snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 15 December 2011, 01:42 PM

Jaded Malcolm X

Did a search here, but didn't find anything.

"The death of over 120 white people is a very beautiful thing."

I've been seeing this quote attributed to him a lot, but so far [and I'm hardly the best at this type of thing] the only source for this is a book called American Polemic : An Examination of Truth, Justice and the American Way published in 2007 that apparently had been out of print for quite some time and information about the book itself seems rather obscure.

I always kinda felt conflicted over him. I can't admit he was a big factor in the Civil Rights Movement, but I certainly didn't agree with some of his ideologies. I am aware that he started to rethink some of his more extreme ideals before he was killed though.
Old 15 December 2011, 06:08 PM

Canada

"Death And Transfiguration" article from Time Magazine, 05 Mar 1965:

Quote:
Malcolm was also a savage speaker. After the 1962 plane crash in France that killed 121 whites from Georgia, he rose before a Los Angeles audience and said: "I would like to announce a very beautiful thing that has happened. I got a wire from God today. He really answered our prayers over in France. He dropped an airplane out of the sky with over 120 white people on it because the Muslims believe in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. We will continue to pray and we hope that every day another plane falls out of the sky."
In reference to this accident