snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 21 December 2011, 04:25 PM

Default Ken Jennings trivia challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
1. What South African region takes its name from the fact that Vasco da Gama first sighted it on December 25, 1497?
Christmas Inlet or Bay or Island or something.
Quote:
2. What traditional holiday item often includes a succade made of citron?
Fruitcake
Quote:
3. In 1906, what American author wrote, "In a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest"?
O. Henry, Gift of the Magi.
Quote:
4. How many candles are there in a Kwanzaa kinara?
Quote:
5. Dr. Christmas Jones, a nuclear physicist who wears a D-cup, is a "Bond girl" from which 007 film?
From Russia With Love
Quote:
6. In the Roman calendar, December 25 was Brumalia. What's the scientific name for the occasion marked by Brumalia?
Winter Solstice
Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these works of art? Cassatt's Mother and Child, Degas's The Ballet Rehearsal, Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergere, Escher's Three Spheres, Fuseli's The Nightmare, Van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding, Velazquez's Las Meninas, Vermeer's Woman with a Pearl Necklace.
The artist appears in a reflection, if you look hard enough.

Seaboe
Old 27 December 2011, 08:09 AM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What South African region takes its name from the fact that Vasco da Gama first sighted it on December 25, 1497? This is the province of Natal, whose name ("birth") is the Portuguese word for Christmas.

2. What traditional holiday item often includes a succade made of citron? "Succade" is candied fruit--citron peel is often used to make those suspiciously radioactive-looking yellow and red and green chunks in your fruitcake.

3. In 1906, what American author wrote, "In a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest"? This is the penultimate line of "The Gift of the Magi," by O. Henry.

4. How many candles are there in a Kwanzaa kinara? Seven! Here's how to remember: "Kwanzaa" has one letter fewer than "Hanukkah." But then you half to remember how to spell Kwanzaa and Hanukkah without the extra 'C' and...

5. Dr. Christmas Jones, a nuclear physicist who wears a D-cup, is a "Bond girl" from which 007 film? She was played by Denise Richards (a real life nuclear physicist!) in The World Is Not Enough. Yeah, I know, all those Brosnan ones run together for me too.

6. In the Roman calendar, December 25 was Brumalia. What's the scientific name for the occasion marked by Brumalia? "Bruma" means "short," and Brumalia marked the shortest day of the year. We call it the winter solstice. (By "we" I mean owners of New Age bookstores.)

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these works of art? Cassatt's Mother and Child, Degas's The Ballet Rehearsal, Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergere, Escher's Three Spheres, Fuseli's The Nightmare, Van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding, Velazquez's Las Meninas, Vermeer's Woman with a Pearl Necklace. These classic works all feature a mirror--a topologically impossible one, in the case of the Manet painting. (We accepted "reflection" as well.)
Old 27 December 2011, 08:11 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

Hope you enjoy the last Tuesday Trivia of 2011! We plan on continuing faithfully every week throughout 2012, until the Mayan Apocalypse ends all life on earth. (Actually, if the jaguar-gods allow, we will try to continue for two weeks after the Mayan calendar ends, because I enjoy writing the Christmas quiz every year.)

Make it a New Year's resolution to submit answers to Tuesday Trivia this year! Then you can see your name or implausible pseudonym on a list much like the one at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...pic.php?t=6716 . Happy New Year, everybody.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What's the American version of the 1997 Swedish TV hit Expedition Robinson called?

2. What type of dog, encompassing 28 different breeds, was so named because it was bred to burrow in the earth?

3. What length of time is the life of a current U.S. patent, as well as the span of a marriage celebrating the "china anniversary"?

4. The Marco Polo Club is the appropriately named frequent-flyer program of what Hong Kong-based airline?

5. What 1969 musical title figure is told he's "really made the grade, and the papers want to know whose shirts you wear"?

6. What modern-day nation was once ruled by Merovingians and Carolingians?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these Christmas-y songs? "The Christmas Song," "I'll Be Home for Christmas," "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Silver Bells," "White Christmas" and, in part, "Sleigh Ride" and "Winter Wonderland"?
Old 27 December 2011, 08:18 AM

Default My Guesses

Quote:
1. What's the American version of the 1997 Swedish TV hit Expedition Robinson called?
Survivor

Quote:
2. What type of dog, encompassing 28 different breeds, was so named because it was bred to burrow in the earth?
WAG - Dachshund???

Quote:
3. What length of time is the life of a current U.S. patent, as well as the span of a marriage celebrating the "china anniversary"?
20 years???

Quote:
4. The Marco Polo Club is the appropriately named frequent-flyer program of what Hong Kong-based airline?
Cathay Pacific

Quote:
5. What 1969 musical title figure is told he's "really made the grade, and the papers want to know whose shirts you wear"?
I guess there are worse earworms - Major Tom from David Bowie's Space Oddity

Quote:
France???

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these Christmas-y songs? "The Christmas Song," "I'll Be Home for Christmas," "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Silver Bells," "White Christmas" and, in part, "Sleigh Ride" and "Winter Wonderland"?
Ooh Ooh - I know this one (I think, I am basing it on White Christmas, Silver Bells and The Christmas Song) - they were written by Jewish gentlemen, making them somewhat ironic (to some people, anyway).

MacLloyd
Old 27 December 2011, 08:45 AM

Whalephant

I think #2 is terrier.
Old 27 December 2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I think #2 is terrier.
Oh - now that makes sense!

Maclloyd
Old 27 December 2011, 10:44 AM

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Survivor

2. Terrier

5. Major Tom

6. France?
Old 27 December 2011, 11:14 AM

I think MacLloyd is right about question 7. I can confirm that Johnny Marks who wrote Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is Jewish.
Old 27 December 2011, 11:23 AM

Don't know. I just want to say that time flies. I had no idea it's been going on for 14 years.

I shared my teens with a lakeland terrier

Cathay Pacific?

France

They all make me want to throw up
Old 27 December 2011, 12:23 PM

Terrier.

Major Tom.

France.
Old 27 December 2011, 03:14 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Survivor
Quote:
mole dogs.
Quote:
17 years
Quote:
Ghengis Khan
Quote:
Conrad Birdie
Quote:
France
Quote:
They all mention fires.

Seaboe, who is delighted that fruitcake was the right answer last week.
Old 27 December 2011, 03:21 PM

I always look forward to your answers.
Old 29 December 2011, 12:02 AM

Icon106 Can't find the happy face icon to put on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Conrad Birdie
We love you, Seaboe, but you've gotta be sincere.
Old 29 December 2011, 02:50 AM

1. What's the American version of the 1997 Swedish TV hit Expedition Robinson called? Dunno - Lost?

2. What type of dog, encompassing 28 different breeds, was so named because it was bred to burrow in the earth? Gotta be the terrier.

3. What length of time is the life of a current U.S. patent, as well as the span of a marriage celebrating the "china anniversary"? 5 years?

4. The Marco Polo Club is the appropriately named frequent-flyer program of what Hong Kong-based airline? Alitalia?

5. What 1969 musical title figure is told he's "really made the grade, and the papers want to know whose shirts you wear"? Major Tom

6. What modern-day nation was once ruled by Merovingians and Carolingians? France?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these Christmas-y songs? "The Christmas Song," "I'll Be Home for Christmas," "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Silver Bells," "White Christmas" and, in part, "Sleigh Ride" and "Winter Wonderland"?[/QUOTE]

Bridges/verses in a minor mode (or different key)?
Old 30 December 2011, 12:53 AM

Baseball

Can tell it's the holidays. Missed the list this week.

1. What's the American version of the 1997 Swedish TV hit Expedition Robinson called? Survivor

2. What type of dog, encompassing 28 different breeds, was so named because it was bred to burrow in the earth? Digger

3. What length of time is the life of a current U.S. patent, as well as the span of a marriage celebrating the "china anniversary"? 30 years

4. The Marco Polo Club is the appropriately named frequent-flyer program of what Hong Kong-based airline? I have no clue.

5. What 1969 musical title figure is told he's "really made the grade, and the papers want to know whose shirts you wear"? I should know this one.

6. What modern-day nation was once ruled by Merovingians and Carolingians? France

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these Christmas-y songs? "The Christmas Song," "I'll Be Home for Christmas," "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Silver Bells," "White Christmas" and, in part, "Sleigh Ride" and "Winter Wonderland"? Not one of these songs references the birth of Christ.

I think I'm 2 for 7 this week.
Old 30 December 2011, 03:46 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I think I'm 2 for 7 this week.
I'm pretty sure I'm 3 for 7. That's 5 between us, right?

Seaboe
Old 03 January 2012, 11:28 AM

Default Didn't get my questions today

I did not receive my questions from Mr. Jennings this morning.

Spam & Cookies, can you help out?

MacLloyd
Old 03 January 2012, 02:31 PM

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What's the American version of the 1997 Swedish TV hit Expedition Robinson called? It's a Robinson Crusoe/Swiss Family Robinson reference. Here in the (dumber) rest of the world, we call it Survivor.

2. What type of dog, encompassing 28 different breeds, was so named because it was bred to burrow in the earth? "Terrier" comes from "terra," get it?

3. What length of time is the life of a current U.S. patent, as well as the span of a marriage celebrating the "china anniversary"? Patents, unlike most marriages, last twenty years.

4. The Marco Polo Club is the appropriately named frequent-flyer program of what Hong Kong-based airline? In Polo's day, northern China was called Cathay. Hong Kong's flag carrier is Cathay Pacific.

5. What 1969 musical title figure is told he's "really made the grade, and the papers want to know whose shirts you wear"? Ground control to Major Tom! History does not record whether the good Major wore Gant or Van Heusen or what.

6. What modern-day nation was once ruled by Merovingians and Carolingians? France may not have had the longest-lasting dynasties, but it did have the ones with the longest names. Take that, Plantagenets.

Sorry. Can't access last week's questions for the answer to #7.
Old 03 January 2012, 02:33 PM

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

Happy New Year, unless you are Chinese or Jewish or whatever! I'm still a little bleary from my riotous night of playing Wii Lego Batman while blackout-drunk, so let's get straight to the questions. (Obligatory link to the scoreboard at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...pic.php?t=6716 .) May you all have a wonderful 2012. I hope it's healthy and fulfilling and prosperous for all and then we kill Osama Bin Laden again.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What 1980s movie protagonist is accidentally dubbed "Pierre Cardin" in the French translation of his film debut?

2. Which calendar month is observed as Black History Month in the U.S. and Canada?

3. What has s, p, d, and f subshells?

4. What country is named for the "Lion Mountains" that Pedro de Cintra mapped around its harbor in 1462?

5. What married couple won 2011 CMT Music Awards for Male *and* Female Videos of the Year?

6. What English clergyman and economist published An Essay on the Principle of Population anonymously in 1798?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these entertaining people? Roy Acuff, Melvin Belli, Clark Gable, Benny Goodman, Michael Jackson, Steve McQueen, Roy Rogers, Mack Sennett?
Old 03 January 2012, 02:36 PM

1. Marty McFly?
2. February
3. The electron cloud
4. Sierra Leone
5. Dang.
6. Malthus
7. Again, 8 people who have never been in my kitchen.