snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 07 May 2007, 07:11 AM

Icon402 Murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom

you did not hear this on the national news, the liberal press.
Clinton News Network wouldn't even touch this one.

OK, so let's create a level playing field here. I have not even heard of
this on CBS, ABC, NBC or any of the cable news services, even FOX NEWS! OR
in any of the Newsrags or other publications. Read this ane weep.

These 4 black male and one black female animals car-jacked, then raped
Christopher Newsom, cut off his penis, then set him on fire and fatally shot
him several times while they forced his girlfriend, Channon Christian, to
watch. An even more cruel fate awaited her! The victims were a white couple.

Channon Christian, was beaten and gang-raped in many ways for four days by
all of them, while they took turns urinating on her. Then they cut off her
breast and put chemicals in her mouth ... and then murdered her.

Dozens of New Charges in Double Murder Case Announced.

Posted: 5:05 PM Feb 1, 2007. Last Updated: 11:40 AM Feb 8, 2007.

Reporter: Whitney Daniel, WVLT Staff

Knoxville (WVLT) - The District Attorney General of Knox
County announced the list of charges facing now five suspects in the double
murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom.

The District Attorney General Randy Nichols is not saying whether or not he
will seek the death penalty, but he does say the State will seek conviction
for all charges filed in a 24-page indictment from the Knox County Grand
Jury.

Lemaricus Davidson, 25 , faces a total of 46 charges. Davidson was indicted
on 16 counts of Felony Murder growing out of rape, robbery kidnapping and
theft of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom, 2 counts premeditated murder of
Christian and Newsom, 2 counts especially aggravated robberies from
Christian and Newsom, 4 counts especially aggravated kidnapping of Christian
and Newsom, 20 counts aggravated rape of Christian and Newsom, and 2 counts
of theft from Christian and Newsom.

Letalvis Cobbins, 24, faces a total of 46 charges. Cobbins was indicted on
16 counts of Felony Murder growing out of rape,
robbery kidnapping and theft of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom, 2 counts
premeditated murder of Christian and Newsom, 2 counts especially aggravated
robberies from Christian and Newsom, 4 counts especially aggravated k!
idnappi ng of Christian and Newsom, 20 counts aggravated rape of Christian
and Newsom, and 2 counts of theft from Christian and Newsom.

George Thomas, 24 , faces a total of 46 charges. Thomas was indicted on 16
counts of Felony Murder growing out of rape, robbery kidnapping and theft of
Channon Christian and Chris Newsom, 2 counts premeditated murder of
Christian and Newsom, 2 counts especially aggravated robberies from
Christian and Newsom, 4 counts especially aggravated kidnapping of Christian
and Newsom, 20 counts aggravated rape of Christian and Newsom, and 2 counts
of theft from Christian and Newsom.

Just last night, police in Lebanon, Kentucky, arrested 18-year-old Vanessa
Coleman . She faces 40 Tennessee state charges. Coleman was indicted on 12
counts Felony Murder growing out of rape, robbery kidnapping and theft of
Channon Christian and Chris Newsom, 1 count Premeditated Murder of Christian
only, 1 count Especially Aggravated Robbery of Newsom only, 4 counts
especially aggravated kidnapping of Christia n and Newsom, 20 counts of
aggravated rape of Christian and Newsom and 2 Counts of theft from Christian
and Newsom.

Eric Boyd, 24 , also arrested in connection with the fatal carjacking, only
faces federal charges as an accessory after the fact. He was not indicted by
Knox county grand jury.

Felony Murder carries a possibility of death, life without the possibility
of parole and life with parole. Especially Aggravated Robbery is a Class A
felony that carries a possibility of 15 to 60 years in prison. Aggravated
Rape is a Class A felony that carries a possibility of 15 to 60 years of
prison.

At a news conference Thursday, Nichols commended the
cooperative efforts between several departments and credits that cooperation
for the fast pace this case is moving through the court system.

Nichols says he hopes to move the case to trial on thefirst day it's set.

The four are expected to make their first court appearance within ten to
fifteen days.

This is certainly a case garnering a lot of public interest, Nichols
recognizes that and says he expects all kinds of requests filed in this
case, including a change of venue in order to receive a fair trial. But he
says he does hope 12 Knox County jurors will be able to determine the guilt
or innocence of these suspects.

Where be the Revs Al and Jesse? Are they providing counsel and help to the
families of the victims?
Old 07 May 2007, 07:48 AM
Miss Mouse

Flame

I... I can't....
so much... anger....
cannot form.... coherent sentence....
Old 07 May 2007, 09:47 AM
songs78

People get killed all the time. Not all of the killings warrant a special Dateline episode.

The poster doesn't seem to know what felony murder is.
Old 07 May 2007, 10:24 AM

It is a horrifying tale. Surely the really disturbing thing is that the brutality alone is not enough to make it headline news across the USA?
Old 07 May 2007, 10:50 AM
Jonny T

I can't help but be amused that the OP mentions CBS as one of the stations which has refused to cover it, only to quote WVLT - anaffiliate of CBS.

the racist sub-text wasn't particularly helpful, to put it mildly.

here's some more info.
Old 07 May 2007, 11:17 AM
songs78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny T View Post
I can't help but be amused that the OP mentions CBS as one of the stations which has refused to cover it, only to quote WVLT - anaffiliate of CBS.

the racist sub-text wasn't particularly helpful, to put it mildly.

here's some more info.
The person was talking about national media. In the states there is local CBS news and national news.

Probably the reason why this got no press from the national media it is because before the people were arrested it was an ordinary homicide. Some people died from a car jacking. Tens of thousands of people died from homicides but unless there is a difference it won't make the nightly news.

Also the people according to the above statement are not charged with murder they are charged with felony murder which is different than intentional murder and that might be why national media doesn't pursue this case as seriously as other ones.
Old 07 May 2007, 03:16 PM

Icon02

Quote:
Clinton News Network wouldn't even touch this one.
Old 07 May 2007, 03:23 PM

Icon102

The grand jury indictment (in PDF form). Warning: not for the squeamish.

Last edited by Canuckistan; 07 May 2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: remove already given link.
Old 07 May 2007, 09:18 PM

This happened near where I grew up. I was looking for info on it in the local paper and came across Rally will protest black-against-white crime.

DoYC knows we wouldn't just want to protest against crime or murder or torture in general. I'm sure if anyone in my (white) family is ever murdered by a black person it will hurt so much worse than if the killer is white.

And the poor families of those two victims. Not like it could get much worse than losing a family member in such a manner, but now their names will be connected to kooky white supremicists.

snoozn
Old 07 May 2007, 11:39 PM

No

I'm really not understanding the entire Clinton News Network thing, but the entire Communist News Network comment made by Tom DeLay years ago makes even less sense to me. Link.

But that's besides the point--it is a rather gruesome crime, but there's been many crimes similar and worse than this that hasn't been picked up by the national media for one reason or another, be it good or bad. Maybe to the victims it's a small blessing in which they won't have to put up with more crap than they already have to deal with. But YMMV I suppose.
Old 08 May 2007, 02:11 PM
smirkdirk

I think Snopes response in the "What's New" section is a bit of a cop-out. Yes the e-mail is full of vindictive fury and misplaced outrage, but it does ask a worthy question in consideration of the crime; Was it racially motivated? Do racially motivated crimes where the victim is white get less press coverage than the reverse? If racially motivated crimes against a black person bring out all sorts of activists who claim such crimes are evidence of deep-seated racism in our culture that must be eliminated, what does the reverse say? Is there deep-seated racism within the black community against white people? If there is deep-seated racism against white people, is it white people's problem, or black people's problem?

On the matter of Snopes response that there could be no wide-spread press conspiracy to bury this particular case I have to agree. But perhaps also we don't have any answers to the aforementioned questions that national coverage might bring up, so to highlight it, with it's mega-violence, it's sexual details, it certainly is a salacious story would be pointless. Highlighting it will not answer any of these questions on a national level because perhaps we are not yet ready as a culture for this discussion.....?

I don't know, I just think that regardless of the e-mail's utter, shaking, immature hysteria, underlying it are some important questions.
Old 08 May 2007, 02:34 PM

Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smirkdirk View Post
I think Snopes response in the "What's New" section is a bit of a cop-out. Yes the e-mail is full of vindictive fury and misplaced outrage, but it does ask a worthy question in consideration of the crime; Was it racially motivated?
It doesn't ask that at all. It tells you it was, and that there's a conspiracy to suppress the story because of it. Which is patently absurd.

Quote:
Do racially motivated crimes where the victim is white get less press coverage than the reverse?
O.J. Simpson might disagree.

Quote:
If racially motivated crimes against a black person bring out all sorts of activists who claim such crimes are evidence of deep-seated racism in our culture that must be eliminated, what does the reverse say?
What does what reverse say? If this was a racially motivated crime, then charge the five with a hate crime. Bigotry is bigotry. But it hasn't been established yet that this had a racial basis.

Quote:
Is there deep-seated racism within the black community against white people? If there is deep-seated racism against white people, is it white people's problem, or black people's problem?
If there is, it's everyone's problem. But I don't think that there is.

Quote:
Highlighting it will not answer any of these questions on a national level because perhaps we are not yet ready as a culture for this discussion.....?
Which discussion would that be?

Quote:
I don't know, I just think that regardless of the e-mail's utter, shaking, immature hysteria, underlying it are some important questions.
Except there weren't questions in the e-mail. The e-mailer was telling you what to think, and that it was TEH EBIL CONSPEERACEE!11!!!!1!evil!!!!! snopes is simply pointing out why this conspiracy simply doesn't exist.

Unless you wanted snopes to answer your questions as illustrated above. Which was really beyond the scope of the article.
Old 08 May 2007, 02:44 PM

nitpick:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
O.J. Simpson might disagree.

But OJ Simpson isn't "black". He's a "celebrity". There's a word of difference where the media is concerned.
Old 08 May 2007, 02:51 PM
smirkdirk

I think although OJ's case was turned into a discourse on race, the underlying reason for the excessive press coverage was perhaps the fact that he is a famous former football player, Coke spokesman, and two-bit movie actor...

As far as the problem and discussion, a discussion about hate crimes and racism of blacks against whites,and as to who's problem it is? Well, of course, it's everyone's problem, but hate crimes against blacks, and white on black racism has a long history of discussion, from violent racism such as the James Byrd incident, to institutional and more subtle forms of racism. But your general information available about civil rights, always, and rightly so portrays blacks as victims. But that is the past, the era of Martin Luther King is 40 years ago. In that 40 years has racism evolved at all? I would think so.

I'm almost sure that in a discussion on violent reverse racism that some prominent black guy would come up with the proposition that white's brought it on themselves, propagated the reverse racism by the injustices done in the past. And you know what? To a certain extent, that argument may actually be legitimate.
Old 08 May 2007, 03:22 PM

Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smirkdirk View Post
I'm almost sure that in a discussion on violent reverse racism that some prominent black guy would come up with the proposition that white's brought it on themselves, propagated the reverse racism by the injustices done in the past. And you know what? To a certain extent, that argument may actually be legitimate.
I personally don't believe any racism is ever legitimate. Excused, maybe, and explainable, but never legitimate.

(General) You dont' answer hate with more hate; you answer it with less. Unless (g) your goal is to increase the hatred in the world, which I doubt is the goal of most people.

I still don't really see what this has to do with the OP; it has not been established that this was a racially motivated crime, nor that crimes committed by white people on blacks get more media attention than the reverse.
Old 08 May 2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songs78 View Post
Also the people according to the above statement are not charged with murder they are charged with felony murder which is different than intentional murder and that might be why national media doesn't pursue this case as seriously as other ones.
Actually, according to the Grand Jury Indictment, they were charged with murder, not just felony murder.

Quote:
FELONY MURDER, FIRST DEGREE MURDER, ESP. AGG. ROBBERY (COBBINS,
DAVIDSON, THOMAS ONLY), ESP. AGG. KIDNAPPING, AGG. RAPE AND THEFT
Quote:
On or
about the day of January, 2007, in the State and County. aforesaid; did unlawfully,
intentionally and with premeditation kill Hugh Christopher Newsom, in violation of T .C.A. 39- .
-13-202, and against ~e peace and dignity of the State of Tennessee..
Quote:
On or about the day of January, 2007, .in the I
State and County aforesaid, did unlawfully, intentionally and with premeditation kill Channon
Christian, in violation of T .C.A. 39-13-202, and against the peace and dignity of the State of
Tennessee.
I don't think the lack of national coverage is indicative of any racial bias. It's simply a function of what sells and what doesn't. This story didn't make national news because there are no famous people involved and neither the victims nor perpetrators are minors. Add in either of those factors and it would have made the front page in all the major markets. Sadly, these kinds of crimes happen. They just aren't "sexy" and so don't get coverage.
Old 08 May 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Where be the Revs Al and Jesse? Are they providing counsel and help to the
families of the victims?

Of course not - the victims were white.

Why hasn't this received National coverage by the news media like the Duke "rape" case?

Oh, that's right - the victims were white.
This was how the version I recevied ended. I find it absolutely laughable that the author (condescending as he is) actually believes that white murders don't get covered by the media! Name one "murder mystery" of a non-white person that the media has covered extensively in the last 20 years? It is usually pretty white women and girls. Sometimes I think pretty white females are the only people that disappear!
Old 08 May 2007, 10:28 PM
Miss Mouse

Shout

Sigh. I believed I'm composed enough to make some clear statements now.

First of all, the idea that people don't care about black-on-white crime is absurd. I can't even remember the last case I saw covered on national TV about black-on-black or white-on-black crime-- with the exception of the Duke rape case, which only seemed to garner attention because of the explicit race issues and the fact that it happened on a nice mainly-white, rich and prestigious college campus.
Isolated cases of murder rarely make national headlines anyway. Whites as victims are way more newsworthy, as far as I can see.

White victims always get far more coverage than black ones. How many of those "OMG MISSING CHILD EVERYONE FREAK OUT!!!!" news warnings are for black kids? Do African American children never get kidnapped or go missing...? Guess not! All the little school photos of blonde-haired blue-eyed beautiful children with "Amber Alert" plastered over them seem to be the only ones people care about. Minority families have tried to get the same coverage for years, but the national media and the American public at large just can't be bothered to care as much about non-white non-pretty children.

The outright idiotic bigotry in this message makes me want to scream. Some people who have an axe to grind will just look for anything that fits their idea of how the world is "working against them." Hello? You're the MAJORITY, the MAINSTREAM. Everybody cares about you, the system is set up BY you FOR you. Get the freak over yourself from thinking everyone's out to get you. That kind of paranoia should be reserved for schizophrenics.
Old 08 May 2007, 10:29 PM

The sad thing is the person who wrote the message in the OP has no idea how clueless they really are.

I always get annoyed when people start bleating on about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson whenever race is an issue. Maybe they're not involved in every single potentially racially motivated incident, ever?

I've been white my whole life, and I've never been discriminated against by black people, ever.
Old 09 May 2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
I always get annoyed when people start bleating on about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson whenever race is an issue. Maybe they're not involved in every single potentially racially motivated incident, ever?
To be honest, if you main exposure to the news comes from cable news staations, it would appear that Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton are in fact involved in every single potentially racially motivated incident, ever.

While this is untrue, it does seem that way, sometimes.