snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 25 October 2011, 10:41 PM

I'm the same as Lainie. Pseudoephedrine is the only thing that I've found that helps me breath. Phenylephrine don't do squat for me. And I hate being made to feel like I'm doing something dodgy when I buy Sudafed.
Old 25 October 2011, 10:51 PM

Phenylephrine probably wouldn't have done anything for me before I got my adenoids and tonsils out, but then pseudoephedrine barely did. Flying used to give me the most awful headaches, and sometimes my ears would stop up for days. I have narrow eustacian tubes on top of everything else. I don't know by what mechanism they work, but I take pseudoephedrine at night, because it makes a big difference when I don't have the assistance of gravity to keep my ears and nose clear, and one dose in 24 hours doesn't produce too many side effects. I can't stand the cotton mouth though, and the generally feeling of being medicated that pseudoephedrine gives me. I'm already sick, and it makes me feel worse.

I'm not saying anyone else should react the same way, and I fully agree that the whole showing ID thing sucks. It also means you have to stand in line with the people picking up prescriptions, instead of paying at the front register, where you can pay if you are buying Tylenol.
Old 25 October 2011, 11:07 PM

I prefer phenylephedrine; it does the job. Pseudoephedrine makes me jumpy and nervous. My old boss told me if I had to take it, I should probably stay home.

I am sure there are genetic reasons for this. Caffeine also makes me very hyper.
Old 26 October 2011, 12:52 PM

I'm not very sensitive to caffeine or other stimulants, either. Some days I can take my ADD meds* and still have a very nice nap.

*Assuming I can find a pharmacy that has some in stock and actually fill the scrip.
Old 26 October 2011, 01:01 PM

TYSHTTY Before you go looking for answers, work out exactly what the question is Pretty sure this applies to everything, from research up to the meaning of life.
Old 26 October 2011, 02:11 PM

When your co-worker from Vietnam returns from vacation there with many assorted snacks that she has been gracious enough to share with you, do not over-indulge!

While the taro sticks, dried jackfruit, sweet/spicy tamarind treats, and spice-dusted dried olives (which look/feel like dried apricot to me) are absolutely delicious, eating too much of an unfamilar food yesterday made your digestive system a little...let's say anxious.

PS: As I am typing this, I am still eating the tamarind and wishing there was more jackfruit. Tastebuds are winning the war with my stomach.
Old 27 October 2011, 04:43 PM

Double check the correct size of the wood screw before beginning the project. Discovering after 3 hours of assembling a project that you ran a dozen through the top of the credenza was just plan DUMB.

At least the manufacturer gave you a break on the price for a new top.

BW
Old 28 October 2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I don't think pseudoephedrine has a history of abuse, other than being used to make meth.
I'm sure it's not as well documented as ephedrine's off-label uses, but I do know people abuse pseudoephedrine. It is an appetite suppressant and stimulant and people love to abuse those two things.

Quote:
It gives me cotton mouth and makes me drowsy, so I avoid it. When I'm awake, and therefore upright, allowing for better drainage of sinuses and eustacian tubes, phenylephrine works just fine for me. Occasional menthol cough drops and hot tea help as well. Getting my tonsils and adenoids removed helped the most. Before that, I could count on a cold stopping up my ears for several days. Cars drives in really hilly places were hell. Sometimes my ears stopped up for no apparent reason. I was always pinching my nose and opening my mouth to pop them. I'm sure people thought I had a tic disorder. Anyway, I get stuffy only when I have a cold or sinus infection anymore, not just randomly.
I have allergies and Claritin D is the only medicine that makes a noticeable difference. Unfortunate because the side effects are unpleasant. But sometimes I just can't deal with being in an allergy haze and Claritin gets rid of it very quickly.
Old 01 November 2011, 04:21 PM

Do not unplug the printer from your computer when you are only halfway through a print job.

Gibbie
Old 01 November 2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThistleS View Post
I have allergies and Claritin D is the only medicine that makes a noticeable difference. Unfortunate because the side effects are unpleasant. But sometimes I just can't deal with being in an allergy haze and Claritin gets rid of it very quickly.
I take Claritin every day, just to live in Indiana. One of the reasons I like places like New York is that they don't contain as many allergens for me, personally, as all those amber waves of freaking grain. But when I get a cold, or sinus infection, I usually have to add a decongestant. It's so much better than it was before I got the tonsils and adenoids out, though. I have to be pretty sick before I need something, and then sometimes at night only. Before, I could get congested for no apparent reason other than a change in weather.

The ephedrine is for days when I have to, for work, or whatever, be heavily exposed to a particular allergen, like that day which will live in infamy, when I had to spend several hours at a florist's, because it was a client's job site. What I really needed was a hazmat suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseGirl View Post
I prefer phenylephedrine; it does the job. Pseudoephedrine makes me jumpy and nervous. My old boss told me if I had to take it, I should probably stay home.

I am sure there are genetic reasons for this. Caffeine also makes me very hyper.
I'm sure. Pseudoephedrine make me sleepy. Caffeine will get me going when I'm having a tough time getting going in the morning, because I had a long day the day before, or it was physically strenuous, or I had to take something to sleep, because I had jet lag, things like that, but only if I really did get enough sleep. If I'm strung out because I just didn't sleep enough hours, caffeine doesn't do a thing for me.

Actually, caffeine doesn't even really wake me up, so much as it makes me happy, seriously. When I tried to give up caffeine completely when I was pregnant, and I was having emotional difficulties (which were a lot more than just caffeine withdrawal, but nevermind), my OB said a little was OK, and when she found out that I didn't drink that much to begin with, she said one cup of tea, or eight ounces of Coke a day, and that was an order. I really did feel better.

I squirm when I see coworkers, or DH for that matter, swilling as much as 20 ounces of coffee over a morning, though, because that would not only give me the shakes, it would overwhelm my bladder, which is the size of a walnut, and a bit of a diva over what gets put into it.
Old 01 November 2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
Do not unplug the printer from your computer when you are only halfway through a print job.

Gibbie
That just makes me happy that I replaced the Printer That Went Batshit Crazy with a wireless printer. Seriously. I've done this before....and ended up PISSED OFF.
Old 02 November 2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I take Claritin every day, just to live in Indiana. One of the reasons I like places like New York is that they don't contain as many allergens for me, personally, as all those amber waves of freaking grain. But when I get a cold, or sinus infection, I usually have to add a decongestant. It's so much better than it was before I got the tonsils and adenoids out, though. I have to be pretty sick before I need something, and then sometimes at night only. Before, I could get congested for no apparent reason other than a change in weather.
Yeah, Claritin D has decongestant - pseudoephedrine in fact. Regular Claritin which has loratadine does nothing for me. In fact all antihistimines do nothing for me.

I also prefer urban living because there are far fewer allergens. Living in Marin was a nightmare for allergies. It's nothing but trees and plants up there!
Old 02 November 2011, 12:59 PM

I didn't even know I had allergies until I was a teenager, and I moved here. Stupid trees. And pollen. And damn cornfields. There was a feed corn field within walking distance of my aunt and uncle's house. Central Park never bothered me, and really, genuine woods don't necessarily, like the state parks here, unless it has just rained. Supposedly, it's not trees themselves, but tree bark mold, which grows even on living trees. I don't know why it would be worse here, except the trees are allowed natural growth, which means dead ones don't get cleared except for occasional hazards, and they grow wherever, sometimes just feet apart, even right by the hiking trails.

Central Park looks like this:

An Indiana State Park-- park, mind you, not the state forest-- looks like this:

that's a designated hiking trail. You can imagine my surprise the first time someone said "We're going to the park."

Here's another part of one of the hiking trails:

Cripes, don't lose your map, like I did once.

Last edited by RivkahChaya; 02 November 2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: reduced photo
Old 06 November 2011, 01:15 AM

Stop bitching to people about their baking habits, Blatherskite.

I can actually hear myself complaining when somebody in my household buys instant cake-mix or a carton of fruit pie filling or even some plastic-wrapped baked goods that I could easily make myself. Although the urge to raise my objections ('Apple pie filling? How hard is it to slice and boil apples?!') seems reasonable to me I can also understand how annoying it must be to other people. What I can hear is the whininess of my voice, and it bothers me even while I can't stop voicing it.

Mind you, I still find it hard to accept 'But you never bake the things I want!' as an answer because they never ask me to bake what they want. They just go ahead and buy pre-packaged greasy scones, for example, when scones take a maximum of fifteen minutes to bake from scratch and I can always do much them much better and actually enjoy the process of baking them. Goddamnit, I sound bitchy about baking even when I'm typing it!
Old 06 November 2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
I'm the same as Lainie. Pseudoephedrine is the only thing that I've found that helps me breath. Phenylephrine don't do squat for me. And I hate being made to feel like I'm doing something dodgy when I buy Sudafed.
I felt the same way when I bought some Mucinex D the other day! I even commented to the clerk, "I feel so dirty whenever I have to buy this stuff."
Old 06 November 2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I can actually hear myself complaining when somebody in my household buys instant cake-mix or a carton of fruit pie filling or even some plastic-wrapped baked goods that I could easily make myself. Although the urge to raise my objections ('Apple pie filling? How hard is it to slice and boil apples?!') seems reasonable to me I can also understand how annoying it must be to other people. What I can hear is the whininess of my voice, and it bothers me even while I can't stop voicing it.
Ah, I do the same thing too, sometimes. Once, I heard myself start to complain about the fact that the boxed cake mixes and jars of icing were in the section of the store with the "real" baking stuff, like yeast, and flour. And in my head, I going "Shut up, shut up, shut up!"
Old 06 November 2011, 02:17 AM

I *can* bake from scratch, but I really prefer the convenience of boxed mixes. My favorite pie to make is pineapple cherry. Were I to make it from scratch, I could only make it when I had fresh cherries. I'd have to make cherry filling, pineapple filling and pie crust, then bake the whole thing. From canned stuff, which is very tasty, it takes about 10 minutes to put the pie together and get it in the oven. From scratch would take hours.

I also seriously lack cabinet space, and boxed mixes and frostings take a lot less room than the raw ingredients do.

And it's not just slicing and boiling apples, you also have to flavor them, thicking the filling, and make sure you don't over bake them into mush, or over boil them so they become mush in the pie. Canned fillings give consistency to recipes.
Old 06 November 2011, 02:30 AM

I bake some things from scratch but fiddly things that require a lot of time and effort are only going to happen when I have time on my hands. Which means, rarely. When I was younger, had no kids, very few household responsibilities and no job I did do a lot more from scratch baking.
Old 06 November 2011, 05:55 PM

It is pointless to spend any amount of time heat styling your hair when it is raining out, self! It will just go back to its natural texture as soon as you walk outside!
Old 06 November 2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzarina View Post
I *can* bake from scratch, but I really prefer the convenience of boxed mixes.
Oh, you don't have to defend yourself. I know I'm being silly. Besides, while I can taste the difference between cheap bakery stuff and homemade, I can't really tell the difference between homemade stuff made with shortcuts, and stuff made entirely from scratch.

I mean, my mother thinks I'm cheating when I use active dry, quick rise yeast, and bake a loaf of bread in four hours. She thinks bread baking has to start at 6am, with crumbling a cake of yeast into scalded milk on the stove. This is why she almost never bakes bread.