Icon108 Stephen King on Twilight

Comment: I've seen this quote a lot this weekend of last Harry Potter
movie, repeatedly passed around twitter, facebook and tumblr, but never
sourced:

"Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing
what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it
is to have a boyfriend." - Stephen King
Old 17 July 2011, 02:29 AM

I have seen well-sourced articles/interviews in which King compares Twilight unfavorably to Harry Potter, but not in these words. Here's one:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/160...ie-meyer.jhtml
Old 17 July 2011, 02:43 AM

I don't think that is as much a slam as it sounds; he has admitted several times that he is not a good writer himself. And even if it was an attempt at a slam, we are talking about a man who wrote about crapweasels from space.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Stephen King, especially his older stuff; I just think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle bad writing.

Last edited by geminilee; 17 July 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 17 July 2011, 03:53 AM

The quote has popped up several times recently on Reddit. It was attributed to Stephen King in a post here, but if you scroll down to the comments you can find a post by music producer Andrew Futral. He links to an old post on his blog here where he said the words being attributed to King.
Old 17 July 2011, 04:10 AM

Reading

Personally speaking, and as someone who hasn't read Twilight, I'd be pretty happy with a book if I knew that Stephen King not only bothered to read it but also commented on it.
Old 19 July 2011, 10:00 PM

I've read a few Steven King novels and I tried reading the first Twilight book. I may not care for either one, but King is so much better at writing that Meyers is. Honestly, her writing level is more of what I've seen on fanfic wikis.
Old 19 July 2011, 10:29 PM

OK: full confession:

I have read all of the Harry Potter books once, and the first one several times. I thought they were all pretty good, but the first one had a charm and brilliance the rest never matched. I was an adult when I read them, and I still found them engrossing.

I have not read any Twilight books, and don't know much about them, other than the commercials, but I know what I read when I was in junior high, and I still don't think I would have liked them even when I was the target audience. I have never liked any kind of formulaic romance.

The only Stephen King books I have read all the way through are Dolores Claiborne, and Danse Macabre (which was non-fiction). I also read two of the novellas in Different Seasons. I liked "The Body." I didn't especially care for "The Breathing Method." I have read the first chapter of many other books, and just not gotten interested. I wanted to, because the jacket covers sounded interesting, but they never gripped me. However, I thought he was pretty good at turning a phrase, really, better than a lot of genre writers, and that is probably why he was so successful.

OK.

I don't know that there is any point in comparing Twilight to Harry Potter. The target audience for the first HP book was younger than the target audience for Twilight, and by the time the HP series ended, the target audience had expanded to include pretty much everyone. Twilight has always had a very narrow audience.

Both series deal with the supernatural, and both were successful around the same time (although, not exactly), but other than that, they are really very different.

Stephen King is not a literary critic, at any rate. Regarding the OP quote, which is more along the lines of social commentary than literary criticism, well, so? Unless Twilight was supposed to be about all the things the critic claims that Harry Potter is about, but failed, and ended up just being about boyfriends, it really isn't a fair criticism. We can debate the worthiness of writing books for young adolescent girls that are about the importance of boyfriends, but that doesn't matter. If the book is supposed to be a romance, and it is a romance, and people enjoy it as such, then it is successful. Maybe totally barf-tastic, as far as I, personally, am concerned, but YMMV.
Old 19 July 2011, 11:19 PM

Icon108

Comment: This quote, attributed to Stephen King, is making the rounds on
twitter and facebook:

"Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength and
doing what is right in the face of adversity… Twilight is about how
important it is to have a boyfriend.”

Some sites report this quote is actually by Andrew Futral. Which is
correct, King or Futrel?
Old 20 July 2011, 07:26 AM

Witch

Here's what Andrew Futral said on Tumblr about the quote:
Quote:
I said it on tumblr but i was quoting Robin Browne when I did say it. I gave her credit originally but no has credited her since.
Brian
Old 20 July 2011, 11:55 PM

Well, you do have to realize that Bella basically got married and knocked up right out of high school rather than going to Dartmouth.
I realize that there is much, much more to it than that, but when you reduce it to its most basic facts...
of course she got married to her vampire boyfriend, but still...
And yes, I have read all of the Harry Potter books, and all of the Twilight books, and I much prefer the Harry Potter books. I have both - in fact I bought Breaking Dawn so that some of my kids (Grade 5 students) could read it (the library reserved list was really,really long), but I also bought books with titles such as "Twilight and Philosophy: Vampires, Vegetarians, and the Pursuit of Immortality." I haven't read them yet, but when I get back into junior, any appropriate ones are going into the class library right beside the Twilight series.
At least you can read the Potter series without having to constantly be reminded how beautiful Harry is, or how great his abs are.