snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 26 April 2007, 05:16 PM

Fright Squirrel-a-pult

Squirrel-a-pult video

I hope it's not real. Poor squirrel.
Old 26 April 2007, 05:19 PM

Looks real to me. I don't think the squirrel is likely to be injured, just terrified.
Old 26 April 2007, 05:36 PM

Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troodon View Post
Looks real to me. I don't think the squirrel is likely to be injured, just terrified.
Oh, sure, smacking into a tree or hitting the ground after falling several feet won't hurt it at all.
Old 26 April 2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debunker View Post
Oh, sure, smacking into a tree or hitting the ground after falling several feet won't hurt it at all.
Hitting a tree would hurt, but I don't think falling several feet would hurt a squirrel.
Old 26 April 2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troodon View Post
Hitting a tree would hurt, but I don't think falling several feet would hurt a squirrel.
Depends on the velocity, which looks pretty high to me.
Old 26 April 2007, 05:47 PM
Jonny T

hmm...oh, the possibilities....
Old 26 April 2007, 05:50 PM

These squirrels (plural) are not falling, they are being flung. Big difference, the forces would be far greater. Much more potential for harm.

Lightly spanked by buckleupp. I will have my revenge in the AI pool. I will.

Last edited by Sue Bee; 26 April 2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: becawse i type sloe like squirrles
Old 26 April 2007, 06:00 PM

I know this is going to be highly unpopular, but that is one of the funniest damn things I've seen in a long time. I want one.

I used to think squirrels were cute creatures, too. Once you've had a few do several thousand dollars in damage to a roof, attic and wiring or die while getting stuck in the wall and resulting in a major stink-fest combined with expensive wall removal and replacement, they tend to become more of the rodent/pest that they really are.

If I didn't live in the city limits, I'd quit trying to trap and release them (which I do with a 'humane' trap) and start using them for twelve gauge target practice.

Fowl"friggin' rats with bushy tails"play
Old 26 April 2007, 06:11 PM
Doug4.7

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlplay View Post
I know this is going to be highly unpopular, but that is one of the funniest damn things I've seen in a long time. I want one.

I used to think squirrels were cute creatures, too. Once you've had a few do several thousand dollars in damage to a roof, attic and wiring or die while getting stuck in the wall and resulting in a major stink-fest combined with expensive wall removal and replacement, they tend to become more of the rodent/pest that they really are.
I do think that is wrong, but I understand the humor. We are starting to shoot the ones in our yard.

Yes, it is wrong, but it is still funny. Note, there is another one out there on the net that uses a pie plate (it was silver colored) to do the same thing. That one REALLY shot the tree-rat a long way.
Old 26 April 2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlplay View Post

If I didn't live in the city limits, I'd quit trying to trap and release them (which I do with a 'humane' trap) and start using them for twelve gauge target practice.

Fowl"friggin' rats with bushy tails"play

Whatever the case, I'm right there with you

At first I thought it was going to be the squirrel skeet shoot video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ET63h2YM0&NR=1

If nothing else these squirrels are being taught to stay away from the mean people who would do these things- a valuable service IMO. Who knows- who's not to say they aren't adrenalline junky squirrels who actual enjoyed it?
Old 26 April 2007, 06:34 PM
LadyAnnora

Without a doubt the squirrel in this video was injured. If that had been a small dog would you have any doubt that it would be injured after something like that? The fact is, that squirrel likely suffered internal injuries and broken bones. I'm just struggling to see where the humor is? Is it because you think that the squirrel might not be hurt? Would you find a video clip of a child falling a great distance funny? I'm not trying to be snarking at all. I'm asking a genuine question. Are you able to find humor because you believe there was not harm done...or do you find it funny even knowing that a living creature was hurt.
Old 26 April 2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAnnora View Post
Without a doubt the squirrel in this video was injured. If that had been a small dog would you have any doubt that it would be injured after something like that? The fact is, that squirrel likely suffered internal injuries and broken bones. I'm just struggling to see where the humor is? Is it because you think that the squirrel might not be hurt? Would you find a video clip of a child falling a great distance funny? I'm not trying to be snarking at all. I'm asking a genuine question. Are you able to find humor because you believe there was not harm done...or do you find it funny even knowing that a living creature was hurt.

What are you basing your assumption of injury on? I've seen squirrels fall out of a tree outside my office 20 feet+ and run right back up and resume their playful chase.

As for equating a child and a squirrel, c'mon now... a genuine answer is that squirrels and children are not the same, really. Dead child laying along side the road- I'd stop and do something. Dead squirrel laying along side the road- I drive on by. Unless you're someone who stops and picks up every dead animal and then gives it a funeral and/or last rites then I'd say you must see the difference as well so I'm unsure as to why you'd ask what you did.
Old 26 April 2007, 07:00 PM
LadyAnnora

That squirrel did not fall out of a tree, it was flung, with force...something that will doubtless cause injuries. I'm not liscensed to do wildlife rehabilitation myself, but I know a lot of folks who are and squirrels who are injured when they fall out of trees come in all the time actually. That squirrel is not made out of rubber and fluff but flesh and bone that break when it's flung like that.

I did not say a dead child. If you saw a child fall out of a tree, a fall that was likely to result in, lets say, some broken ribs, maybe a broken arm...would you think it's funny? I'm just wondering if you think this video is funny because you think the squirrel wouldn't be injured or you think it's funny regardless?
Old 26 April 2007, 07:06 PM
Doug4.7

Soapbox

Quote:
The problem is squirrels are vermin. I know we should feel sorry when vermin die/get hurt (like a cockroach, ant, spider, fly), but knowing that they have done great damage to my house, it is difficult to NOT find humor in the video.

I don't launch them in my yard. I shoot them.
Old 26 April 2007, 07:10 PM

I thought I was going to laugh at that, but it's not funny. That's some sick NFBSK going on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
I do think that is wrong, but I understand the humor. We are starting to shoot the ones in our yard.
Sidenote: Is there any problem you Southerners DON'T try to solve by shooting it?
Old 26 April 2007, 07:11 PM
LadyAnnora

So, even if you accept the fact that the squirrel gets injured, because the squirrel has done you harm you are able to find humor?

Honestly not a loaded question Doug4.7, I'm just curious about a thought process that's different from mine.
Old 26 April 2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFurg View Post
If nothing else these squirrels are being taught to stay away from the mean people who would do these things- a valuable service IMO.
Ah, but this is natural selection in reverse. The squirrels who might learn this lesson are (probably) not going to live to return or reproduce, so that lesson won't be passed on.

White "love my tree-rats" Canvas
Old 26 April 2007, 07:27 PM

No

Chasing off squirrels with a Super-Soaker = funny.

Launching squirrels and causing them injury = not funny.
Old 26 April 2007, 07:27 PM
Doug4.7

Soapbox

Quote:
So, even if you accept the fact that the squirrel gets injured, because the squirrel has done you harm you are able to find humor?

Honestly not a loaded question Doug4.7, I'm just curious about a thought process that's different from mine.
If you knew that squirrels have done $2000 worth of damage to your house, would it change your mind? What if your house burned down because a squirrel ate through a wire in your attic and started the fire? What if you had to replace your ceiling because a squirrel pee'ed all over it?

In many ways, they are "the enemy" in my book. They have caused lots of damage that cost me big bucks, so "getting back at them" this way does relieve some of the anger.

As for shooting, the city guy told me to do it. When I asked about trapping them and then releasing them out in the country, his line was, "Why the Hell do that? Just shoot the bastards." Note that the city spends big bucks attempting to keep the vermin out of the power station.

Again, I would not do this, but it does make me feel better about blowing them up.
Old 26 April 2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
If you knew that squirrels have done $2000 worth of damage to your house, would it change your mind? What if your house burned down because a squirrel ate through a wire in your attic and started the fire? What if you had to replace your ceiling because a squirrel pee'ed all over it?

In many ways, they are "the enemy" in my book. They have caused lots of damage that cost me big bucks, so "getting back at them" this way does relieve some of the anger.

As for shooting, the city guy told me to do it. When I asked about trapping them and then releasing them out in the country, his line was, "Why the Hell do that? Just shoot the bastards." Note that the city spends big bucks attempting to keep the vermin out of the power station.
I can understand shooting the squirrels - it isn't something I'd do but I know they can be costly pests.

However, I see no excuse for engaging in an activity that causes an animal lasting pain. That's just being cruel for the sake of being cruel.