Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 04 January 2007, 10:46 AM
vibe

Default Cat on LSD

Hi

Im new here so greetings to you all

I was having a 'discussion' with a mate as to whether this clip is genuine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Y2sE10OCY

He thinks its fake and that there is a giant fan pushing the cat down, I argue that thats not how a cat would behave under a fan. He thinks im a naive idiot, i think hes a cock.

Who wins?
Old 04 January 2007, 11:30 AM

Well, the Wright Aeromedical Laboratory exists (or existed), in Dayton, Ohio - it helped to develop oxygen breathing systems and (in 1958, just after the date on that video), tested potential astronauts for the Mercury program, among other things.

Drug testing would surely be part of the role of the laboratory - aviation medicine and other military branches have certainly tested psychedelics for their various effects. So it's not implausible that this is an experiment they might have done... (I couldn't find any direct links about LSD / mescaline analogues being tested for aviation but here's a discussion from Hansard about LSD testing on British servicemen and there's plenty of stuff about LSD and the CIA)

That's not what LSD does to a person (well, not in small doses) but who knows how cats would react? Catnip is pretty disappointing in its effects on people, after all. Er, not that I've ever been to a party where we added some to the mulled wine after seeing what it did to the cat, that is.
Old 04 January 2007, 12:06 PM
lazerus the duck

I don't see the point of feeding LSD to cats, surely they got all the experimental data they needed feeding it to US troops.
Old 04 January 2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerus the duck View Post
I don't see the point of feeding LSD to cats, surely they got all the experimental data they needed feeding it to US troops.
And for comparison, here's what US troops look like when on LSD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4N73wXq2K0

(eta) They're not nearly as funny as the British troops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojXak...elated&search=

"The efficiency of the rocket launcher team was also very impaired" indeed...

Last edited by Richard W; 04 January 2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added link to British test video
Old 04 January 2007, 01:16 PM
Victoria J

Regarding the video - I almost hope it is true (given that it isn't supposed to be recent) because that is definitely a distressed cat, and I don't much like the thought of it being someone's idea of a joke. I wished I hadn't watched it.

Having said that I don't think it is drugged, it seems to be reacting to some sort of external force pushing it down and shaking it.

I would have imagined you wouldn't be able to tell if a cat was on LSD given they behave strangely and appear to hallucinate anyway. And are manic at anytime they aren't just lying there for 18hours straight sleep. Possibly all cats are on drugs - after all it is not like they'd share if they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
That's not what LSD does to a person (well, not in small doses) but who knows how cats would react? Catnip is pretty disappointing in its effects on people, after all. Er, not that I've ever been to a party where we added some to the mulled wine after seeing what it did to the cat, that is.
Would catnip be the cat equivalent of alcohol ? or ecstasy ?

(It seems to have different effects depending on the cat/catnip - you sometimes end up with a beligerent cat, my cat gets all languid and aroused, one of them tends to bound around like a kitten again - and likes to hide the catnip mice so he can be "suprised" when he finds it later).

Victoria J
Old 04 January 2007, 01:34 PM
forceflow15

The cat seems to move several inches even when its feet are all under its body. Becuase it is not pushing on anything, I would believe that the video is a cat under a large fan as said in the OP.
Old 04 January 2007, 01:53 PM

To me, it looks like the cat is having some kind of seizure or cramping. A fan would have to be strong as hell to push it down like that, and it would show in the fur. When the cat is picked up, it's still rigid which to me suggest seizure. Siezure spasm would also explain why it is "sliding" around. I'm sure LSD or some other chemical can induce such symptoms in cats.
Old 04 January 2007, 02:10 PM

I can't see the video i'm at work, but is it possible that the cat is in a centrifuge. since the place did studies for astronauts?
Old 04 January 2007, 02:28 PM
Victoria J

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
I can't see the video i'm at work, but is it possible that the cat is in a centrifuge. since the place did studies for astronauts?
No, it is not compressed in one direction like that.

And I agree that it isn't a fan, I don't think that would give the shaking movements and it certainly wouldn't leave it's fur looking normal.

To me it looks a bit like the floor is tipping/shaking (though nothing, including the camera, appears to move relative to this) and a bit as if the cat is being shocked (electricity not someone shouting BOO)...

It's legs are still rigid when it is picked up though.

Or maybe it is just a very odd cat. Any cruel person with a cat, and a sticky label from a new product has probably experimented... Some cats run away, and try to escape the sticker. My cat just turns round, bites off the sticker and spits it towards you BUT we had one cat you could "paralize" by doing this. A small price sticker on the side of his leg, or his back would be enough to have him unable to move his legs. No ill effect afterwards and we never worked out why. (So of course we NEVER tried that again.... )

I've seen cats run around like a wall of death, and cats run about on their heads...so I guess it is possible that this cat just does that and someone thought it was funny.

Victoria J

Last edited by Victoria J; 04 January 2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: to add an all important NOT
Old 04 January 2007, 02:45 PM
Kitten

I had to watch this again (much as I hated to) and I don't know...but I don't think it can be anything externally being done to the cat. Most cats who are reacting out of fear or an outside force (such as electricity, wind, etc.) normally fold their ears back don't they? I've never seen a cat be spazzed to the point where the fur on the tail is fully extended without having the ears plastered to their head!
Old 04 January 2007, 03:00 PM
prrrfukt

I don't think the cat is on anything, it looks as if it's struggling to stay on its feet, and the only thing I can think of that would be doing that is a large fan, however the fur is not being blown around which is what confuses me.

I also heard somewhere that LSD was originally created for cats, but when they tried it out on a cat, it didn't seem to have any affect on it, so they tried it out on humans. I have no idea what the level of truth is on this, or if there is any truth to it at all, I heard it about 5 or 6 years ago and nothing else on it since.
Old 04 January 2007, 03:02 PM
Victoria J

Quote:
Originally Posted by prrrfukt View Post
I also heard somewhere that LSD was originally created for cats,
OK, I'm well and truly baffled by this. I demand more details !

It's not like they have any money to buy drugs or anything.

Victoria J
Old 04 January 2007, 03:11 PM
lazerus the duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prrrfukt View Post

I also heard somewhere that LSD was originally created for cats.
I find it interesting you make this comment when you have the internet at your fingertips. It's quick and easy enough to get all the facts on LSD.
Old 04 January 2007, 03:11 PM

Why on earth would they create LSD for cats? What were they supposedly intending it to do?

That's not true, anyway. It seems it was originally synthesised as a circulatory and respiratory drug, but didn't have the intended effect and was eventually marketed as a treatment for schizophrenia among other things.

Quote:
LSD was initially developed as a circulatory and respiratory stimulant. However, no real benefits of the compound were identified and its study was discontinued. In the 1940’s, interest in the drug was revived when it was thought to be a possible treatment for schizophrenia. ...

Sandoz Laboratories, the drug’s sole producer, began marketing LSD in 1947 under the trade name “Delysid” and it was introduced into the United States a year later. Sandoz marketed LSD as a psychiatric cure-all and hailed it as a cure for everything from schizophrenia to criminal behavior, sexual perversions and alcoholism.
Old 04 January 2007, 03:16 PM
prrrfukt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerus the duck View Post
I find it interesting you make this comment when you have the internet at your fingertips. It's quick and easy enough to get all the facts on LSD.

yes but being that at work is the only place I have access to it right now, I don't want to look anything up that might be incriminating
Old 04 January 2007, 05:22 PM

Hello Kitty

Before I looked at the clip, just reading comments, I thought that perhaps the cat was being spun. After viewing I still think that might be what is happening but don't know how. Also, the info clips lookes 1957 but the cat clip does not look like the same era. Maybe early '60's.
Old 04 January 2007, 08:18 PM

I think Troberg has the best angle. Looks like a seizure to me. I'm sure lots of experiments were done in the 50's that are abhorent now (the earlier experiments of dog head reanimation being discussed in same forum an example). I don't understand how anyone thought posting this on YouTube would do any good. It's a 50 year old experiment. The animal cruelty HAS stopped (that bad cruelty anyway, arguments about current standards notwithstanding). Therefore the only reason to post it is "hey, check out this spazzed cat". It seems to me to promote cruelty more than be a genuine cry to end it.
Old 04 January 2007, 08:42 PM
yogi cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria J View Post
I would have imagined you wouldn't be able to tell if a cat was on LSD given they behave strangely and appear to hallucinate anyway. And are manic at anytime they aren't just lying there for 18hours straight sleep. Possibly all cats are on drugs - after all it is not like they'd share if they were.

Ha Ha. We decided a long time ago (based on--um--how OTHER people we knew acted on various hallucinogens) that all cats are on LSD and all dogs are on pot.
Old 04 January 2007, 08:46 PM

Flame

I couldn't bring myself to watch it more than once, but I don't think it's a fan or other mechanical means. It looks like the poor cat couldn't get his legs up underneath him--a lot like what my cat looked like trying to walk around after surgery on her eye (she had a general anesthetic, of course). Plus, when they picked the cat back up, the front legs looked stiff and were still splayed, as if the muscles were in a spasm.

Poor kitty.
Old 04 January 2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria J View Post
OK, I'm well and truly baffled by this. I demand more details !

It's not like they have any money to buy drugs or anything.

Victoria J
And as you pointed out before, cats hardly need artificial intoxicants or hallucinogens.

[hijack]My ex-h was so virulently anti-drug that he opposed giving cats catnip because it was a drug. I guess he was afraid they'd lose all their ambition and just sit around stoned all day. . . [/hijack