snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 13 April 2011, 04:28 PM

Default Future coastline of America

Comment: Attached is a "Navy" map depicting flooding imminently consequent
of New Madrid fault activity. Is the map of labeled provenance, and are the
theories anything but hairbrained science wrapped in a thin veneer of
fear-mongering? If the map is plausible, how can a mile-high plain flood?

Old 13 April 2011, 04:51 PM

I think the Navy uses a different projection (seriously, why is this map so wrong?).

And mile-high plains can flood from the mile-high rivers that run through them escaping their banks.

While a series of earthquakes on the New Madrid fault did create Reelfoot lake back in 1811-1812, I think "fear-mongering" is probably right on, given the estimated strength of those quakes.
Old 13 April 2011, 05:10 PM

Ok, I'm screwed.
Old 13 April 2011, 05:14 PM

Would the Great Lakes area really be so unaffected?
Old 13 April 2011, 05:14 PM

Wouldn't figuring this out be the job of the Army Corps of Engineers? Also, wouldn't a naval map include estimated depth of the water?
Old 13 April 2011, 05:24 PM

Here is something I came up with a while back by working with a topographical map and raising the sea level by 100 ft. Not the same thing, I know, but "fun" nonetheless.
Old 13 April 2011, 05:30 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster View Post
Would the Great Lakes area really be so unaffected?
From the picture, it would be mixed with ocean water at the least. A lot of the Great Lakes are bordered by high bluffs, but I have to believe some of the surrounding land would be affected. Traverse City comes quickly to mind.
Old 13 April 2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cat Named Easter View Post
Here is something I came up with a while back by working with a topographical map and raising the sea level by 100 ft. Not the same thing, I know, but "fun" nonetheless.
That's cool. It also is close enough to what the eastern part of the OP map shows for me to think that it's really a map of coast with a lesser amount, maybe 40-60 feet. But the western part of the change in the OP map mystifies me.
Old 13 April 2011, 05:40 PM

No way that map is accurate. Among other things, it completely ignores the topography of western Oregon and Washington. The Cascade Mountains are shown as completely flooded.
Old 13 April 2011, 05:41 PM

I saw a map very similar to this along time ago, but it was associated with Edgar Cayce. For what that's worth.
Old 13 April 2011, 05:46 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
No way that map is accurate. Among other things, it completely ignores the topography of western Oregon and Washington. The Cascade Mountains are shown as completely flooded.
It looks like the moutains form the new coastline. I don't know what happened to the Olympics though.
Old 13 April 2011, 05:47 PM

Looks a little like the Western Interior Seaway; though with some large differences.

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/41pegas...rming_002.html

The change from that situation to the current one had to do with changes in both water levels and land levels. I suppose a sufficiently drastic series of earthquakes might produce a future interior sea, but I don't expect it would be the same one, as the intervening changes wouldn't just be undone.

Whether the map originally posted shows a reasonable geologist's guess as to a currently possible result, I have no idea.
Old 13 April 2011, 09:19 PM

Never mind the mile-high plains, where the hell are the 7000-13000 foot elevations in Arizona and Utah? This map disregards a plethora of geological facts about North America.. Unless we're perhaps operating under the assumption that the plate has somehow slid downward? In that case I imagine California wouldn't be much more than a reef.
Old 13 April 2011, 09:23 PM

Oh, and I found a pretty interesting Blog with a lot of cool maps that project an 80m rise in sea level. Looks like they did their homework.
Old 13 April 2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolus Ex Deus View Post
Never mind the mile-high plains, where the hell are the 7000-13000 foot elevations in Arizona and Utah?
The Wasatch Front in Utah is in that range. And there are spots in Arizona above 7000 feet.
Old 13 April 2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolus Ex Deus View Post
Oh, and I found a pretty interesting Blog with a lot of cool maps that project an 80m rise in sea level. Looks like they did their homework.
http://flood.firetree.net/ I believe this is what they used to make it.

It seems to go solely by altitude: anything below sea level will automatically be filled in on the map, even if it wouldn't be by a rising sea (e.g death valley)
Old 13 April 2011, 11:46 PM

Wow. It misses me by just enough that I literally have water front property.
Old 14 April 2011, 12:20 PM

Canada I know this map

WOW.

I know this map.

In 2009, I took part in a multinational simulation exercise with US, British, Australian and New Zealand forces in the US. Because of varying political sensitivities, the area of operations for the simulated theatre was chosen as the mountains and plains of the central US. This region here was developed enough in infrastructure to present a realistic area within which we had to work.

However, the exercise was not just a land forces exercise. It was a joint exercise, meaning maritime forces, air forces and land forces were working together. There was no way that maritime forces could actively participate if the main amount of activity was taking place along the Utah/Arizona border, so a vast sea was superimposed on our maps taking over most of Nevada. This allowed the various navies to fully participate. The other 'sea', to the east, was used as a strategic marker. Coalition forces controlled the 'western sea' while the 'eastern sea' was under control of other forces.

At that time, all the nations participating were engaged with their capability development teams, meaning the people partaking in the exercise were the people responsible for the design of the land, maritime and air forces for their respective nations in the 2020s and beyond. I was with the Canadian delegation and our force date was aimed at 2021. So, to make the exercise work for all the nations, the exercise date was set at 2028.

The general lay of the land was that there were four or five countries in the area we know as the US. The failed state we were working in consisted primarily of Utah and Kansas. Friendly nations were north and west of that (west of the sea in California and Oregon and north of the AO meaning Montana, the Dakotas and Nebraska). The enemy country was basically everything south of the Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Arkansas northern state lines. East of the eastern sea was another nation that was friendly to the enemy nation.

In order to make the geography work somewhat, Baja California was wiped off the face of the earth, as well as a chunk of southern California. Why the map shows the western and eastern coasts under water really is beyond me.

The beauty of creating this exercise was that all the underpinning geographic, population and military data was already in hand. This made a multi-layered, complex environment that was much better than the bog standard simulation event and much less expensive to create. Obviously, there would have to be a few changes. For example, I was in Hite, Utah (real life population of 8, and a few mountain goats). However, to make the scenarios work, it was a port town with mining and smuggling along the border as its main economic engines. Population was expanded to 50 000 people. A bit phony on the map, but it was OK.

One of the follies was that Hite is in the middle of the mountains. on the 2D map, it looked like Norway with the fjords and the mountains dropping off into the sea etc. However, because I was working many jobs, including airspace deconfliction, I worked in 3D. I would do a scan of the airspace from Hite and see mountains of water towering over me to the west. The modifications of the map only went as far as drawing a 2D map; the underlying 3D data remained.

Because of varying international restrictions on the use of military information, regardless of its sensitivity, we Canadians were forbidden from bringing any information on exercise development out. We could bring results from our own experiences, but nothing about the exercise per se.

What a shock to see the map (minus the east and west coasts) pop up here.

Wow.
Old 14 April 2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
It looks like the moutains form the new coastline. I don't know what happened to the Olympics though.
Sorry, I meant the Coastal Mountains, not the Cascades.
Old 14 April 2011, 06:39 PM

Look like Florida just got out of a cold shower.