snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 03 August 2011, 04:56 PM

Default Half a bed for sale

½ of a Bed: MAKE ME AN OFFER!

I’m moving and selling my side of the bed. Well-used, but some of that egg-carton foam would probably fix it right up. My brand new ex-wife still owns the other side of the bed, but don’t worry, she doesn’t seem to mind sharing it with complete strangers.

BONUS: This bed is ALWAYS warm due to it never going more than a few hours without someone being in it! This comes in especially handy if you’re away working out west trying to make enough to cover the mortgage payments.

NOTE: Apparently there’s been like 3 different guys that may be able to claim squatter’s rights on my side of the bed since they spent more time in it than I did. Not sure what the rules are on that.

Send me an offer if you’re interested.

Buyer Beware!

http://peterborough.kijiji.ca/c-View...BTo%2BFacebook
Old 03 August 2011, 04:59 PM

What is this person trying to say? I can't quite figure it out.
Old 03 August 2011, 05:05 PM

Hello Kitty

"My ex-wife is a slutty slut slut and should be shamed as such."
Old 03 August 2011, 05:12 PM

Ah, stupid me. I thought his wife was running a hostel.
Old 03 August 2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
While being a slut is nothing to be ashamed of, cheating on your spouse with multiple partners certainly is.
Old 04 August 2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
While being a slut is nothing to be ashamed of, cheating on your spouse with multiple partners certainly is.
Possibly, but posting something like that on facebook, Kijiji or Craig's list isn't the most mature thing to do either and won't lead me to conclude the man is in the right.

After all, I don't know what he did "out west"" while his wife was entertaining at home. We only have one side of the story.
Old 04 August 2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Possibly, but posting something like that on facebook, Kijiji or Craig's list isn't the most mature thing to do either and won't lead me to conclude the man is in the right.

After all, I don't know what he did "out west"" while his wife was entertaining at home. We only have one side of the story.
I think it's a bit of a leap to go from "he's immature" to "he's cheating on his wife." While I find his handling of the situation childish and counterproductive, we really have no reason to assume he's cheating as well. Sure, this little stunt may have cost him the moral high ground, but let's stick to vilifying him for what he actually did, rather than what we'd like to believe he did because it's more satisfying.
Old 04 August 2011, 02:31 PM

I would add it's a leap of faith to assume he's telling the truth about what she did. All we really know from this posting is that their marriage appears to have some serious issues, and at least one of them is dealing with those issues in a very immature way.

To be clear, I'm not claiming the wife is an innocent party, just that we have no evidence of her behavior, good or bad, besides her husband's word.
Old 04 August 2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I would add it's a leap of faith to assume he's telling the truth about what she did. All we really know from this posting is that their marriage appears to have some serious issues, and at least one of them is dealing with those issues in a very immature way.

To be clear, I'm not claiming the wife is an innocent party, just that we have no evidence of her behavior, good or bad, besides her husband's word.
This was my point, in a very unclear way.

We have no proof his wife was unfaithful, only his response. We also have no way of knowing what he did or did not do that led to their marital breakdown.
Old 04 August 2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
The implications of sleeping around aside, cheating on your spouse should cause shame in you at least. If you are so unhappy, you're considering going outside the marriage, finding a new sex partner shouldn't be your first move though. Yeah, it's over the top. He's clearly very bitter. I'd be willing to bet a few doughnuts it isn't real. But seriously, cheating is a shameful act. Sleeping around is a separate issue, or can be.

ETA: Bitter people in the midst of a divorce are not always reasonable or capable of discerning what they think is happening with what is really happening. They are also capable of some appalling behavior they regret when the dust has settle. Maybe his wife is cheating with a series of one-night stands. Or it's entirely possible she was up front with leaving him for someone else and he couldn't process that. This is assuming any of this is real, which it might not be.
Old 04 August 2011, 05:31 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
This is assuming any of this is real, which it might not be.
I was basically operating under the assumption that this was a joke email, not actually written by someone going through a divorce. Yeah, cheating on one's partner is horrible, but I find most of the "That bitch/bastard is a cheating snake!" jokes out there on the internet to be tiresome and annoying.
Old 04 August 2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I was basically operating under the assumption that this was a joke email, not actually written by someone going through a divorce. Yeah, cheating on one's partner is horrible, but I find most of the "That bitch/bastard is a cheating snake!" jokes out there on the internet to be tiresome and annoying.
I find them annoying too, but mostly because of the "I'm upright and outstanding and he/she is a whore that should be shamed by a childish joke!" feel most of them have.

Like you didn't drive them away with your disgusting personal habits or by always belittling their opinion?
We don't have any way to know...
All we see is how the person has acted so far.
Old 04 August 2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
Maybe his wife is cheating with a series of one-night stands. Or it's entirely possible she was up front with leaving him for someone else and he couldn't process that. This is assuming any of this is real, which it might not be.
You left out the possibility that she has not cheated on him at all. People do sometimes accuse innocent spouses of adultery.
Old 04 August 2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
People do sometimes accuse innocent spouses of adultery.
Yes, yes they do.
Old 04 August 2011, 06:40 PM

This is exactly what the Ex-Creep would have posted had it been an option in 1990. He accused me of sleeping with every man I worked with in NO uncertain terms. And no, I was not. He had nothing to base it on. He just decided that I must be.
Old 04 August 2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
You left out the possibility that she has not cheated on him at all. People do sometimes accuse innocent spouses of adultery.
I really just hadn't gotten there yet. That's also a possibility. He's paranoid for some reason and she's completely innocent. There are lots of possible back stories.
Old 04 August 2011, 06:54 PM

Actually, I'm betting the type of person who posts that kind of thing is more than likely to be the type of controlling, paranoid spouse who falsely accuses his wife of adultery.
Old 04 August 2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
Actually, I'm betting the type of person who posts that kind of thing is more than likely to be the type of controlling, paranoid spouse who falsely accuses his wife of adultery.
Exactly my feelings!
Old 04 August 2011, 07:37 PM

In some areas of the world, like the areas Ryda grew up in, your odds are probably close to right. I'm thinking it's closer to 50/50 that guy was paranoid/wife was cheating. It's entirely possible that he was a paranoid controlling jerk and she was cheating.

But in all honesty, this is a "joke" made by someone with too much time on his hands. (Yeah, I'm assuming joke writer is a he.)
Old 05 August 2011, 04:46 PM

My now ex-husband accused me of cheating on him for years God forbid I have friends that happened to be male - I had to be sleeping with them!

Who's the one who went and met someone else online that led to cheating that led to the end of the marriage? Not me.

Though, in the end, I'm thankful to be freed from him.