snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 19 September 2011, 10:47 PM

Jaded Plastic caps for cancer care? Sorry, it's a hoax

Kindhearted residents of the Orangeburg area have been collecting plastic bottle caps, thinking they were helping to pay for chemotherapy treatments for a sick child. The American Cancer Society, however, says residents have been taken in by a hoax.

http://www.thetandd.com/news/article...cc4c03286.html
Old 19 September 2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
It's a form of terrorism because it disrupts your day-to-day life and prevents you from doing the things you want to accomplish, she said.

What?! You know, if you people had done just a little bit of research before collecting all these caps, you might have saved yourself some of this embarrassment. But comparing it to terrorism? Give me a break.

Quote:
"The next time I stand before my church and ask for help for a project like this, they're probably going to be reluctant," she said. "The help we asked for was not a true cause."

I wouldn't blame them, unless you can provide them with proof that this cause is real. Like I said, a little bit of research goes a long way. But then, I'm a snopester...

Slacktivism strikes again.
Old 19 September 2011, 11:38 PM

I wounder if anyone try to tell her or someone else involved it was hoax and then were told off. I know it happen to me at least once though I think they did wise up after some time and stop trying to collect.

It is hard to convince a person that thinks they are doing a good thing, that they are not.
Old 20 September 2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyBean View Post
What?! You know, if you people had done just a little bit of research before collecting all these caps, you might have saved yourself some of this embarrassment. But comparing it to terrorism? Give me a break.
They could argue that wasting people's time is a form of terrorism, in which case all the little old ladies that drive 15 MPH under the speed limit in my town are terrorists too... Wait a second! The El-D'erli! It all makes sense now! They hate us for our youthful freedoms!
Old 20 September 2011, 11:36 AM

I wish I had a £ for every email I get about cash-for-trash hoaxes (most of them are from people who are in denial that it's a hoax). My immediate superior is busy collecting both bottle caps and ring pulls, convinced they are paying for medical sequipment/treatment, no matter how much I have atold him about checking directly with the society that is supposed to be supplying the equipment/treatment. I believe the whole scout troupe is involved in collecting these (and therefore their parents are involved, their parents' colleagues/friends etc). At the end of the day I may at least get the satisfaction of saying "I told you so" and giving the the address of a recycling company that pays a charity per tonne of plastic it receives (from multiple sources) as a result of the hoaxes.
Old 20 September 2011, 03:03 PM

Glasses

With My Coke Rewards you can enter the codes off the underside of Coke product caps to get points and can then donate those points to a charity that is registered, including the American Cancer Society. However, I don't see any way that the donation could be made for a single individual.

The cap points can be used for items and other things as well. I have mostly used my points for magazine subscriptions.

So if you drink the Coca-Cola products and have the cap points you could certainly donate them to charity.
Old 01 October 2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
I wounder if anyone try to tell her or someone else involved it was hoax and then were told off. I know it happen to me at least once though I think they did wise up after some time and stop trying to collect.

It is hard to convince a person that thinks they are doing a good thing, that they are not.

Had that very thing happen to me. A co worker was collecting them and had a collection jar in the break room. I tried to tell people it was a hoax but was not believed. It was not until an article appeared in the local paper that people got the message. The article was written after I tipped the paper off to it. The collection jar was taken down a day after the article appeared. If people would just take the time to do a little research this stuff would not happen.
Old 01 October 2011, 10:52 AM

The thing is, it's actually not a "hoax" as such any more, although it would be ostention (is that the word)?

Somebody at work started asking people to save caps, and I was going to point out that it was a hoax, but searched for some evidence and found a recycling company that actually does take plastic caps for recycling and give the money to charity. I found it from a page Llewtrah had written about this, in fact.

Of course, the company only started doing this after so many people turned up with plastic caps thinking they were doing something worthwhile, and the value was miniscule - you needed of the order of half-a-ton of caps to be able to get any money at all - hundreds of thousands of caps, and then they were worth only a few pounds. But it made it harder to say it wasn't true, so I didn't bother (at least, not publicly). Somebody else must have done, though, because the collecting tubs disappeared after a couple of weeks.
Old 01 October 2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The thing is, it's actually not a "hoax" as such any more, although it would be ostention (is that the word)?
No. Itís still a hoax since the whole premise is that ACS was supporting said charity and making the donations. They still are not. True, donations are being made, but itís not the same things. Itís apples and oranges.
Old 04 October 2011, 03:34 AM

Saw this on a commercial for Yoplait yogert here in Canada

http://www.yoplait.com/save-lids-save-lives/
Old 04 October 2011, 04:34 AM

Royalty

Another good reason to avoid Yoplait then.

I'll just donate my share of money directly.