snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 19 February 2011, 01:21 AM

Icon401 New photo of 'English Nessie' hailed as best yet

Pictures of a mysterious creature surfacing from Lake Windermere have been hailed as the best ever sighting of the English Loch Ness Monster, or "Bownessie".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-best-yet.html
Old 19 February 2011, 01:48 AM

Standing wave. http://www.unmuseum.org/mwave.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpEev...e_gdata_player
Old 20 February 2011, 01:01 PM

I just want to say that 'Bownessie' is actually pretty clever. In most cases calling an alleged lake monster 'Nessie' when it's not from Loch Ness is just annoying.

For anybody who doesn't get it, Bowness-on-Windermere is a town on the banks of - yes, Lake Windermere.

Also, weird thing is not a monster. I don't know what it is, but not knowing what something is doesn't make that thing a monster. And most cameras these days can take better pictures than that, even the ones that come with phones. So how come every paranormal photographer is using cameras from the seventies?
Old 20 February 2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Standing wave.
not for a second suggesting that it's actually a monster, but the picture doesn't really look like a standing wave to me, it looks more like a large log if anything..

Scout.
Old 20 February 2011, 03:48 PM

^ The first link on mags' post suggests the sightings are the not the wave itself but rather the movement of logs and other debris caused by these waves occurring under the surface.
Old 20 February 2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I just want to say that 'Bownessie' is actually pretty clever. In most cases calling an alleged lake monster 'Nessie' when it's not from Loch Ness is just annoying.

For anybody who doesn't get it, Bowness-on-Windermere is a town on the banks of - yes, Lake Windermere.
I stayed at Bowness-on-Windermere for my last holiday in the Lake District. I took a cruise on the lake, but alas no monster appearance for me. (The same was true when I visited Loch Ness a couple of times. I suppose monsters don't like me.)

Quote:
Also, weird thing is not a monster. I don't know what it is, but not knowing what something is doesn't make that thing a monster. And most cameras these days can take better pictures than that, even the ones that come with phones. So how come every paranormal photographer is using cameras from the seventies?
I remember a comedy sketch programme in the 1980s about a tourist at Loch Ness. A local conman was trying to sell him a special monster camera 'that takes fuzzy out of focus pictures'.

More seriously, I remember reading an article in The Fortean Times which quoted a crypto-zoologist who said that Nessie sends out paranormal signals that affects the way video and still cameras behave. In many cases these signals stop the camera working altogether. Of course, the article did not believe him!
Old 20 February 2011, 09:19 PM

You know what's a more interesting picture? That one of Nick Collins in the link. Look how serious Nick Collins looks. Does he always look that serious, or was he trying really really hard to look serious for that photo?

He looks so serious, that I almost overlooked that the person who took the picture of the "sea monster" was this guy. Which totally makes sense.
Old 21 February 2011, 09:06 AM

Icon102

Quote:
And most cameras these days can take better pictures than that, even the ones that come with phones. So how come every paranormal photographer is using cameras from the seventies?
In fairness, I'm pretty sure that what they're showing above the article is a blown-up section of the original image. Even the best photos will look ropey if you enlarge them enough.

And you know what? I wish paranormal photographers were using cameras from the seventies – then they wouldn't be wasting everybody's time with thousands of pictures of "orbs".
Old 22 February 2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
it looks more like a large log if anything..
Fours beavers swimming in a row.

Can't see if they have mange, though.
Old 22 February 2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeebleFetzer View Post
In fairness, I'm pretty sure that what they're showing above the article is a blown-up section of the original image.
This article has a larger version of the photo, so the version from that earlier article was definitely cropped.
This report even mentions that the photo is grainy, so it sounds like the full photo is terrible quality.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
In most cases calling an alleged lake monster 'Nessie' when it's not from Loch Ness is just annoying.
The article goes one better with "English Loch Ness Monster"

There isn't a smiley to describe how I feel about that. Maybe a combi-smiley of:
Old 22 February 2011, 12:35 PM

stalker, I was ignoring the 'English Loch Ness Monster' in favour of the 'Bownessie'. Bownessie makes up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
not for a second suggesting that it's actually a monster, but the picture doesn't really look like a standing wave to me, it looks more like a large log if anything.
Assuming Mr Pickles' account is accurate, he described it as having skin like a seal and moving in rippling motions. I suppose it could be some kind of rubbery debris, but if so I wonder what? I can't think of anything that shape. Mind you, it's partly submerged and may not have been the exact same shape before it ended up floating around in water for goodness knows how long. Is there something of that approximate shape (or shapes, if the 'humps' are in fact four things strung together) that could be lost overboard from a sailing vessel?

I'm speculating wildly. It could be a model monster cast out on the lake as a deliberate hoax, or simply left behind after a previous stunt. Or a wave. Or a log. Or a monster. But probably not a monster.
Old 09 March 2011, 08:39 AM

COULD CUMBRIA'S BOWNESSIE BE A STRING OF TYRES?

Quote:
Holiday-makers have cast doubt on the existence of so-called Bownessie – England’s answer to the Loch Ness monster – after finding a tyre on the banks of Windermere
Old 09 March 2011, 11:09 AM

So these tyres were being pulled by a boat? You mean that this picture is a fake.

Just like the early photographs, such as the Surgeon's Photograph, that started the whole Nessie thing.

I have a postcard bought at Loch Ness in the 1960s that showed three humps. It has now been shown that these were bundles of hay covered in tarpaulin.
Old 31 March 2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
More seriously, I remember reading an article in The Fortean Times which quoted a crypto-zoologist who said that Nessie sends out paranormal signals that affects the way video and still cameras behave. In many cases these signals stop the camera working altogether. Of course, the article did not believe him!
I've heard similar things about bigfoot (that it has psychic powers that affect camera and electronic equipment). I guess its not enough to find a huge mythical creature, it also has to be magic.

I will say this, I truly want these things to be real. I was fascinated by the whole cryptozoology thing when I was younger and in many ways still am today (though far more cynically..). The idea that there is still some real mystery out there is something I truly was interested in. I mean sure there are still tons of animals to be discovered, but most aren't huge, interesting, mythical beasts.

I truly want bigfoot, yetis, loch ness monsters, and all those things to be real, but I have never seen anything that is even passable evidence that they are unfortunately.

-MB
Old 31 March 2011, 04:29 AM

Me too, Mickey. My biological anthro class in undergrad killed my ability to believe in other bigfoot and the yeti. It killed it hard.

That said, I really think it would be awesome to do a cultural anthropological study on Cryptozological/paranormal researchers. There's a whole community there and it would be really cool to explore the norms and unspoken rules. I'm surprised no one's done it yet (that I know of).
Old 31 March 2011, 04:49 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownKid View Post
That said, I really think it would be awesome to do a cultural anthropological study on Cryptozological/paranormal researchers.
I would suspect they would work largely like charismatically lead extreme churches - (and the Tea Party) eg. some alliances between the different groups out there, primarily through isolation from mainstream - and common allegiance against the mainstream - but significant underlying differences which get exposed and create fragmentation if they talk in anything but broad terms.

Dropbear
Old 31 March 2011, 03:40 PM

Oh yeah- like Mikey I had some interest in cryptids when I was younger, but the cryptozoology community has more types of fruits and nuts than trail mix.

First, you've got the genuinely interested folks who probably have a little science training. These people are pretty cool, they tend to actually be interested in sorting out the real stuff and disproving hoaxes.

Then, there's the ones who are a little too enthusiastic about proving that whatever critter they're chasing is real and will embrace any photo or video, no matter how badly or questionably made.

Then you get to the crazy ones. Little to no scientific training and they've frequently got a real chip on their shoulder when it comes to scientists anyway. There's a lot of religious nuts in this section who think that if they find a genuine sauropod in the Congo it'll disprove evolution and show that the world really is really 6000 years old just like what they learned in Sunday School. You also people looking for Mothman and the Jersey Devil, claim that Chupacabra is an alien, ect.
Old 31 March 2011, 05:09 PM

Snake

I found an article with a photo of the cut up tyre:

Here's the recent 'Bownessie' photo for comparison:

I'm as skeptical as the next guy (and on this message board that's pretty darned skeptical!) when it comes to debunking blurry monster photos but I suspect the cut up tyre might be staged. There's no way someone could tow it behind a boat and have it stay upright without heavily modifying it. It'd need a weighted keel at least.
Old 31 March 2011, 05:15 PM

Gutter Monkey, I think you are overlooking the most logical answer: the cut-up tire was used as a coat by Brownessie to protect itself from the poor weather.