snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 07 March 2011, 04:42 PM
Marshall

Default Bleached coffee filters contain dioxin, which causes cancer

I've been hearing this for decades. Using Google, I found many web sites saying this is true. Some said the EPA said so. So, I checked with the EPA. They had a fact sheet from 2003 where they said on the last page:

Quote:
EPA, the Food and Drug Administration, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission have jointly conducted a comprehensive examination of dioxin risks associated with paper and paper products. This review has included food contact papers such as coffee filters and food packaging, medical products devices such as tampons and surgical dressings, and consumer products like disposable diapers and writing paper.

The three agencies have concluded that none of these products poses a significant risk from dioxin exposure.
You can find the fact sheet here:

http://www.epa.gov/ncea/pdfs/dioxin/...ioxin_regs.pdf
Old 07 March 2011, 07:40 PM

Of course, the EPA statement of "none of these products poses a significant risk from dioxin exposure" does not actually contradict the threads title of "Bleached coffee filters contain dioxin, which causes cancer". Assuming that ", which causes" refers to dioxin and not the filter.
Old 07 March 2011, 08:31 PM
Marshall

I was just trying to counter the numerous articles found on the web telling people not to use bleached filters because the EPA said they were harmful. Just google bleached "coffee filters" dioxin epa and you will find many articles. For instance Green Living Works! said:
Quote:
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has found that the exposure to dioxins from bleached coffee filters alone is enough to exceed the lifetime “acceptable” limit of dioxins (there really is no “safe” level).
They did not provide a reference. I went to the EPA site and searched for any information on the subject. Other than long technical (unreadable by me) papers on the subject, the fact sheet I mentioned in my original post is all I could find. I found nothing warning of the dangers of using beached filters.