snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 19 August 2011, 03:47 PM
Tab1975

Default HAARP and the New Madrid Fault

So here's one of many links I found stating that HAARP is going to cause a major quake on the New Madrid Faultline.

http://kriskemp.com/is-haarp-plannin...ence-says-yes/

This was brought to my attention (along with something about three comets hitting earth? CAN WE JUST DEAL WITH ONE DISASTER AT A TIME?) by a conspiracy theorist that is blaming HAARP for the Haiti quake, the Tokyo quake, the tornado swarm that hit Alabama, the Joplin tornado, and the rain that causes the spring floods - e-mailed to me specifically, telling me to get my family and get out of town. Google has turned up ton of these links.

Now. I'm one of the most skeptical people on earth. But considering I live in what we call the "dead zone" in the case of a Madrid Fault Quake (meaning the big one hits, and I'm dead), and I've gone through the Ice Storm of the Century, the Flood of the Century, and probably the most destructive spring we've had in forever (no tornados but a microburst every week for about two months...took out what trees the ice storm didn't...) it really doesn't take much to get me rattled...ESPECIALLY about the big "E" word, as that's the only thing we HAVEN'T had....what ya'll got on this?
Old 20 August 2011, 12:31 AM

If they died, how are they survivors?
Old 20 August 2011, 02:48 AM
Tab1975

Sorry, if who all died?
Old 20 August 2011, 02:54 AM
Tab1975

Eh, sorry, didn't make myself clear, the "dead zone" is in the case of a major earthquake. Rest of it sucked, but nobody died.
Old 20 August 2011, 10:13 AM

Icon27

Although the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) is a favorite topic among many conspiracy theorists, UFOologists, and all sorts of kooks and crazies who blame it for everything from mind control, weather control, alien visitations, the space shuttle Columbia disaster, and producing earthquakes and tsunamis it's actually a very mundane scientific program. Here's the description from HAARP's website:
Quote:
The HAARP program is committed to developing a world class ionospheric research facility consisting of:
  • The Ionospheric Research Instrument (IRI), a high power transmitter facility operating in the High Frequency (HF) range. The IRI will be used to temporarily excite a limited area of the ionosphere for scientific study.
  • A sophisticated suite of scientific (or diagnostic) instruments that will be used to observe the physical processes that occur in the excited region.
And from their FAQ:
Quote:
Is HAARP a classified project?
HAARP is not classified. There are no classified documents pertaining to HAARP.
{ snip }
Is HAARP capable of affecting the weather?
The HAARP facility will not affect the weather. Transmitted energy in the frequency ranges that will be used by HAARP is not absorbed in either the troposphere or the stratosphere - the two levels of the atmosphere that produce the earth's weather.
Brian
Old 20 August 2011, 11:32 AM

Australia

But that's what they want you to think!

Dropbear
Old 20 August 2011, 03:28 PM
Tab1975

Thanks Brian! I had a hard time finding anything debunking it, and that's why I posted here!

(The crazy has been blocked as well.)
Old 31 August 2011, 01:27 AM

Devil

I know a lot of fundamentalist Christians, Kent Hovind for one, who is currently locked up in a federal prison for income tax evasion, believe that HAARP is being used to change the weather and cause famine and other disasters. These "fundies" who are premillennialists also believe that a future world dictator whom they call the Antichrist will use HAARP to terrorize the masses so that people will take the "mark of the beast."

What paranoia!

Barb
Old 31 August 2011, 05:36 AM

I don't think there's ever been a point in time ever since the acid trip referred to as Revelation was put to ink that fundamentalist Christians haven't found something that told them it was coming true.
Old 31 August 2011, 07:33 AM

I learned this week that there is (apparently) a HAARP installation in Christchurch....
Old 31 August 2011, 01:47 PM

I think it's significant that most images and texts depict angels as playing harps, don't you think.

*waggles eyebrows conspiratorially*

Old 31 August 2011, 04:03 PM

According to Wikipeadia, there are a total of six HAARP or related installations around the world, several of which are in the Arctic. The Arctic is also the home of the Harp Seal. According to Revelations, each opening of one of the seven seals adds a cataclymic event. The opening of the seventh seal is the one that begins the end. So one more HAARP installation and the world will end.
Old 31 August 2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I don't think there's ever been a point in time ever since the acid trip referred to as Revelation was put to ink that fundamentalist Christians haven't found something that told them it was coming true.
I love this.
Old 31 August 2011, 04:39 PM

I heard someone on NPR this morning say New Madrid is very quiet right now, and may be be going into a period of "seismic shutdown."

Also:
Massive earthquake massive fail.
Old 31 August 2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
According to Wikipeadia, there are a total of six HAARP or related installations around the world, several of which are in the Arctic. The Arctic is also the home of the Harp Seal. According to Revelations, each opening of one of the seven seals adds a cataclymic event. The opening of the seventh seal is the one that begins the end. So one more HAARP installation and the world will end.
You have put way, way, way too much time into researching that joke. Thank you.
Old 01 September 2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragonfly View Post
I love this.
Well, that's what it reads like.
Old 02 September 2011, 08:01 PM

And not a good trip either. Terrific description of it, it was the first book of the Bible I ever attempted to read--when I was 7, during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Ali
Old 02 September 2011, 08:14 PM

That explains so much!

Old 06 September 2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
So here's one of many links I found stating that HAARP is going to cause a major quake on the New Madrid Faultline.

http://kriskemp.com/is-haarp-plannin...ence-says-yes/

This was brought to my attention (along with something about three comets hitting earth? CAN WE JUST DEAL WITH ONE DISASTER AT A TIME?) by a conspiracy theorist that is blaming HAARP for the Haiti quake, the Tokyo quake, the tornado swarm that hit Alabama, the Joplin tornado, and the rain that causes the spring floods - e-mailed to me specifically, telling me to get my family and get out of town. Google has turned up ton of these links.

Now. I'm one of the most skeptical people on earth. But considering I live in what we call the "dead zone" in the case of a Madrid Fault Quake (meaning the big one hits, and I'm dead), and I've gone through the Ice Storm of the Century, the Flood of the Century, and probably the most destructive spring we've had in forever (no tornados but a microburst every week for about two months...took out what trees the ice storm didn't...) it really doesn't take much to get me rattled...ESPECIALLY about the big "E" word, as that's the only thing we HAVEN'T had....what ya'll got on this?
I stubbed my toe, i swear HAARP made me do it.
HAARP: The do all death ray in the minds of consperacy theorists
Old 07 September 2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrya View Post
I learned this week that there is (apparently) a HAARP installation in Christchurch....
Well, I have seen a few Harpies down at the local now that the majority of pubs have been demolished in the East...