snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 07 May 2007, 07:23 AM

Hello Kitty Black cats not wanted?

We adopted 3 kittens at Christmas, and when I took them to the vet to be fixed, she said that she was glad we picked a solid black cat as they are the least likely to be adopted. I've since heard that repeated by several other people. A Google search shows this belief is widespread, but I haven't run across anything factual.

We also adopted a solid black cat approx. 16 years ago, and I never heard it then either.

Some sites claim the same is true for black dogs, or that black cats actually rank 2nd to black & white cats in unadoptability (is that a word?)(our other 2 kittens are black & white btw).

Has anyone else heard this and is anyone aware if it's true?
Old 07 May 2007, 09:38 AM
Lady Neeva

Well, if the 8 foster kittens and one momma cat I ended up with last year are an indication, here is the order of adoption:

Brown Tabby longhair male
Solid Grey shorthair male
Brown Tabby/Tortie longhair female
Dilute Tortie shorthair female
Brown Tabby/Tortie shorthair female
Tortie shorthair female
Black longhair male
Black longhair male
Black Tuxedo longhair adult female

On the other hand, the rescue still has an older brown tabby female who's going on two years in the rescue, having been passed over even in favor of the cat with the thyroid condition that needed either $1500 in surgery or $30 worth of pills a week for life. The only reason I can see why she's still there is because on her listing she's marked as "black tabby" instead of "brown tabby" or "grey tabby". While black tabby is more genetically accurate, most people call them brown or grey tabby.

On the other hand, black cats might be harder to adopt because it is the second most common color among domestic cats -- only brown tabby is more common, but people seem to prefer the aesthetic appeal of stripes.
Old 07 May 2007, 11:45 AM

Hello Kitty

Well there's the black cat urban legend.

My husband's cousin does not let her black cat outside around Halloween, because she's concerned about people taking the cat for pranks or whatever. Maybe potential cat adopters are thinking they'll need to protect a black cat from this sort of stuff, but not a white or grey or brown cat?
Old 07 May 2007, 11:57 AM
rebgirl420

As a owner of a black male cat (he's 17 years old) I find this hard to believe. Maybe some people still go by the old folklore that black cats are evil or bad luck but in this day and age I think that it probably is more of a personal preferance thing over anything else.
Old 07 May 2007, 12:30 PM

I had always wanted a black cat.

My sister adopted her cat from a shelter one of her friends volunteered at. Her cat was one of a litter that was dropped off. A few weeks later, she got an email from her friend saying that the brother of her cat was still there, and he is such a sweetie, but she was worried he'd never get adopted because he is black and has a wonky tail. My sister caved and took him in too. I told her I was jealous because I always wanted a black male cat, and the curly piggy tail made him extra special.

He's mine now

In his case, he was the only black cat in his litter, and hung around at the shelter a lot longer than the others. He is the most loving cat I've ever known, he loves everybody immediately, so I doubt it was his personality that was holding him back.
Old 07 May 2007, 01:33 PM
Doug4.7

Hello Kitty

Years ago, when I was still living with my parents, we had a wonderful black cat. He was the greatest.

Anyway, we had our gas heater go out and so we called the service company. They sent out a guy who walked into our house and our cat ran across in front of him (like our cat liked to do). The guy stopped, turned white as a sheet, started backing away, and mumbled, "A black cat... A BLACK cat....A BLACK CAT!....". He got back in his truck and drove away. We had to call the service company back and they sent another guy. This time we locked our cat in one of the bedrooms, just in case.

Even today, all one of us kids/parents have to do is start mumbling, "A black cat..." and we all start laughing.

The only way the cat was unlucky was to himself. My Dad smoked, but the cat died of lung cancer...
Old 07 May 2007, 03:27 PM
KittyBass

This is what our local cat rescue says also, and they say it also goes for black and white cats. I have two black cats, and I love them to pieces. (Salem and Sabrina) They were fathered by a black cat (now neutered) who lives in my garden. I always wanted a black cat, now I am blessed with 3. I also have 2 black and white, 2 tortoiseshells and one pure white cat.

The local cat charities won't take in black or black and whites any more because nobody wants them and aren't deemed to be adoptable, which is more or less how I ended up keeping them. However, when they got wind I had a pure white kitten they were all over me and wanted to put her up on their site for adoption right away-I told them to get stuffed.
Old 07 May 2007, 03:55 PM

I am really surprised at this. I would have thought that black cats would be the most popular, since as soon as I heard that they were supposed to be unlucky, I wanted one immediately. Aren't other people like that?

A friend of my sister has a beautiful black and white Manx cat.
Old 07 May 2007, 03:59 PM

This could well be a UL. I have heard that some American animal welfare societies will not adopt black cats out in October, because they are afraid that they will be hurt or used in satanic rituals.
Come to think of it ... aren't the stories about people practising satanic rituals a bunch of ULs.

We've always wanted a big black or black and white male. Long hair optional. It's never quite worked out that way ... every time we had a cat die, or thought about getting a black cat, another cat, completely different would turn up. Result. Two tabby males, two black females.
And coming home oneday to find a very small black and white cat, little more than a kitten, sitting on our lawn. We tried to find his owners ... no luck. We didn't want him. Then it was, "okay, he can stay until the local cat rescue can take him in." Then, when they couldn't taken him right away "okay, we'll foster him until they can find a place." That quickly became "let's keep him."
He's turned the place upside down. We have to keep the toilet lid permanently down, because he likes to use it as a paddling pool. He's knocked over more water bowls than I can count, because he likes to splash about in them; the bags of dry cat food we have to hide because he's figured out how to get them open. Not to mention the birds, mice, butterflies and anything else that moves that he has brought inside. If there is mischief afoot, it's usually him that's responsible.
The trouble is, we can't stay mad at him for long ... we always end up laughing and shaking our heads.
Old 07 May 2007, 05:04 PM
KittyBass

There was this Irish guy who lived in town for the summer last year. My bf befriended him and he absolutely adored Sabrina. He said in Celtic mythology or someother that black cats with green eyes were the gate keepers to our souls. That may be a load of rubbish, but she was his favorite of my cats.

Sabrina

Salem

Old 07 May 2007, 05:45 PM
KittyBass

From what the cat rescue groups here have told me, the same applies for black and white cats also. They are considered to be inbred and too common and refuse to take them in also. One woman wrote a poem about unwanted black cats in our local animal newsletter. If I can find it, I'll post it here. I wasn't shocked to find out that black and whites were unwanted, was surprised to hear that black cats were out of fashion as well. That is unfortunate because most of the strays and ferals are just that. It's very rare I see a tabby around.

There are my two black and whites, Lubo and Lucy. Unfortunately, Lubo ran away last summer. I haven't given up searching for him though. (And that's Missy in the background)

Old 07 May 2007, 06:18 PM

I also have a black cat (used to have 2, but Jack ran away last year ) She's the most loving, in your lap, fat kitty I've ever been owned by. Once in a while on Halloween I wonder if I should let her sit in the window, but then I remember that our neighborhood is mostly older people who could care less.

She's a great helper with the laundry Her name, by the way? Mischief Maker, Missy for short.
Old 07 May 2007, 06:46 PM
KittyBass

I didn't realize until I started rescuing cats a few years back that certain colors were deemed unwanted. People who are that picky about having the 'perfect' cat don't deserve a loving pet. Mine may not be beautiful in other peoples' eys, for instance, my Missy has one eye bigger than the other, Lucy's legs are too short for her body, Whitey is totally blind and only has one eye remaining, but they are very special to me and have brought a lot of happiness into my life. There is a woman in town who is always buying purebed pets and I just want to tell her off. The dog and cat no-kill shelters here can't take any more strays in because they're totally filled up. Fortunately all the shelters here are no-kill, but what about the 'ugly' or disabled ones? They get left on the street because they can't even find homes for the 'cute' ones.
Old 07 May 2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBass View Post
~snip~Whitey is totally blind and only has one eye remaining, but they are very special to me and have brought a lot of happiness into my life. ~snip~
Fortunately all the shelters here are no-kill, but what about the 'ugly' or disabled ones? They get left on the street because they can't even find homes for the 'cute' ones.
[hijack]
I used to work at our local Humane Association, and we had a long haired tortie that need to have his eye removed due to an infection. I worked in the quarentine room (where the new additions came in for a week or so before being moved to the "cat room", where some of the cats who had surgeries recuperated, and oh yes, the ring worm cats. Seperated from the others, of course). I knew while I had him that he wouldn't last long in the cat room, because he was the biggest puff of purr and love there was. I was right, he was gone within 3 days.

I applaude you for adopting the less-than-cosmetically-pleasing-to-some-peoples-eyes, because I feel those cats really truely know how lucky they are.

[/hijack]
Old 07 May 2007, 07:05 PM
KittyBass

I know that the shelters are always full and the volunteers and foster families have their hands full, but they pretty much told me I was on their own when I told them I was looking after a family of 4 black kittens and the mommy cat. I even offered to continue fostering them until they found homes for them. I got passed around by two different charities and eventually I gave up. I found homes for 2 of them myself, but as time went on, I got so attached to Salem and Sabrina I decided that no one deserved them but me
Old 07 May 2007, 07:16 PM

I can definitely imagine that there are some people who wouldn't want to adopt certain cats because of their coloring, because if there's anything I'm sure of, it's that there are stupid people out in the world. Moving on...

We adopted our kitty Phoebe purely based on her personality. She was all alone in a cage at the MSPCA, and she immediately responded to me and my husband by coming up to the front of her cage and meowing when we went up to her. We took her into a room where we could get to know her one on one a bit better, and we instantly knew that she wanted to come home with us. Even in that high-stress environment she was immediately hopping up on her back paws to rub her head against our hands. She was a sweetheart from the get-go, had she been a black cat it wouldn't have made any difference. One would hope that anyone adopting a cat would go on the cat's personality, but of course there are people who go for looks instead: "But this kitty is so CUTE!"

Incidentally, Phoebe is half-brown-stripey, half white, with the cutest pink nose and pink toes. I'm not sure what that particular sort of coloring is called. She's mah sweet kitteh.
Old 07 May 2007, 07:36 PM
KittyBass

I can't seem to find the newsletter I mentioned with the article/poem about adopting black cats. I thought I had a spare copy of it. I sent the first one to my mother because the cat featured in the article looked so much like Jo-Jo I had to look about 10 times to make sure it wasn't him! I only found the follow-up issue with a writer commenting about the article.

Most of my cats have great personalities. I didn't set out to have so many cats but there is such a problem with ferals here that I can't say no to a cute little face!
Old 07 May 2007, 10:02 PM

My BIL adopted a ltitle black ball of fluff named Coco. Now he is a big very spoiled ball of fluff, who gets the best chicken treats, a mini fountain to drink out of (he prefers the faucet of course), his own pillows, his own chair on each floor and more toys than my dog. Coco, being coco, would give all of that up for a cuddle and a good scratch from my BIL.

ETA: Here is the litle munchkin, with his special pillow an his chair.

Last edited by inkrose115; 07 May 2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07 May 2007, 10:33 PM
KittyBass

Salem is an oddball and is afraid to come down the stairs and lives entirely in my room. I stopped trying to coax him down 2 years ago. My bedroom is a loft sort of thing with a little spare room (that's where his litterbox is) attached to it so he has plenty of room. I sometimes wonder if he's missing out on having fun in other parts of the house but the other cats come up play with him. He's very shy and obsessed with me. His sister, Sabrina is the exact opposite of him.

I often wonder what would happen if I could no longer care for my cats. All of them are rather quirky and very spoiled!
Old 07 May 2007, 10:40 PM

I would call Phoebe (the cat, not the most excellent poster of the same name) a Mackerel Tabby. Nice looking cat.

I don't currently have a cat becaue I am not home enough but I have been on very good terms with my father's cats (after they are done complaining that I didn't visit enough). Horace was a pure black Persian (sadly died of liver cancer) and Pipsqueak is a pure black shorthaired generic cat and in rude health. I like black a lot but black and white can be just as nice.

Blues