snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 15 April 2013, 07:58 AM

United Kingdom British papers show no mercy

Got this one earlier today from my glurge network. The only difference between the email and this web page is that the top cartoon was moved to the bottom and the following comment was added to the top.
Quote:
If it were not for the British and Canadian papers there would be no honest reporting of this regime
Otherwise, all the other comments are exactly the same.

I haven't had much of a chance to research it but I'll put the odds of these cartoons having a British or Canadian origin around 0%.

Brian

Last edited by BrianB; 15 April 2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Corrected the intro
Old 15 April 2013, 09:05 AM

I don't tend to read papers nowadays, but the font does not look like any I recognise as coming from a British paper. I am sure there would have been comments if any British paper published cartoons like that. In addition, British papers seem to quite like Obama. It is the far right wing politicians the papers don't like such as Sarah Palin and Mitt 'The Twit' Romney.
Old 15 April 2013, 09:10 AM

It's probably from this blog, unless someone felt compelled to directly copy its photoshoplifted style.
http://hopenchangecartoons.blogspot.jp/
It gives me a headache to browse them looking for these but it must be in there somewhere.
Old 15 April 2013, 12:19 PM

Also, every political cartoon in Britain* uses a one-panel format (excluding a few strips in Private Eye - but none of these are from there).

* That I am aware of
Old 15 April 2013, 12:25 PM

I'd also find it very unlikely that a British cartoon would talk about changes to Arizona border control, an issue that gets very little coverage in the UK.
Old 15 April 2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
It's probably from this blog, unless someone felt compelled to directly copy its photoshoplifted style.
It gives me a headache to browse them looking for these but it must be in there somewhere.
I feel like I need a shower after looking at that.
Old 15 April 2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
I'd also find it very unlikely that a British cartoon would talk about changes to Arizona border control, an issue that gets very little coverage in the UK.
Maybe not where you are, but round here they talk of nothing else but the signs at the Arizona border!

Oh, sorry, I was getting Arizona muddled up with Milton Keynes again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-22038868
Old 15 April 2013, 06:36 PM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
That's it! Thanks, ganzfield. I found all of the cartoons except for the illegal alien one:Unsurprisingly, the cartoons in version I got don't have the cartoon's name, the URL, the author's name, or the copyright. (I have no doubt that was deliberate.) I have no idea who decided to make them British. I imagine it was for the same reasons that those conservative American cartoons were falsely attributed to Australian authors in 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
Also, every political cartoon in Britain* uses a one-panel format (excluding a few strips in Private Eye - but none of these are from there).

* That I am aware of
Interesting! I'll keep that in mind next time I get one of these forwards. (Unfortunately, there will be a next time. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I am sure there would have been comments if any British paper published cartoons like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
That's what I find so fascinating about this and the earlier bogus Australian one. For some reason, these serial forwarders think non Americans are totally obsessed with American politics. In fact, it's the reason I was tipped off that it couldn't be non American in origin.

Brian

Last edited by BrianB; 15 April 2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Fixed one URL
Old 15 April 2013, 07:31 PM

I'm guessing the reason is that they believe in American Exceptionalism.
Old 15 April 2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I don't tend to read papers nowadays, but the font does not look like any I recognise as coming from a British paper. I am sure there would have been comments if any British paper published cartoons like that. In addition, British papers seem to quite like Obama. It is the far right wing politicians the papers don't like such as Sarah Palin and Mitt 'The Twit' Romney.
I thought there was one (Telegraph maybe?) that either didn't like Obama or had an Op-ed columnist that hated him(he was an American living in the UK IIRC who had something to do with previous admin).
Old 15 April 2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post

* That I am aware of
You aren't aware of Steve Bell?
Old 15 April 2013, 09:48 PM

British or American, the cartoonist for the second to the last strip needs to be reminded that we don't still live in the 1930's. It has a nice vintage look to it, but it really loses the points if the characters discuss current events while looking like Dick Tracy and Tess Trueheart (I'm not so sure that it isn't lifted from an older strip with just current speech bubbles inserted in.)
Old 15 April 2013, 09:53 PM

Bonsai Kitten

The style reminds me of Partially Clips. I wonder if that's intentional.
Old 15 April 2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Red View Post
British or American, the cartoonist for the second to the last strip needs to be reminded that we don't still live in the 1930's. It has a nice vintage look to it, but it really loses the points if the characters discuss current events while looking like Dick Tracy and Tess Trueheart (I'm not so sure that it isn't lifted from an older strip with just current speech bubbles inserted in.)
Actually they all look like they are from another time. The tv in the second one for example.

I reckon old strips with new speech bubbles and pictures of Obama inserted when needed....weird
Old 15 April 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moku View Post
You aren't aware of Steve Bell?
I was, but I'd only seem his single panel work. I'm not a regular Guardian reader, in my defence.
Old 16 April 2013, 01:51 PM

Witch

So this page falsely attributed the comics to the British press, with the intention of lauding the British press as a bastion of integrity?

Pick me up with a magnet, I'm feeling irony!
Old 16 April 2013, 02:09 PM

BringtheNoise,
Ha! Call that a defence? ;-)
Old 16 April 2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post

Pick me up with a magnet, I'm feeling irony!
Wandering off-topic for a moment so that I can thank Blatherskite for the big wide grin that this post has prompted ...
Old 20 April 2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
Unsurprisingly, the cartoons in version I got don't have the cartoon's name, the URL, the author's name, or the copyright. (I have no doubt that was deliberate.) I have no idea who decided to make them British. I imagine it was for the same reasons that those conservative American cartoons were falsely attributed to Australian authors in 2010.

Interesting! I'll keep that in mind next time I get one of these forwards. (Unfortunately, there will be a next time. )

That's what I find so fascinating about this and the earlier bogus Australian one. For some reason, these serial forwarders think non Americans are totally obsessed with American politics. In fact, it's the reason I was tipped off that it couldn't be non American in origin.

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'm guessing the reason is that they believe in American Exceptionalism.
Well, in Australia we are a bit more aware of US politics then you in America are aware of Australian politics (for obvious reasons).

But the vast majority of political critism/satire (left and right) is fimly aimed at our own politicians.
Old 20 April 2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Well, in Australia we are a bit more aware of US politics then you in America are aware of Australian politics (for obvious reasons).

But the vast majority of political critism/satire (left and right) is fimly aimed at our own politicians.
Same here. Who has time to slander foreign politicians when you have your own band of corrupt idiots to deal with?

Last edited by gopher; 20 April 2013 at 01:26 PM.