snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 09 May 2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Works as long as there are no loose dogs about.
Over here we have lidded wheelie bins to prevent beasties getting at your rubbish. (That seems to have escaped the notice of the "RATS WILL BE EVERYWHERE EATING YOUR BABIES!!" ranters. Can you tell I'm a bit jaded about the whole debate? )
Old 09 May 2007, 03:23 PM

Did you get the the "There'll be mold everywhere, and this is the picture of a brain of someone who died from mold infecting his brain" already?
Old 09 May 2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
Really? That's terrible. Anyone know what the situation's like here? Most people I know with children are cloth nappy devotees, but then they're all of the liberal hippie bent too
Wow! When we lived in England, I didn't think we knew any parents who used cloth nappies. But Mrs Fizz has just told me we did know such folk: they used a "nappy service" - they take away your dirty nappies and deliver clean ones to you apparently. Which is nice.

We use disposables for Baby Sherbet, but they go in this clever bin thing which wraps them into a string of nappy sausages, and which has some sort of built in deodorant. The contents of the bin go into the dumpster when it (the bin, that is) is full.
Old 09 May 2007, 03:35 PM

Icon97

Quote:
Really? That's terrible. Anyone know what the situation's like here? Most people I know with children are cloth nappy devotees, but then they're all of the liberal hippie bent too
Niehter of the 2 childminders I had for DD1 would accept cloth nappies and from what co-workers were saying neither did many day-care. Of course this was 7 years ago.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico
The seem to have forgotten about the possibility of putting the nappies in a plastic bag and making a knot in the end, too.

Don Enrico

You know, that's a bloody good point too!

Probably takes too much effort...
You can buy scented nappy bags in the Uk.
Old 09 May 2007, 05:10 PM
my2pence

[QUOTE=queen of the caramels;166944]Niehter of the 2 childminders I had for DD1 would accept cloth nappies and from what co-workers were saying neither did many day-care. Of course this was 7 years ago.

[QUOTE]

It was true for me when dd when to daycare 4 years ago. We used cloth diapers at home (even made all-in-ones ourselves).
Old 09 May 2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
and at least in the US, many daycares don't accept kids in cloth diapers.
I don't mean to draw out this tangent, but since others are talking about cloth nappies ...

Our day care does allow us to use cloth diapers, which actually surprised us a bit. It is family run, so that probably makes a difference. I can't imagine many day care centers do that. Not that I have any numbers, but i would agree based on what I've heard from other cloth-diapering parents that most day cares in the US do not.
Old 09 May 2007, 05:47 PM

When DS was but a wee bairn, we had a device to deal with disposable nappies. I can't remeber it's proper name - we called it "the bum machine."

Basically it looks like a small white plastic dalek. It holds a roll of scented plastic tubing. You open the lid, stuff the disposable nappy through a hole, then turn a dial type wotsit surrounding the hole to twist the plastic tubing. It holds about 20-30 nappies before it needs emptying, and you end up with something that looks like a string of sausages. No mess, no odour.

Kudos to all the cloth people, but putting the washing machine on fifteen times a day whilst tending to a mewling infant is quite frankly more than the human spirit can bear.
Old 09 May 2007, 05:54 PM

I used disposables for both of mine, who are now 27 and 30 years old. At the time, cloth diapers made them both break out in nasty rashes. The disposables cleared that up.

And I nursed because I was too lazy to use, sterilize and heat up bottles. My faucets kept things at a nice, even temperature.
Old 09 May 2007, 06:05 PM

We use cloth diapers and as others have mentioned our day care does not. They told me that was state law but that's not what the law says. Anyway, I chose other battles. (They said they were willing to do cloth last week when the DD had such terrible diaper rash but they never used the ones I brought.)

Eddie, you're supposed to have more than one cloth diaper. The most we had to wash was every other day when Little_Aud was a newborn. Now we wash them twice a week.

The nappy saugage maker thingy is called a Diaper Genie here in the us.
Old 09 May 2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltsbypam View Post
I used disposables for both of mine, who are now 27 and 30 years old. At the time, cloth diapers made them both break out in nasty rashes. The disposables cleared that up.
I think cloth ones must have improved now: a couple of my friends swapped because the disposables were giving terrible nappyrash and the cloth ones cleared it up!

My word. If my mother saw me participating in this kind of thread she'd have a heart attack - me, of all people, discussing nappies! Perhaps that is a hint to unhijack
Old 09 May 2007, 06:18 PM
The Masked Doodler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Basically it looks like a small white plastic dalek. It holds a roll of scented plastic tubing. You open the lid, stuff the disposable nappy through a hole, then turn a dial type wotsit surrounding the hole to twist the plastic tubing. It holds about 20-30 nappies before it needs emptying, and you end up with something that looks like a string of sausages. No mess, no odour.
Sounds like a diaper genie to me. We used that when mom was baby-sitting, very nice for three babies and few others with pull-ups.
Old 09 May 2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
Eddie, you're supposed to have more than one cloth diaper.
Well obviously we had two! One for the wash and one for him to wear in the meantime.

Seriously though, babies are basically crap and piss machines. It doesn't matter how many nappies you have, it will never be enough. Then of course you have that lovely bucket full of dirty nappies soaking in steriliser, waiting for the last wash to finish, so you can put on the next one.

Give me diaper genie!

ETA Thanks. We call ours a "Sangenic."

Last edited by Eddylizard; 09 May 2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09 May 2007, 06:29 PM

We never soaked her nappies in Sterilizer. ick. They'd go into a bag in a Diaper Champ and from that bag and all into the wash machine. If there's solid stool it get dumped in to the toilet. It addition to the cool snap diapers we also have some of the three fold ones that require pins but those are only for those days we get really behind on laundry.

Better than running to the store!

My we've gone far afield havn't we. lol

I really wish I could have avoided bottles of any kind but my physiology wouldn't cooperate.
Old 09 May 2007, 07:23 PM
Doug4.7

Icon202

Quote:
Then of course you have that lovely bucket full of dirty nappies soaking in steriliser, waiting for the last wash to finish, so you can put on the next one.
There was a comedian who used cloth diapers and remarked that it seemed odd to have his very own toxic waste site right in his home.
Old 10 May 2007, 10:28 AM
Tia

Our nursery will accept cloth nappies provided there's a waterproof bag to store them in. As I have a teenager still in nappies I don't use the cloth variety anymore - we stopped when it became a choice between cloth nappies and a larger wheelchair and other equipment.

The fortnightly rubbish collection bit worries me though. I'm happy to recycle as much as I can (and we have a decent recycling scheme here), but I couldn't keep a fortnight's worth of used adult incontinence products stored safely anywhere. Bad enough when two bank holidays mean a ten day gap. The same problem with other medical by-products, although again I can recycle most of them.

We have used biodegradeable nappies but they don't make them in larger sizes.

Getting back to the original post, we used plastic bottles. I'd be unhappy using glass ones especially once the baby was wanting to help hold it. We do avoid latex though.

Tia
Old 10 May 2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
When DS was but a wee bairn, we had a device to deal with disposable nappies. I can't remeber it's proper name - we called it "the bum machine."

That's exactly the device I was trying to describe in my post. I think it's called a "Sangenic", but from now on I shall definitely call it "the bum machine"
Old 10 May 2007, 12:39 PM
sparklygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
New parents across America are taking a second look at a playpen staple of the 1950s: glass baby bottles.

Replaced long ago in most U.S. households by unbreakable plastic, glass bottles are making a comeback prompted by worries about a chemical used in making the plastic.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...1,173636.story
If I remember correctly doctors and hospitals (mid 1990's) said to never warm and feed breast milk to a baby from a plastic bottle--only glass. When it came to formula they they didn't think it matter whether it was glass or plastic though.
Spraklygirl
Old 24 May 2007, 10:44 PM
Neffti

Quote:
In 2003/04 we used cloth nappies with DD until she started walking (and leaking poo everywhere causing massive cleanup operations). She didn't go to nursery in the end, but I did shop around for a nursery at one point and not one in my very large town would accept cloth nappies.

Also, while we were in hospital after the birth, it was disposables only, and even then you had to bag them and take them home yourself - I had to send DH home with a bag of poo every evening.
Old 14 September 2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklygirl View Post
If I remember correctly doctors and hospitals (mid 1990's) said to never warm and feed breast milk to a baby from a plastic bottle--only glass. When it came to formula they they didn't think it matter whether it was glass or plastic though.
Spraklygirl
This just started making the rounds on the Toronto News circuit.. apparently there is a run on glass baby bottles as 1.5 million moms abandon plastic and turn to glass.
Old 14 September 2007, 04:24 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
This just started making the rounds on the Toronto News circuit.. apparently there is a run on glass baby bottles as 1.5 million moms abandon plastic and turn to glass.

Are there really that many Moms in Tronto??