snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 24 June 2011, 07:19 PM

Icon605 Why you can't print counterfeit money on a color laser printer

Could you print counterfeit money, certificates, or other official documents on a color laser or LED printer? Some current printer models are indeed capable of creating reasonable facsimiles. The authorities, however, have already taken steps to thwart such activity.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1607...unterfeit.html
Old 07 July 2011, 03:48 PM

For some reason, I'm terribly amused that the ads embedded in that page started with "Select the correct printer for your business!"
Old 07 July 2011, 04:14 PM

I'm terribly amused by the "The Gub'mint is stealing our Freedoms!eleventyone!" posts.

In what way do these dots restrict your freedom to do anything legal, like say, print out your essay for you class, or send a love letter to you darling?

But commit a crime with that printer, and you're in trouble...
But are you in trouble because you used the printer, or because you commited a crime?

Why aren't people accusing DOYC of restricting our freedom for giving us digital imprints and retinal imprints and dental identification?

That's just my take on it.
Old 07 July 2011, 04:50 PM

When I was working in Eastman Kodak, I knew about a project that would look for information in those dots and stop the user from scanning the image on the Kodak Picture Kiosk. Basically, the idea was that if you are a professional and used Kodak paper and equipment, the image printed will have your copyright information imprinted inside it. If the customer tried to scan the image using a Kodak Picture Center, the software will find those dots and won't let you scan it. You had to go back to the professional to get a copy, or to get the image on a CD, which costs a lot more.
Old 07 July 2011, 04:56 PM

Well it's questionable legality to print counterfit bills - I doubt that anyone can know if you print obviously fake bills. It's definitely illegal when it comes to using said illegal bills to engage in commerce activities.
Old 07 July 2011, 05:02 PM

Well darn. This means if I print out my death threat letter (which will have illustrations in full color) to the Koch brothers on my home printer, they might be able to trace it back to me.

I was so looking forward to terrorizing me some Koch brothers. Now I have to find some other way to have secret happiness.
Old 07 July 2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Well it's questionable legality to print counterfit bills - I doubt that anyone can know if you print obviously fake bills. It's definitely illegal when it comes to using said illegal bills to engage in commerce activities.
I can't find any cites about wether or not it's legal to print your own money, obvious or not, but then why would you print money of any kind if not to use it, which would then clearly be an illegal act?
Old 07 July 2011, 05:07 PM

A big wad of prop money is often useful in theater.
Old 07 July 2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
But aren't all theatre actors paupers, anyway? What would they be doing with a big wad of money?

But I do stand corrected. I should have stated that putting the fruits of your labour in circulation would be illegal.
Old 07 July 2011, 05:18 PM

Title 18 Section 471
Quote:
Whoever, with intent to defraud, falsely makes, forges, counterfeits, or alters any obligation or other security of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.
Since it requires that there be intent to defraud, I would say that printing obviously fake bill, when you have a reason other than to pass them as real money, is legal. IANAL of course.
Old 07 July 2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
For years Hollywood movies have used fake money that looks real from far away but up close says "for motion picture use only" in the spot where real money says "United States of America."
Old 07 July 2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it is, but you really ought to find better ways of paying the actors.
Old 07 July 2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I'm sure it is, but you really ought to find better ways of paying the actors.
That would explain why theatre actors are paupers, then.
Old 07 July 2011, 08:34 PM

Several years ago when I was working my first job, we had a big hollywood film production going on in our back parking lot ('Excess Baggage' with Alicia Silverstone... remember her?). For one scene they dumped a ton of fake money in Victoria's inner harbour, and there were news reports of people trying to pass obviously fake prop American cash for weeks after. It didn't help that the location was right next to the salvation army and another homeless shelter.
Old 07 July 2011, 08:39 PM

Wolf

Nitpick: There is nothing in the article that says you are prevented from printing funny money, simply that it is a Very Bad Idea due to the fact that it is very traceable. OTOH, they'd have to match the bills with the printer, and if you pay cash, don't fill out the warranty card, and don't get caught, how would they know it was you?
Old 09 July 2011, 07:24 AM

I can actually see the basis of a free speech objection here, in the same (perhaps too paranoid) way that many second amendment purists fear gun registration -- in the even that the government did become more oppressive and prone to quash dissent, it might well be that protestors would wish to be able to print pamphlets and so on that could not necessarily be traced back to them. I can recall stories back in the Cold War days of people in communist countries being arrested for owning an unlicensed mimeograph machine -- and one can easily imagine the printer identification technologies of today being used to smoke out pro-democracy activists in China, for instance.

Of course one can dodge this by resorting to more primitive printing methods, but how many people are still using typewriters and mimeo machines, or dot-matrix printers, to turn out copy? (Actually one assumes that they aren't applying such technologies to ordinary black-and-white printers, so there's still an alternative.)
Old 09 August 2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I can actually see the basis of a free speech objection here, in the same (perhaps too paranoid) way that many second amendment purists fear gun registration -- in the even that the government did become more oppressive and prone to quash dissent, it might well be that protestors would wish to be able to print pamphlets and so on that could not necessarily be traced back to them.
I agree, that would be a serious problem.

Also, it messes with the color fidelity of the printer. I've made a couple of programs where there where high demands of exact color reproduction (although none of them actually worked in practice, but they were cool ideas that needed testing). I'd be very annoyed if I found out that I got a pattern of pseudorandom dots effing up my results.
Old 16 August 2011, 11:24 PM

Stand back, someone with personal knowledge has entered the building.

About 30 years ago in High School I took print shop because it was an easy way of getting shop credit. I was in a group of three students who decided to print our own money just to see if we could do it. The results were amatuerish and quite literally a blind man could have detected the ersatz bill.

Unfortunately, the change machine in the cafateria couldn't detect the false bill and we ended up having a delightful conversation with the local Secret Service agent who made it clear that printing bills is, indeed, illegal except under certain circumstances which I print below from the SS website FAQ...which amuses me that a FAQ is "Can I print Money"?:

What are the rules for the printing, publishing and illustration of U.S. currency?
The Counterfeit Detection Act of 1992, Public Law 102-550, in Section 411 of Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations, permits color illustrations of U.S. currency, provided:

The illustration is of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of the item illustrated
The illustration is one-sided and
All negatives, plates, positives, digitized storage medium, graphic files, magnetic medium, optical storage devices, and any other thing used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof are destroyed and/or deleted or erased after their final use
Title 18, United States Code, Section 504 permits black and white reproductions of currency and other obligations, provided such reproductions meet the size requirement. See the section on this website entitled Know Your Money for more information.

Hope that helps.
Old 20 August 2011, 12:03 AM

The copy machine where I work won't let you copy money. If you make a black and white copy, it goes through no problem. If you try to make a color copy though, it puts bars of white all though the bill's image. Works for Japanese and American money. I work as an English instructor for a Japanese kindergarten, so I needed color shots of American money to teach the kids. Thought I could copy mine, but no go.

However, it has no problem printing out money images I find thanks to Google.