snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Language

Old 11 April 2013, 11:51 PM

Icon09 Target Sandals Mistakenly Named After Urine

Last week, Target came under fire for describing the color of one maxi dress as "dark heather gray" while calling the plus-size version "manatee gray." This week, they're caught with another product-naming problem: Their Mossimo brand "Orina" sandals.

While the store initially believed the word "Orina" to mean "peace" or "peaceful" in Russian, about a week ago they found out that it actually means "urine" in Spanish.

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/targe...210420441.html
Old 12 April 2013, 03:48 AM

The Russian word for peace is "Mir". Like the space station.
Old 12 April 2013, 11:44 AM

I never pay attention to the name of clothing colors or shoe styles unless I have to select it when ordering online. And then I really don't care what it's called. If it fits and I like it, they can call it caca for all I care.
Old 14 April 2013, 04:40 PM

Accidentally named their product after urine? I heard Nintendo had some problems with that, too.
Old 14 April 2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate kisses View Post
I never pay attention to the name of clothing colors or shoe styles unless I have to select it when ordering online. And then I really don't care what it's called. If it fits and I like it, they can call it caca for all I care.
I'm sure you're not alone in that, which is good news for Target, but I doubt you're in the majority, either.

I wouldn't necessarily not buy something because it had a weird name, but I'd laugh at the silly mistake, which is hardly the result retailers are looking for.
Old 15 April 2013, 03:22 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
The Russian word for peace is "Mir". Like the space station.
Mir (мир) means "The World" though it is sometimes translated as peace. Mirnyy (мирный) is probably the word they were referring to which is still not very close to Orina, though closer.
Old 15 April 2013, 03:38 AM

While it is probably not the case in this instance, there really is no reason a word or sound cannot mean one thing in one language and another in a different language. There are only so many sounds and sylables to go around, after all. I am sure there is some overlap, probably some of it humerous. Even within a language there are homophones; I am certain there are some between languages as well.
Old 15 April 2013, 04:10 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Mir (мир) means "The World" though it is sometimes translated as peace. Mirnyy (мирный) is probably the word they were referring to which is still not very close to Orina, though closer.
"War and Peace" - the book - is also translated as "Wojna i Mir". I do not know a "better" Russian word for "peace".

Mirnyy vs. Orina - the two works have the letters i, r, and n in common, but not even in the same order. It's not close - I call BS on it.