Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 08 March 2011, 04:37 PM

Mister Ed John Wayne couldn't ride?

Comment: When I was young(er) my grandfather loved watching old westerns
and would often make the comment that John Wayne could not ride a horse
and had to sometimes be tied to the saddle. Is this remotely true, if not,
what would make someone think that?
Old 08 March 2011, 04:50 PM

According to this site - yes he did ride horses and was a stunt rider in the 20's and 30's. Not to mention that he owned his own horse that he used in several movies.

Other websites I have read stated that Wayne was an avid horseman and instructed people and gave advice.

Last edited by diddy; 08 March 2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08 March 2011, 08:25 PM

Default Not true

I agree with Diddy. I've seen several documentaries about him. Candid video of him riding horses demonstrate without a doubt that he was an accomplished rider.
Old 08 March 2011, 08:39 PM

I'd heard that Gene Autry couldn't ride, but I don't exactly see him being easily confused with John Wayne.

Any of these folks? http://www.jimwegryn.com/Names/Cowboys.htm
Old 08 March 2011, 09:08 PM

I's possible that the OP was thinking about Clint Eastwood who I have been heard described as an average horse rider. Not all western stars were able to successfully ride horses. Wayne made it look easy because he was a natural. It's also possible that the OP was thinking about a particular horse that Wayne couldn't ride well - not unheard of in the genre either.

I don't get the OP either. Watch a film with him and it's obvious that he is riding it without aid.
Old 11 March 2011, 02:15 AM

Does anyone know why they didn't have him ride in the final "charge" in True Grit? It's so jarring the way they cut from someone riding a real horse, to him on a dummy horse and back again. Were the cameras not capable of catching that back then?
Old 27 August 2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse goddess View Post
Does anyone know why they didn't have him ride in the final "charge" in True Grit? It's so jarring the way they cut from someone riding a real horse, to him on a dummy horse and back again. Were the cameras not capable of catching that back then?
It's been a long time since I've seen it, but is that the part where he's on his horse and holding the reins with his teeth, because he has a gun in each hand?

If so, I can see why they'd not have him actually riding a horse without holding the reins, as a safety issue.
Old 31 August 2011, 11:02 PM

Cowboy

Slightly related -- in Linda Ellerbe's book And So It Goes (wonderful book if you can find it, btw), she has a quote attributed to John Wayne: "I can't hit the side of a barn with a six-gun, but I can twirl one. It looks good."

I wouldn't be too shocked either way as to whether the attribution is accurate.
Old 31 August 2011, 11:17 PM

We were watching the original True Grit the other day (in preparation of watching the Cohen Brothers remake, both versions are excellent BTW) and I asked the SO if he could ride, she said he could ride, and ride well.

SO Is a phenomenal Horsewoman who competes in Dressage as well as competing in British Skill at Arms competitions and Napoleonic Cavalry re-enactment events so she properly knows what she is talking about when it comes to horsemanship...

I still contest that he could really act though!
Old 01 September 2011, 10:58 AM

According to my Mum, he has a couple ribs removed during cancer treatment, so in his later films couldn't mount or dismount, although he could still ride. I have no cites, and can't guarantee I'm remembering exactly tho', sorry.
Old 01 September 2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compass View Post
According to my Mum, he has a couple ribs removed during cancer treatment, so in his later films couldn't mount or dismount, although he could still ride. I have no cites, and can't guarantee I'm remembering exactly tho', sorry.
I read an unauthorized biography of Wayne, and it stated that he had a lung removed a few years before filming True Grit - cancer from smoking. The book (I can't remember the title, it was written by one of his ex-wives and ghostwriter) stated that he had to use an oxygen mask to catch his breath after some of the more physically challenging scenes.
Old 01 September 2011, 02:36 PM

GF's Dad is a huge John Wayne fan and recently told me that he once heard that Wayne hated horses. He was using it as a form of "gosh another childhood memory tarnished" and I think that's what gives such urban legends traction.

People like ironic stories about famous people, true or not. There's also a story during the era of Rambo films that Sly Stallone fail to pass a military physical back when he was a young man. There's also the famous UL about Mr. Rogers having been a marine corps sniper.
Old 01 September 2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
"I can't hit the side of a barn with a six-gun, ...
To be fair though, nobody can hit the side of a barn with a six-gun. Especially if they are firing it like shown in the movies, from the hip and with one hand. You are more likely to hit any target more than 20 feet from you if you just throw the gun at'm.
Old 01 September 2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Cavalier View Post
It's been a long time since I've seen it, but is that the part where he's on his horse and holding the reins with his teeth, because he has a gun in each hand?

If so, I can see why they'd not have him actually riding a horse without holding the reins, as a safety issue.
It is, and the same scene is in the remake, and it looks ten times better. I'm just wondering what the advancement is that made it film so much more realistically now.
Old 05 September 2011, 09:46 PM

Getting a little off topic; I'd say he could act; he just didn't have a large range (I always said he had 1000 roles and one character.) I think part of that was what he was allowed to do. For example when they remade Rio Bravo into El Dorado he wanted to play the drunk sheriff (the role went to Robert Mitchum). But if you watch Red River, and especially The Searchers, he takes on a more darker role than you're used to seeing, which I think he did pretty well.