Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 17 April 2011, 01:30 AM

Icon605 Government salaries

Comment: Salary of the US President...$400,000. Salary of retired US
Presidents...$180,000. Salary of House/Senate...$174,000. Salary of
Speaker of House...$223,500...Salary of Majority/Minority
Leaders...$193,400...Average US Salary...$33,000 to $77,000. HELLO! I
think we found where the cuts should be made! If you agree... repost! I
think we...... should start from the top and work our way down.

Snopes - are these figures accurate?
Old 17 April 2011, 01:45 AM

Call me crazy, but I would hope that the person running the country is being paid more than your average retail assistant manager...
Old 17 April 2011, 01:58 AM

I do not know why people get so upset over the pay for some of the positions carrying the most responsibility in the nation. Quink, I don't think those figures are even close to what a retail assistant manager makes (my guess is that figure would be about $40-50,000), but nonetheless, we want intelligent capable people to work very long hours making sound laws and policy for the country, so what is wrong with pay above the average for all workers. Most have to have a second home of some sort in the DC area, in addition to the one in their home district. The pay is not the primary draw of there positions, but there are major costs to these positions, and we should pay to defray these costs
Old 17 April 2011, 02:14 AM

The President is the Chief Executive Officer of the largest employer in the country, managing a budget of over $3,456,000,000,000.

Sounds to me as if he deserves a raise.
Old 17 April 2011, 02:24 AM

It certainly would not be merit-based!
Old 17 April 2011, 03:35 AM

I was talking about the comment in the that the average US salary was 33k - 77k. I read it as the OP saying that that's what the government salaries should be in line with, as if it's outrageous that politicians are above-average wage earners. I'm not American, but I would hope that the president is making more than the $16.50 an hour he'd get from a $33k salary

Really, none of those seem out of the ordinary, especially when you consider what the jobs involve.
Old 17 April 2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
It certainly would not be merit-based!
But I think it would. At least for those I voted for but certainly not for those who I did not vote for.
Old 17 April 2011, 06:16 PM

What are these email writers smoking? I want some!

The CEO of GE makes about $10 million/year in total compensation, GE's gross sales are something like $75 billion/year. (And the CEO of GE is underpaid compared to CEOs for companies with much smaller yearly sales.)

The US President makes $400K/year and heads an organization with a yearly budget of about $2.6 Trillion dollars.

So, using the corporate number for GE to "properly" scale the salary for the President gives a presidential salary that should be about $350 Million/year. That would be a 25 times salary increase for the President.

And that doesn't even take into account the other compensation that the CEO of GE gets that doesn't show up in his salary.
Old 17 April 2011, 06:20 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
The US President makes $400K/year and heads an organization with a yearly budget of about $2.6 Trillion dollars.
Sure, but how well is our stock doing on the market?
Old 17 April 2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Sure, but how well is our stock doing on the market?
Ah, see that would be one of the great things for the President if his salary was based on performance of the US "stock" on the market.

Stock goes up, President gets a big-ass bonus.

Stock goes down, President gets a big-ass bonus to retain him to get it back up again. (Just like many for-profit companies Take a look at the compensation for the CEOs of banks and car companies that the gov't had to bail out.)

CEO salaries are a classic "win-win situation". No matter what happens their compensation goes up.
Old 17 April 2011, 06:43 PM

Ponder

I'm not sure how well a government bailout of the government would work, though.
Old 17 April 2011, 06:48 PM

Well, first you have to buy eggs in Cairo at 10 cents a dozen...
Old 17 April 2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I'm not sure how well a government bailout of the government would work, though.
Isn't that what raising the debt limit is?
Old 17 April 2011, 10:19 PM

Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
So, using the corporate number for GE to "properly" scale the salary for the President gives a presidential salary that should be about $350 Million/year. That would be a 25 times salary increase for the President.
875 times, really.
Old 18 April 2011, 12:52 AM

Obviously the only way to make a dent in federal spending is to go after the big items (Medicare, Social Security, defense). On the other hand, there would be a hard to measure benefit in changing incentives.

The OP writer wants to change the incentives in just the wrong way. That plan would lead to lawmakers going into debt in office, and then, even more than today, feeling a need to cash in on their fame, such as by moving to a K Street lobbying organization.

It would probably be worthwhile, from a purely budgetary standpoint, to pass a law vastly increasing the pensions of members of congress while forbidding them from public relations jobs in which they inevitably lobby their former colleagues and/or sell expensive items to the government. Maybe there should be a law requiring land grant universities to take on ex-members of congress of poly sci faculty, as this would keep them away from the federal purse.

Former civil servants should also be permanently forbidden to lobby, or to sell stuff to the government. There are ethics rules in this general area now, but they are limited and weak.
Old 18 April 2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eisenberg View Post
Maybe there should be a law requiring land grant universities to take on ex-members of congress of poly sci faculty, as this would keep them away from the federal purse.
Steve, land grant universities (as well as most other public non-land grant universities) receive a great deal of federal money.

Quote:
Former civil servants should also be permanently forbidden to lobby, or to sell stuff to the government.
All civil servants? And should I not, for example, be able to lobby on behalf of an environmental group?

And I don't really blame you for thinking K Street lobbyists are representative of all lobbyists. It is a common mistake people who do not understand lobbying make.
Quote:
There are ethics rules in this general area now, but they are limited and weak.
They should be definitely limited. There is nothing in my current position that would serve me in any future lobbying or selling to the government.
Old 18 April 2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
Steve, land grant universities (as well as most other public non-land grant universities) receive a great deal of federal money.
That's why I mentioned them. It wouldn't be fair to put a somewhat expensive new requirement on a school which received little in the way of federal funds.

Quote:
All civil servants?
Yes, but see below.

Quote:
And should I not, for example, be able to lobby on behalf of an environmental group?
To answer, I would have to start asking a lot of questions about what job you do now, what vendors you have contact with, who funds the environmental group, and what it was in your resume that got you the job. But in the actual world, when feds move on to jobs where they are going to sell stuff to the federal government, or lobby the federal government, they probably are using information and contacts gathered in their government position to enrich someone or some organization. And looking at each individual situation for the one in a zillion that's a (from a budget standpoint) harmless exception would be too expensive.

It might be argued that existing employees should be grandfathered into being exempt from new more stringent ethics rules, in which case you are OK.

Quote:
There is nothing in my current position that would serve me in any future lobbying or selling to the government.
Then, until you get a different job, isn't it is unlikely that an environmental lobbying outfit will hire you?
Old 18 April 2011, 01:36 AM

Since I am a very low level Executive Branch employee, it would be very unlikely that I, or any of my peers (which is a lot of people your proposal would affect), would have any professional contacts with those who would be lobbied, i.e. members of Congress.
Old 18 April 2011, 01:38 AM

If the entire US Congress worked for free, the money saved coukld be used to cut the deficit in, like, a million years. I don't think this would be the first place I'd look to be cutting costs.

And if the salary of the President was zero, people would still spend $100 million dollars campaigning for the position.
Old 18 April 2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
Since I am a very low level Executive Branch employee, it would be very unlikely that I, or any of my peers (which is a lot of people your proposal would affect), would have any professional contacts with those who would be lobbied, i.e. members of Congress.
Then why would an environmental lobbying organization hire you? I would think that competition to get jobs with environmental lobbying organizations is very great.

A more realistic scenario is that next week you are put on a committee to evaluate vendors that propose to revolutionize the efficiency of your workgroup at high cost. Then if you are really nice to them, a few years from now, they hire you to explain, to other organizations, what a great product they have. Then after the one or two year cooling off period, depending on exactly what your role was in procurements, you can be back working with your old colleagues from the committee, who will act in a way to follow in your lucrative footsteps.

Or you are put on a committee relocate your office building, and after an environmental group sees you agreeing with all their ideas that are going to increase the cost of the new building, they then hire you to make the same kind of pitches to similar low-level committees. The people on these low-level committees are are new to you, and don't imagine they could follow your career path. But you have a few key construction management civil service friends in Washington who you got to know in their oversight role regarding the committee you were on, and who wish they could one day get the great job you now have, and will act accordingly.

It is true that the environmental scenario is less likely than the business process reengineering scenario, probably because there are more people trying to sell goods and services via low level civil servants than to lobby them on policy.