snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > We've Got Mail

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01 May 2007, 08:21 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,806
Icon401 If only you knew ... the rest of the story

Comment: its not luck. theres not really such thing as luck. i learned
that today.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01 May 2007, 08:22 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,806
Tantrum

Comment: TAKE ME OFF YOUR ****ING LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE PERSON THAT
SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR BULLSHIT WAS MY SON............. THATS
RIGHT................... WAS...........KEY WORD!!!!!!!!!!!! MY SON CAME
HOME TODAY IN 3 ****ING PIECES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEAVE ME THE ****
ALONE!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01 May 2007, 02:25 PM
Ieuan ab Arthur's Avatar
Ieuan ab Arthur Ieuan ab Arthur is offline
 
Join Date: 19 October 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,927
Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: TAKE ME OFF YOUR ****ING LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE PERSON THAT SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR BULLSHIT WAS MY SON............. THATS RIGHT................... WAS...........KEY WORD!!!!!!!!!!!! MY SON CAME HOME TODAY IN 3 ****ING PIECES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE!!!!!!!!!!
Well, since you ask so nice

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan ***,,,,,,*****!!!!!!!" ab Arthur
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09 August 2007, 07:25 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,806
Icon104

Comment: Why is Saying "XYZPDQ" banned in at least five American school
districts?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09 August 2007, 02:25 PM
Nonny Mouse's Avatar
Nonny Mouse Nonny Mouse is offline
 
Join Date: 30 April 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 14,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: TAKE ME OFF YOUR ****ING LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE PERSON THAT
SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR BULLSHIT WAS MY SON............. THATS
RIGHT................... WAS...........KEY WORD!!!!!!!!!!!! MY SON CAME
HOME TODAY IN 3 ****ING PIECES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEAVE ME THE ****
ALONE!!!!!!!!!!
To be perfectly fair, I think this guy has good reason to not be exactly rational right now.

Nonny
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09 August 2007, 02:33 PM
MidgardDragon's Avatar
MidgardDragon MidgardDragon is offline
 
Join Date: 13 January 2004
Location: Powell, TN
Posts: 6,764
Default

To be fair if he's overreacting that much to being signed up for a mailing list, I doubt he was ever rational in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09 August 2007, 04:21 PM
Canuckistan's Avatar
Canuckistan Canuckistan is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 30,122
Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: Why is Saying "XYZPDQ" banned in at least five American school districts?
Because when you say "XYZPDQ" really fast, it sounds like "Barbra Streisand."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09 August 2007, 04:59 PM
Spamamander's Avatar
Spamamander Spamamander is offline
 
Join Date: 01 January 2006
Location: Central WA
Posts: 4,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgardDragon View Post
To be fair if he's overreacting that much to being signed up for a mailing list, I doubt he was ever rational in the first place.
If he, in his grief, thought that somehow having mailings sent to him was "rubbing it in his face" that his son was dead (like a deliberate reminder) I could see this. Not how I would react, nor is it rational, but hell who knows what I might say if I lost one of my children.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25 August 2008, 05:35 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,806
Ponder

Comment: This is a real....... Oh SHIT !

His request approved, the Fox News photographer quickly used a cell
phone to call the local airport to charter a flight. He was told a twin engine
plane would be waiting for him at the airport.

Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a
hanger. He jumped in with his bag, slammed the door shut, and shouted, 'Let's go'.

The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind and took off. Once
in the air, the photographer instructed the pilot, 'Fly over the valley
and make low passes so I can take pictures of the fires on the hillsides.'

'Why?' asked the pilot.

'Because I'm a photographer for Fox Cable News,' he responded. 'And I
need to get some close up shots.'

The pilot was strangely silent for a moment, finally he stammered,
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25 August 2008, 06:03 AM
callee's Avatar
callee callee is offline
 
Join Date: 05 March 2004
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: This is a real....... Oh SHIT !

His request approved, the Fox News photographer quickly used a cell
phone to call the local airport to charter a flight. He was told a twin engine
plane would be waiting for him at the airport.

Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a
hanger. He jumped in with his bag, slammed the door shut, and shouted, 'Let's go'.

The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind and took off. Once
in the air, the photographer instructed the pilot, 'Fly over the valley
and make low passes so I can take pictures of the fires on the hillsides.'

'Why?' asked the pilot.

'Because I'm a photographer for Fox Cable News,' he responded. 'And I
need to get some close up shots.'

The pilot was strangely silent for a moment, finally he stammered,
It appears to be part of a joke,

example

Quote:
A photographer from a well-known national magazine was assigned to cover
Southern California's wildfires. The
magazine wanted pictures of the heroic work the fire fighters were doing
as they battled the blazes.

When the photographer arrived on the scene he realized that the smoke
was so thick that it would seriously impede, or even make impossible,
his obtaining good photographs from ground-level.

He requested permission from his boss to rent a plane and take photos
from the air. His request was approved, and via
a cell phone call to the local county airport, necessary arrangements
were made. He was told a single-engine plane
would be waiting for him at the airport.

He arrived at the airfield and spotted a plane warming up outside a
hangar. He jumped in with his bag, slammed the
door shut, and shouted, "Let's go!"

The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind, and roared down the
runway. Within just a minute or two of his arrival they were in the air.

The photographer requested the pilot to, "Fly over the valley and make
two or three low passes so I can take some
pictures of the fires on the hillsides."

"Why?" asked the pilot.

"Because I'm a photographer for a national magazine," he responded, "and
I need to get some close-up shots."

The pilot was strangely silent for a moment; finally he stammered, "So,
you're telling me you're not the flight instructor?"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25 August 2008, 06:14 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,806
Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by callee View Post
It appears to be part of a joke
One which is found on this page:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/question/requests.asp

- snopes
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 25 August 2008, 03:33 PM
callee's Avatar
callee callee is offline
 
Join Date: 05 March 2004
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
One which is found on this page:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/question/requests.asp

- snopes
wow, that page is dated 2005, yet it didn't come up in my google search for key phrases from the joke. snopes pages usually come near the top of google results.

ETA

looking back, I see that's because I searched for the phrase "Fly over the valley" whereas the one on the snopes page has been rephrased into the context of a canadian park, and has "fly over the park"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27 August 2008, 12:50 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,806
Icon204

Comment: I opened the UPS letter because two days before I HAD
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27 August 2008, 01:17 AM
AnglRdr's Avatar
AnglRdr AnglRdr is offline
 
Join Date: 06 June 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 50,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: I opened the UPS letter because two days before I HAD
a dream that Publishers' Clearing House would be sending me my award check via UPS instead of that minivan filled with balloons.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30 August 2008, 05:39 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,806
Yow!

Comment: I just thought you guys should hear about this:
I live in the Clark County area in WA and as I was driving to my relatives
house, a certain Round Table's Pizza sign caught my eye. The sign was the
one in the front that you can change by putting up different letters and
taking them down. The reason this sign caught my eyes so badly was because
it said, in big black letters, at a family restaurant:
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 30 August 2008, 05:39 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,806
Cheer

Quote:
The reason this sign caught my eyes so badly was because
it said, in big black letters, at a family restaurant:
NO CHILDREN ALLOWED!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30 August 2008, 06:29 PM
Eddylizard's Avatar
Eddylizard Eddylizard is offline
 
Join Date: 15 June 2006
Location: Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Posts: 17,859
Default

Quote:
The reason this sign caught my eyes so badly was because
I walked straight into one of the corners of the bugger. The doctors tell me they might be able to save the sight in my left eye.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12 December 2008, 03:45 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,806
Glasses

Comment: Nobel prize winning physicist professor Steven Chu of Berkeley
National Labratory is not an American citizen ,he has been chosen to be
Obamas secretary of energy .
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12 December 2008, 04:22 AM
Ana Ng's Avatar
Ana Ng Ana Ng is offline
 
Join Date: 16 August 2000
Location: Babylon, NY
Posts: 14,111
Default

I am hijacking this thread (sorry) to say that I love this background that is not appearing in any other thread. That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12 December 2008, 01:56 PM
babyshoes's Avatar
babyshoes babyshoes is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: Nobel prize winning physicist professor Steven Chu of Berkeley
National Labratory is not an American citizen ,he has been chosen to be
Obamas secretary of energy .
Wow. People born in St. Louis aren't U.S. citizens? Who knew?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.