snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 16 February 2012, 09:05 PM

Default Guidelines for Facebook censors

Claim:

Quote:
If it is not obvious, this is the FB image standards guide given to 3rd world outsourcers, paid at $1/hr for their services.

Old 16 February 2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
8. Digital/cartoon nudity. Art nudity OK.
Make up your mind.

~Psihala
Old 16 February 2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
10. Blatant (obvious) depiction of camel toes and moose knuckles.
Without even an explanation for the "third world" outsourcers (I assume the commentor means India?) as to what those things mean?

I'd never even heard the expression "moose knuckles" myself until then, and although I can guess it from the context of "camel toes" it's hardly obvious.

Why would Facebook care so much about offending Turkey in particular, too? (Unless the "third world" outsourcers are in Turkey? Neither India nor Turkey is a third-world country, but I don't suppose the commentor cares.)

If it was guidelines for a specifically Turkish site, why would it be written in colloquial English?
Old 16 February 2012, 11:07 PM

Icon13

I like how cartoon feces, urine, and spit are OK, and both real and cartoon snot is OK, but any depiction of ear wax is verboten.
Old 16 February 2012, 11:10 PM

The section on IP Blocks and International Compliance is awfully specific for Turkey.

Dropbear
Old 19 February 2012, 02:37 AM

If they are referring to India as a "third world country" --

My company pays the lowest paid resoruces in India around $1700 US a month.. which is around $14 an hour based on 120 hours a month.

I would say thats a damn fine wage for the work they do.. the same job out of MI is only paid $10 an hour.
Old 19 February 2012, 02:45 AM

Are you saying they only work 30 hours a week?
Old 19 February 2012, 08:26 AM

I assumed at first that they must have meant India, but from the thing itself, Turkey looks more likely. Not that Turkey is third-world either - it's more developed than most of India; it's pretty much got a European standard of living, although would be one of the poorer European countries if it ever gets into the EU.

(Mind you, the chances are the person who wrote the comment thinks Europe is the "third world" too...)
Old 19 February 2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Are you saying they only work 30 hours a week?
33.5 actually 5 8 hour shifts - 5 hours for lunch each shift and two 15 minute breaks at hours 2.5 and 6.5 for another reduction of 1.5 hours a week.

40-5-1.5=33.5*4=134 hours a month = $12.70 an hour.

I did say around.

and they are getting paid more than the Usa'ians who get paid $10 per hours.
Old 20 February 2012, 11:48 AM

They get 5 hours for lunch?
Old 20 February 2012, 11:50 AM

1 hr per day; 5 days per week.
Old 23 February 2012, 11:34 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't
Quote:
Any photoshopped images of people, whether negative, positive or neutral.
exclude all official pictures of celebreties as well as most other pictures made by a professional photographer (like the picture for your CV, or the family picture you got taken at Granny's 80th birthday)?
Old 23 February 2012, 02:00 PM

The colloquial use of "photoshopped" often means photo editing an image to the point of creating a false image rather than "touchup" work. Touchup work would be called airbrushing (or touch up).

Since they are using a brand name as a common verb, it isn't to hard to believe that they are using it vaguely as well.
Old 23 February 2012, 07:38 PM

Oddly, there's a BBC article about this which sort of implies it's real.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17133281

Quote:
Facebook's photo guidelines are 'revealed'

A set of guidelines on which types of images are acceptable for publication on Facebook has reportedly been leaked.

According to the Gawker.com website, the rules tell staff specifically what should and shouldn't be removed when content has been flagged.

Images likely to be removed include those showing "female nipple bulges", "naked butt cracks" or women breastfeeding without clothes on.

However, same sex kissing, "groping" and "foreplay" is allowed.
And so forth. Seems like the same list, although the BBC doesn't seem to have done a great deal more investigation than quoting the original list.

There's a quote from Facebook at the end, which pointedly doesn't actually say that these are their own guidelines, but which doesn't deny it either. It seems like a standard statement:

Quote:
Gawker.com said the document was leaked by a disgruntled employee at a third party company used by Facebook to moderate users' content.

In a statement Facebook said: "In an effort to quickly and efficiently process the millions of reports we receive every day, we have found it helpful to contract third parties to provide precursory classification of a small proportion of reported content.

"We have, and will continue, to escalate the most serious reports internally, and all decisions made by contractors are subject to extensive audits."
If it's a "real" leak then I'd say it was written by a Turkish third-party for their own purposes, but perhaps based partly on Facebook's own guidelines. Why a Turkish IT company would be writing guidelines for local employees in colloquial English, I couldn't say. Shoddier journalism than usual from the BBC, too. (Although Newsbeat is their 'Magazine' section).
Old 23 February 2012, 08:35 PM

Everybody's trying to get into this. Here's one from The Guardian too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-breastfeeding

Quote:
... I do want to emit a high-pitched whining noise about at least one item on this modern equivalent of the Papal Index. Because right there, sandwiched between "depiction of sexual assault or rape" and "bestiality, necrophilia and pedophilia" is "breastfeeding photos showing other nudity, or nipple clearly exposed".
I spotted it through the follow-up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...cebook-missing

Quote:
On Wednesday we published a comment piece about Facebook's recently leaked documents, which appear to reveal Facebook's image and post-approval system.
This does show why everybody "wants" it to be a real, official, Facebook policy document though - it's because Facebook does have this well-known ban on breastfeeding photos, which is absurd in itself. The fact that the original list is clearly not a straightforward list of official guidelines from Facebook is irrelevant, because it does include the breastfeeding image rule. So people just seize on that, and are glad that some of the rest is even more ridiculous, because it draws attention to the stupidity of the breastfeeding part.

(Actually the breastfeeding rule in the original image specifies "without clothes on," which may be less strict than Facebook's policy in practice...)

(eta) There are several different versions of the original list. The one at the top of this Gawker article is slightly different from the one in the OP. In particular, the breastfeeding rule is different:

http://gawker.com/5885836/facebook-r...-bodily-fluids

The documents come from a third-party contracting firm called oDesk.

https://www.odesk.com/

Last edited by Richard W; 23 February 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 23 February 2012, 09:17 PM

I wonder whether the 'third world' reference in the OP came from a misreading of 'Third Party'
Old 24 February 2012, 04:42 AM

Facebook uses oDesk? Now I really hate them. Both of them. They can charge whatever they want to non US countries that don't have minimum wage laws, and apparently they can do it to Americans too. I actually did a job for 2 weeks for $5/hour because I was desperate.