snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 31 October 2011, 08:20 PM

Glasses Dangerous myths surround flu shots

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends flu shots for everyone over 6 months old. Yet relatively few people get them.

Last year, only 43 percent of Americans got a flu shot ó and that was a record.

The reason, experts say, is a host of myths about what the flu is and how dangerous it can be. Among those:

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/8...s-experts.html
Old 31 October 2011, 09:27 PM

Whenever I meet people who are against getting the flu shot for a reason like these (as opposed to a realistic one like having a depressed immune system or being allergic to eggs) I tell them about the thousands of deaths every year from the flu and if even one of those deaths could have been prevented by somebody getting the shot then its a tragedy.

I think most people figure they are young and healthy and even if they do get the flu they'll fight it off.. And that is probably true. What they don't think about is helping to spread it around until it ends up infecting somebody who cannot fight it off.

Really I have the same argument for vaccines, if one kid dies of pertussis who didn't have to then its a horrible side effect of the culture that seems to second guess medical experts (and instead often going to celebrities).
Old 31 October 2011, 09:51 PM

Check out one of my neighbor's response:
" Yikes! Mercury is a toxic element that never leaves your body, it's an ingredient in your flu vaccines. Bill Gates/Bill Gates Foundation is all for you getting your vaccines, but he's also all for depopulation. Hence his active roll in promoting flu shots and planned parenthood. Gates is stating that he considers vaccines to be useful in contributing to bring the projected population growth of 2.2 billion down to 1.3 billion. How could that happen you might wonder... Sterility, infertility, senility and lets not forget those abortions.

All one would need to do instead of this vaccine, would be washing your hands, eating super foods that boost your immune system and making sure you get a good share of Vitamin C. It's been over ten years since I have had a flu shot, and I haven't had the flu. "

See? She hasn't had the shot and she hasn't had the flu so she must be right.
Old 31 October 2011, 09:54 PM

Even the egg allergy can be dealt with. My DD with egg allergies gets the shot in small does. It used to be 5 doses but this year it was only 2. (There is apparently less egg in the vaccine and her allergy is lessening.)
Old 31 October 2011, 09:55 PM

I suspect a lot of young, healthy people who live around a lot of young, healthy people (some of whom probably have gotten the flu shot) have never gotten the flu. What they probably have had once or twice was a really bad cold and figured "Well, that wasn't so bad".

I've had the flu (so far as I know) exactly once, it was horrible, rapid changes in body temp, pain and aches, nausea and vomiting and all that along with difficulty breathing. It puts colds to shame, even bad ones.

ETA: My point with the egg allergy was really just an example to illustrate that there are people who may have reasonable reasons for not wanting to get the shot (even if there are workarounds) and I was not referring to them.
Old 31 October 2011, 10:32 PM

I had rotator cuff surgery last February. As I was laying there very relaxed due to the tranquilizer administered a short time previously, I was asked if I had had a flu shot. My wife piped up quickly before I could say a thing and told them to give me one. At least I spoke up quickly enough to have them give it to me in the shoulder not being operated on.
Old 01 November 2011, 02:53 PM

Glasses

A FOAF posted on face book (very disapprovingly) that she and her husband were strong-armed into getting flu shots, pulling out the old chestnut that since her husband gets sick when he gets the shot, he must be getting the flu from the shot.

Oh, and the strong-arming? If her husband didn't get the shot, he had to wear a medical mask at work. Such injustice! Such force!

Seaboe
Old 01 November 2011, 02:58 PM

Clearly, it would have been much more fair to risk his exposing potentially vulnerable people to the flu.

DD got her flu shot Sunday.* I still need to get mine.

*Her being a legal adult with her own car is such a timesaver. I did give her $20 toward the shot, but I didn't have to do anything else.
Old 01 November 2011, 06:23 PM

I work in a hospital dealing with vulnerable (very unwell when they get to us) patients on a daily basis, so I got my flu jab, as is strongly suggested by the management of the hospital.

I work in a department full of people who deal with vulnerable patients on a daily basis, but refuse to get their flu jab because they know someone who knows someone who "got flu" from it.

It angers me.
Old 01 November 2011, 06:34 PM

Even though I am super pro-vaccination I have never gotten the flu shot, for no real good reason. I guess I should get one. Is $20 what they cost?
Old 01 November 2011, 06:40 PM

Around here $25 seems to be the going rate. But I had a $20 handy, so I let her kick in the last $5. Some health insurance covers them.

My previous employer provided them, free, in the office. That was nice, as much for the convenience as for the savings.
Old 01 November 2011, 08:05 PM

I started getting them about four years ago, after I got really got the flu. I had had it previously, and it wasn't too bad, but this put me out for several days (and I'm rarely sick). It was not something I want to repeat.
Old 01 November 2011, 08:44 PM

I've been getting them pretty regularly, probably over the last 6 years. In 2009 I missed the day at work that they came in to give the shot, and I didn't make other arrangements. Later that winter I got the flu. I missed an entire week of work, and felt miserable for another couple of weeks. I'm not missing another flu vaccine if I can help it. (And I agree that most people who are nonchalant about getting the flu have not experienced it--it isn't a bad cold, or being sick for a couple of days. It's misery on a level that makes you contemplate what it would take to be put out of it.)
Old 02 November 2011, 02:39 PM

Glasses

My employer provides them at no cost for full employees, and at what appears to me to be a discounted cost for contractors. This year, at my place of work (well, the building next door), it was on October 20th and November 3rd.

I base my comment about the discount because I seem to remember it cost contractors around $23, and the going price here in Seattle seems to be $35.

I got mine on the 20th, even though I'd had my allergy shots on the 19th, and I was feeling crummy (for non-immunization affecting reasons--anything more would be TMI).

Seaboe
Old 02 November 2011, 03:14 PM

I haven't even seen anything about employees here getting flu shots, which frankly surprises me. As a contractor, I'd gladly pay to get a flu shot right here at work, even without a discount from the market rate. It might even be worth five bucks to me not to have to go somewhere to get it.
Old 02 November 2011, 04:38 PM

I got vouchers from my insurance company this year that covered everybody in the family. We just had to stop by the Walgreen's a couple of blocks away with the vouchers. Wham! Bam! (bam is not a word in Firefox's dictionary?) Thank You, Ma'am. We where out of there with our shots, no out of pocket cost to me, in about 2o minutes.
Old 02 November 2011, 05:53 PM

Yeah, since I'm not working for my former employer anymore, I wound up going to a pharmacy this year. It was still free through my insurance. It was a pharmacy in a grocery store, and getting a flu shot meant I got a 10% off coupon for the store, which was nice. Unfortunately, although SO's shot was totally painless and easy, the pharmacist hit a blood vessel with mine and it bled a little and I got a quarter sized bruise. Still waaaaay better than getting the flu.
Old 02 November 2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I started getting them about four years ago, after I got really got the flu. I had had it previously, and it wasn't too bad, but this put me out for several days (and I'm rarely sick). It was not something I want to repeat.
I think (and I'm not saying you did this, RealityChuck, just using your post as a jumping-off point) that part of the antipathy (or at least apathy) towards flu shots stems from people not really understanding what THE FLU is. So many people in my experience seem to think of it as a bad cold. It isn't. The level of unwellness I felt when I had the flu, the true and proper flu, was like nothing else I had ever had before. Not an experience I care to repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I haven't even seen anything about employees here getting flu shots.
I'm a bit surprised, too. They used to offer them when I was there, though that's several years back now.
Old 02 November 2011, 08:02 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
I think ... that part of the antipathy (or at least apathy) towards flu shots stems from people not really understanding what THE FLU is. So many people in my experience seem to think of it as a bad cold.
Or they think that anything that makes you throw up is the flu. Which is, I think, part of the reason why people who get sick from the shot insist it gave them the flu.

I last had the flu when my now 23 yo nephew was about 4 (too young to cross the street alone, at any rate). Because of chronic illness, he'd had a flu shot. I wasn't working for my current employer yet, and didn't get one. Nor did anyone else in my immediate family.

My sister's MIL had the flu at Xmas, but everyone still went there for Xmas (don't ask me why--it never occurred to us not to go). Everyone except the 4 yo got the flu. My sister ran out of coffee and after everyone was all better, said that she'd wished she could send my nephew to the grocery store (1 block away; every employee of the store knew my nephews) and my nephew looked at her in shock and said "by myself?!"

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 02 November 2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: because flu has no e, and the interior of a chimney has never made me sick.
Old 02 November 2011, 08:49 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
... because flu has no e, and the interior of a chimney has never made me sick.
Oh, sure, use that as an excuse to not get a flue shot...