Old 17 March 2011, 06:39 PM

Default Walmart Grocery List

LOL at "cakes we like"

Source: http://www.someecards.com/2011/02/25...t-grocery-list

Last edited by hstarr; 17 March 2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: left out source
Old 17 March 2011, 06:44 PM

OK. I don't get it. What is the joke?
Old 17 March 2011, 06:45 PM

I don't know what's more distressing: The apparent lack of education or the appalling diet...or the fact that someone's trash is being displayed on the internet for all to mock.
Old 17 March 2011, 06:47 PM

ETA: Ah. the source lets us in on the joke.

Quote:
Most white trash grocery list in history discovered at Walmart.
Cry For Help
posted 02/25/2011
Tags: Wal-mart, Walmart, Misspell, Shopping List, Grocery List, Funny, Picture

Does obesity cause horrific spelling? At the very least, pay close attention to this shopping list found at Walmart so you can learn what foods to avoid if don't want to become a moron. At the very least, don't put cedar cheese on a hamberger or musturd on a saugage. And definitely don't wash it down with surger and coolaid. (Via imgur)
So, this list means that the writer and his/her family are obese white-trash morons that we should mock. This judgment is based both on the bad spelling and by the items on the list.

Old 17 March 2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
OK. I don't get it. What is the joke?
Wal-Mart shoppers are ignorant people who can't spell and buy a lot of crap food, har-dee-har-har.
Old 17 March 2011, 07:05 PM

The diet isn't all that horrible. There's fresh fruit on the list as well as butter and eggs. There's a call for hamburger and spaghetti fixings. There's a few premade items but there's lots of ingredients as well. There's also a variety of handwriting on the page so I'm guessing there was some child help with the list. And "cakes we like" is pretty similar to something I'd put on a list for Mr. Gibbie, as in "buy this thing, you know what we usually eat, I don't want to spell out specifics."

Gibbie
Old 17 March 2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstarr View Post
LOL at "cakes we like"
'Cakes we like', 'stuff to make spaghetti', and 'cereal for you and kids' all seem like perfectly reasonable items to have on a grocery list.
Old 17 March 2011, 07:08 PM

I'm sure my family and Gibbie's aren't the only ones who use shorthand or nicknames for frequently purchased foodstuffs.

Also, we know what they're buying on this one shopping trip. That tells us nothing, really, about their overall diet. What have they bought on other trips, or at other stores, or at a farmstand? Do they have a garden? What do they already have on hand at home?
Old 17 March 2011, 07:10 PM

Hello Kitty

Plus, now I want biscuits and gravy!
Old 17 March 2011, 07:10 PM

Exactly, Gibbie. And, who knows, this person could be buying fresh veggies/fruits from a local source, and so only needs stuff that doesn't grow there or isn't in season.

So their walmart stuff is more processed things.

Granted, lots of those things are really bad for you, but so the heck what? I'm sure whomever posted this on the OP site and whomever uses it to mock the author and his/her family has some less-than-healthy things in their life.

ETA: Darn. Totally spanked, but I like it like that.

Also, I want biscuits and gravy now as well.
Old 17 March 2011, 07:12 PM

Yea, it looks like the grocery lists I find in my purse written by my seven year old.

A lot of the things are stuff I write when I write a list for my husband. He needs to know what kind of whatever it is I want.

ETA: I forgot to submit that maybe the person writing the list was high. A lot of that sounds like munchie food.....

Last edited by mela681; 17 March 2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 17 March 2011, 07:13 PM

It looks like someone is making a list for someone who doesn't usually do the cooking and/or shopping. Perhaps the person who does is ill or away or plans to be away. In cases like that, I can see getting more convenience food.

And to hit closer to home, my father, who read all the time but seems to me to have had an undiagnosed learning disability, cannot spell to save his life. He also didn't typically do the cooking, and if he did, he made things like hot dogs or spaghetti. If he were to make a shopping list, that is what it would look like, and it would say nothing about his intelligence, weight, or health.
Old 17 March 2011, 07:14 PM

Know what it looks like to me? A list a parent dictated to a child while the parent was going through the supplies in the pantry.

I used to do it with Li'l all of the time (though this is not one of our lists, as we do not shop at Wal*Mart, and 3 ketchups is a lot for us).
Old 17 March 2011, 07:26 PM

FTR, I have multiple degrees (like many other here, I'm just sayin'), live in the suburbs, and am in pretty good shape. Anyway, my grocery lists look not nearly as organized as this one, and has scraw, shorthand, probably some misspellings (you would not be able to tell as illegible as it is.) I don't necessarily eat all the stuff on there (I keep kosher for one, and usually get meat at a different store than the other stuff) but there is really nothing wrong with that list. To me that looks like a list for someone having a small informal party, like a cookout, this weekend (for example- 3 ketchups) or just someone stocking up. And like Jenn said, I'll often put things like"yogurt-kids, yogurt-[DW]" because they eat diffrent kinds, or "boy's juice", or "pasta sauce" which on my list means a variety of fresh vegetables that I will use to make sauce, etc. And I sometimes put vague things like "fruit" or "cereal" which means whichever of the various items I or my family like that is on sale/ a decent price and looks good that day. Finally, if I shop for groceries a Walmart (more likley Target, but that is just because of where I live) one would think that I only ate stuff in boxes and jars and a few fresh items because that is what I get there. Most produce I get at "regular" grocery stores.

I think that was a long way of saying what Ryda said: "So, what is the joke?"

Sorry about the rambling post. This kind of thing really iritates me.
Old 17 March 2011, 07:28 PM

It looks like it was written by 3 different people.
Old 17 March 2011, 07:30 PM

IME, a person's spelling ability is a very poor gauge of their intelligence and literacy level. And I say that as someone who happens to be able to spell very well.
Old 17 March 2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
3 ketchups is a lot for us
That's the thing that jumped out at me. 3 Ketchups is a lot for anybody (although maybe WM was having a 3 for 1 sale and whoever wrote the list wanted to make sure the shopper took advantage of the deal).
Old 17 March 2011, 07:38 PM

We read the weekly flyers and very often buy both ketchup and barbecue sauces in multiples when we know they're on sale.
Old 17 March 2011, 07:38 PM

Also 2 bacons? Seriously? Who can exist on 2 bacons?
Old 17 March 2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
And, who knows, this person could be buying fresh veggies/fruits from a local source, and so only needs stuff that doesn't grow there or isn't in season.
They're buying fresh fruit and veg from Walmart, too (or wherever this list was used) - tomatoes, apples, bananas, grapes and unspecified salad ingredients at least. It doesn't look a particularly outrageous list to me.