. An Australian footballer told a story of ASADA testers arriving at his house late in the evening and he replied that he had just been to the toilet and was now going to bed. They were required to sit in his bedroom and wait for him to wake up before providing a sample. He said he was required to stand in front of the ASADA official, drop his pants to the floor and lift his shirt up to his chin whilst the official watched the sample being delivered.
Old 29 April 2013, 02:06 PM

I understand drug testing pro athletes and those involved in public safety like public transportation drivers but an 'organ transplant financial coordinator'? I guess it's supposed to be comforting to know that a hospital bureaucrat is drug free.
Old 29 April 2013, 02:09 PM

I've worked for corporations that did random drug testing of every single employee, including admin assistants, buyers, customer service reps, etc. etc. It's ridiculous, IMO, but it happens, although I think corporations may be moving away from it.

A co-worker's mother was threatened with firing for refusing a random drug test when she was working as a billboard ad sales rep.
Old 04 May 2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Lucky she's not an athlete.
Here in the US it's the same for people who are on probation for drug/alcohol offenses. I knew a woman who was a probation officer and she told me that they had busted several people using this device (warning, the link is not safe for work)

http://www.thewhizzinator.com/whizzinator.html

when trying to pass a urine test. Given that for men it even provides a fake penis to dispense the fake clean pee the only way to bust somebody using it is the pay more attention than I ever wanted to give to another person who is using the toilet.
Old 04 May 2013, 07:11 PM

It comes with its own urine!
Old 06 May 2013, 05:27 AM

I love the warning on the page:

Quote:
This product is not intended for any illegal purposes. Follow all state and federal laws when using this product.
Other than a few very specific fetishes, what legal purpose could someone want with a fake urine delivery system? Granted, I'd always heard it was a case of getting a drug-free volunteer/friend to sell/donate their real urine, and then using a pouch/tube device to make it look as if it was you producing the sample.
Old 06 May 2013, 03:12 PM

None. But putting that disclaimer theoretically protects them from legal repercussions. It is the same thing as some adult toy manufacturers selling their products as back or neck massagers in more repressive states.
Old 08 May 2013, 06:58 PM

Or those little astrology scrolls and similar products that are marked "for amusement purposes only." (I don't know about everywhere, but in California, apparently fortune-telling is considered fraud by definition.)

My favorite personal example was a little shop that used to be in Orange County that sold fake ID's of various types - state ID cards, press passes, corporate ID badges, etc. At the bottom of the ID card was a large notice: "For amusement only! Do not remove this part of the ID!" Amazingly, if you did cut off that part of the ID, it was then the exact size of an official ID.

(That shop did not stay in business very long....)